autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: two Q's: water spots & rinseless wash possibilities?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesboyy View Post
    your process should be as followed

-wash
    -dry
    -clay
    -carpro eraser/rubbing alcohol
    -Compound, and or polish
    -then wax or seal

Another eraser would be rubbing alcohol(either straight or diluted) and you don't clay bar the surface after you have did paint correction also before you attempt a paint correction be sure to do test spots with different pads to find a combo that works best also since you have a truck look into a clay substitute like nano skin eraser

take a look
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-results.html
    You do not have to dry the car if you are going to clay.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

your process should be as followed

-wash
    -dry
    -clay
    -Compound, and or polish
    -then wax or seal

Another eraser would be rubbing alcohol(either straight or diluted) and you don't clay bar the surface after you have did paint correction also before you attempt a paint correction be sure to do test spots with different pads to find a combo that works best also since you have a truck look into a clay substitute like nano skin eraser

take a look
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...n-results.html
    Ah ok I see, once you've done the paint correction (using eraser/rubbing alcohol) claying should never be done again until I'm ready to repeat the whole process... got it.

I also have a Camaro so I figured claying would be suitable for both vehicles; what's the difference between clay and nano skin eraser?

and I assume when you say paint correction this is done during the eraser process? What am I looking for in a pad exactly, what am I supposed to avoid since you say to test different pads for the proper combo?

Thanks a lot for the advice/help

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eandras View Post
    You do not have to dry the car if you are going to clay.
    you're right I suppose not; that makes sense I didn't think about that till you mentioned it meguiars suggested I use quick detailer to lubricate the surface being clayed but it couldn't hurt to let the water stay on the surface since the polish is going to take the water spots off hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like

While you are correct there is no need for drying if you going to clay, though since you have a lot of real estate(big truck) its best to dry so in case those water spots don't remove during paint correct though that's why its helpful to have carpro spotless water spot remover, as for clay and nanoskin they are basically the same thought nanoskin cuts claying time in half while giving you a ease of mind if you drop it cause all you have to do is rinse it, and go back to claying, paint correction is done after you wipe the paintwork down with carpro eraser/alcohol
    What you looking for in paint correction is the least aggressive pad/product choice that will remove most/some of the defects on your paintwork without burning through the paint

Post Thanks / Like

I do Duragloss rinseless (not waterless) all the time in overhead 95 degree hot Florida sun. Just do a panel at a time. Before drying, spray the panel with duragloss aqua wax and you've applied sealant at the same time. Nothing could be as easy and as effective. If I ever have had any water spots, vinegar usually takes them off before I do the rinseless.
    Glen -

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

While you are correct there is no need for drying if you going to clay, though since you have a lot of real estate(big truck) its best to dry so in case those water spots don't remove during paint correct though that's why its helpful to have carpro spotless water spot remover, as for clay and nanoskin they are basically the same thought nanoskin cuts claying time in half while giving you a ease of mind if you drop it cause all you have to do is rinse it, and go back to claying, paint correction is done after you wipe the paintwork down with carpro eraser/alcohol
    What you looking for in paint correction is the least aggressive pad/product choice that will remove most/some of the defects on your paintwork without burning through the paint
    Nanoskin replaces the claybar? Hmm ok good to know, too bad I already bought the clay but you're right I can't imagine claying the truck its huge.

So I should probably use m205 and a light cutting or light finishing pad since neither of my vehicles would have major imperfections; for a vehicle with more imperfections I may want a heavier cutting pad and/or stronger abrasive unless I should just get a finishing polish and only use m205 for water spot corrections and a medium cutting pad for water spots.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    I do Duragloss rinseless (not waterless) all the time in overhead 95 degree hot Florida sun. Just do a panel at a time. Before drying, spray the panel with duragloss aqua wax and you've applied sealant at the same time. Nothing could be as easy and as effective. If I ever have had any water spots, vinegar usually takes them off before I do the rinseless.
    I've tried all the typical remedies; vinegar wouldn't do it, nothing would and then I got duragloss 755 it does a hellva job for the most part but it still leaves a lot to be desired even after polishing the window a few times over.

I'd rather go for a waterless rinseless option, I don't wash my vehicles during the winter season other than maybe wipe down the road grime that builds up when it gets to be too obviously visible and again in the spring I don't bother the roads are too wet but late spring is when I do a major wash and then I do it at least 3-6 times during the summer and then one good major wash again in the fall (luckily for me I just washed the truck less than a month ago, so it should be an easy wash not so much for the Camaro).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mynetdude View Post
    Nanoskin replaces the claybar? Hmm ok good to know, too bad I already bought the clay but you're right I can't imagine claying the truck its huge.

So I should probably use m205 and a light cutting or light finishing pad since neither of my vehicles would have major imperfections; for a vehicle with more imperfections I may want a heavier cutting pad and/or stronger abrasive unless I should just get a finishing polish and only use m205 for water spot corrections and a medium cutting pad for water spots.
    Your plan sounds about right though only a test spot will determine what will work best for that particular paint system.
    Some may work good with meguiars m105 and white or green pad while others may respond to meguiars m205 and orange pad

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

when doing the eraser process do I use the nanoskin/claybar or do I use microfiber? I see that claying/nanoskin is the step BEFORE doing the eraser so hence I'm asking.

Post Thanks / Like

The eraser process you will use a plush microfiber towel to wipe the paintwork down

also look at this when you get the time
    ERASER vs. IPA (+ VIDEO)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast