autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Carpet/Seat Cleaning Options

What cleaning method is everyone using to clean carpets and seats? I do some PT detailing and am weighing my options out. An extractor appears to be out based on the cost. Typically I have been using Meguiars Carpet/Upholstery Cleaner with a scrub brush and then vacuuming it clean. This weekend I tried using our carpet steam cleaner upholstery tools. It worked well to suck up the excess liquid, but trying to use the tool to distribute the hot water onto the fabric before I sucked it up was a disaster. There was literally water spraying all over the car.

Do I need to buy a dedicated steam cleaner for autos? The only other option I could think of is using our Bissel Pet Cleaner since the water is distributed into the fabric via plastic tip and not randomly onto the carpet but obviously this isn't the best option.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carpet/Seat Cleaning Options

If you're on a budget then one of the small Bissell machines and Folex work well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    If you're on a budget then one of the small Bissell machines and Folex work well.
    ^^^A lot of people on AGO use this method and it works really well
    2011 Toyota Camry SE - Magnetic Gray Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AeroCleanse View Post
    Agreed. This is the one I looked at:

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-SpotCl...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The thing is, it doesn't steam (and is discontinued) and for another $39.99 I can get this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00G00BT72/...=IWDHBL3ST09OA

I am still confused about my current carpet cleaner and why it is spraying water all over the place. I don't understand why the water wouldn't be distributed onto the fabric via the plastic tip so it's controlled. It just gets everything soaking wet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    Agreed. This is the one I looked at:

http://www.amazon.com/BISSELL-SpotCl...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The thing is, it doesn't steam (and is discontinued) and for another $39.99 I can get this:

Amazon.com - McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System - Carpet Steam Cleaners

I am still confused about my current carpet cleaner and why it is spraying water all over the place. I don't understand why the water wouldn't be distributed onto the fabric via the plastic tip so it's controlled. It just gets everything soaking wet.
    Two very different forms of cleaning though. For the extractor I'd be inclined to throw in the Little Green Proheat since it has an embedded heater and you won't have to worry about throwing in hot water as much.

Is the plastic tip connected fully? It should come out of a nozzle behind the carpet brush. If it doesn't click in all the way it may leak out. Also stop spraying just before you get to the edge of the fabric since it sprays behind the brush.

Post Thanks / Like

Go to one of the big box stores and pick them up, I think I got mine from Lowes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    Two very different forms of cleaning though. For the extractor I'd be inclined to throw in the Little Green Proheat since it has an embedded heater and you won't have to worry about throwing in hot water as much.

Is the plastic tip connected fully? It should come out of a nozzle behind the carpet brush. If it doesn't click in all the way it may leak out. Also stop spraying just before you get to the edge of the fabric since it sprays behind the brush.
    Here is a good picture of mine. The water sprays out of the white tip really heavily so it's pretty much impossible to do anything other than floors without flooding the car seats. It gets the floors soaked too. I am wondering why the water wouldnt dispense into tip itself and then get sucked back up. I guess I am supposed to spray everything down and then
    suck it back up but I figured it would be used sort of like an extractor.
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/He2m87ObXqI/0.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    Here is a good picture of mine. The water sprays out of the white tip really heavily so it's pretty much impossible to do anything other than floors without flooding the car seats. It gets the floors soaked too. I am wondering why the water wouldnt dispense into tip itself and then get sucked back up. I guess I am supposed to spray everything down and then
    suck it back up but I figured it would be used sort of like an extractor.
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/He2m87ObXqI/0.jpg
    Hmm that doesn't make sense. I have the SpotClean and here's a picture of how the carpet brush and spray works in it, much more concentrated.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere that the Bissell's with ProHeat, actually only keep the water warm and are not designed to heat room temp water up

Does anyone know for sure?

You could always use an immersion heater to get the water up to temp before filling the machine

I wonder what temperature water the Bissell's will tolerate, as they are all plastic?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I read somewhere that the Bissell's with ProHeat, actually only keep the water warm and are not designed to heat room temp water up

Does anyone know for sure?

You could always use an immersion heater to get the water up to temp before filling the machine

I wonder what temperature water the Bissell's will tolerate, as they are all plastic?
    As I recall they are designed to raise the water temp approx 25 degrees. Average setting on hot water heater is 120 degrees. So figure 145-150 max tolerance. The owners manual says not to use boiling water. I encountered the overspray you mentioned a couple of times. Shut off, disconnect hose, and reconnect. Also need to keep the tool close to the target because there is some over spray.

I have LGM pro heat, purchased from amazon this summer. If you encounter anything as dirty as mine, it's definitely not a weekend job. I used it for extraction after I used lots of elbow grease, carpet brush, folex, carpet cleaner, krud kutter, blotting with towels and finally lots of extraction with the LGM. For the seats just folex and a brush followed by extraction. Here's some before & after pics.