autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does it matter what sponge applicator to use?

I have the following and will be applying by hand.

Poorboy's Professional Polish
    Poorboy's Back Hole
    BFWD

Can I use any sponge applicator for the above?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does it matter what sponge applicator to use?

Invest in some foam and/or microfiber applicators.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus one on Guz post, though I will add you may find ease or comfort in a specific applicator therefore by enough for all your products

Post Thanks / Like

There's a lot of options. For sure, if your applicator has some 'pick', it'll help you getting the job done better.

In example, LC CCS Hand applicators,

CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice!

The orange will offer more cutting power if you're trying to remove some defects, the white will be good for finer polishing, or even the compound on soft paints.

i.e, I'll use very well known products, meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish.

You can use the compound with the orange applicator, polish with the white.

Sure you can use any combination that fits the job after trying a test spot.

The 'inexpensive' Meguiar's Even Coat Microfiber applicators are also a good choice. They offer a good grip and the 'pick' of the Microfiber helps getting good results by hand.

Meguiars Even-Coat Applicator - 2 Pack: 2 microfiber applicator pads that are excellent at applying Meguiars products.

A Microfiber towel may work as well if you have good technique (fold it at least in 2 to get some cushion, DON'T exert pressure only on fingertips, but spread pressure evenly)...

Generally with Microfiber applicators, the 'Additional Cut' will be provided by product use, I may use either Menzerna FG400 or SF4000 with MF applicators and get correction with one and good finish with another.

There's a lot more options, like using small pads with a gripper, like polishing pal, etc...

I Have to go now, do a research and you'll find the one which fits your needs.

Also look for Mike Phillips's polishing by hand tips and tricks around the forum. Put some 'passion' behind the pad, move your hands at speed of light, some elbow grease, and you'll be good to go!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tato View Post
    There's a lot of options. For sure, if your applicator has some 'pick', it'll help you getting the job done better.

In example, LC CCS Hand applicators,

CCS Euro Foam Hand Applicators Trio - Your Choice!

The orange will offer more cutting power if you're trying to remove some defects, the white will be good for finer polishing, or even the compound on soft paints.

i.e, I'll use very well known products, meguiar's Ultimate compound and polish.

You can use the compound with the orange applicator, polish with the white.

Sure you can use any combination that fits the job after trying a test spot.

The 'inexpensive' Meguiar's Even Coat Microfiber applicators are also a good choice. They offer a good grip and the 'pick' of the Microfiber helps getting good results by hand.

Meguiars Even-Coat Applicator - 2 Pack: 2 microfiber applicator pads that are excellent at applying Meguiars products.

A Microfiber towel may work as well if you have good technique (fold it at least in 2 to get some cushion, DON'T exert pressure only on fingertips, but spread pressure evenly)...

Generally with Microfiber applicators, the 'Additional Cut' will be provided by product use, I may use either Menzerna FG400 or SF4000 with MF applicators and get correction with one and good finish with another.

There's a lot more options, like using small pads with a gripper, like polishing pal, etc...

I Have to go now, do a research and you'll find the one which fits your needs.

Also look for Mike Phillips's polishing by hand tips and tricks around the forum. Put some 'passion' behind the pad, move your hands at speed of light, some elbow grease, and you'll be good to go!

Kind Regards.
    Thanks Tato. I already bought the Chemical Guys microfiber applicators. I was just wondering if these are sufficient or if I need something with "cut" when applying the polish to correct the paint better.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, thanks for feedback. The cut of a Microfiber applicators is spot-on for hand polishing, specially using cutting polishes / compounds.

Use proper technique, and let us know if you need further support.

You can also feel free to shoot me a PM if/when in a hurry,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton