autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Orange peal

Post Thanks / Like

Orange peal

I have a 14 accord sport. The paint has Orange peal.. not very noticeable in direct sunlight. Should this just be left alone or would the paint look amazing if it was fixed. .

I just realized as I'm writing this. orange peal is the paint not the clear coat correct? I'm gonna guess this would cost me a fortune to correct

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Orange peal

John
    Mean people suck

Post Thanks / Like

After reading a little about this subject on oem paint, I think I better leave it alone. Or have a pro do it

Post Thanks / Like

I did about a quarter of my vehicle with meg's unigrit disks. It did seem to remove a lot of orange peel, but also lost some depth. It's a trade off. You remove clear, which will have a down side in terms off depth-of-look, yet you'll be removing most of that annoying orange peel look.
    Even though the orange peel was in the base coat, I didn't have to go down to the base coat. I am not sure if there was any in the clear coat.

Post Thanks / Like

This seems like a relevant thread to ask this question:

Has anyone taken their ride to a paint shop and had them only add layers of clear coat? I too suffer from orange peel and don't want the risk of taking too much CC off and getting CC failure later on. Would the car have to be sanded at all beforehand, or would they be able to strip, mask, and then add CC? Thanks for any replies.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Belphegor View Post

Has anyone taken their ride to a paint shop and had them only add layers of clear coat?

Yes. I have asked a buddy of mine that owns a body show in SoCal and painted all my demo hoods when I worked for Meguiar's what it would cost to spray 2-3 extra coats of clear to a brand new car I had just purchased.

This was a brand new Honda Pilot, (family transport), and needed ZERO bodywork.

He quoted me a low of $3000.00

I would say that most body shops don't want or need the headache. It's a lot more work than most people know or understand.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Mike. It must be more involved than I had expected. Even with Florida's inflated prices, that's quite a bit more than I what I imagined. Thanks again.
    http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=71880&dateline=142020  6364

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that estimate is for smoothing it out then clear coat or just to spray clear. I guess if you planned to keep the car for awhile it might be worth it. If they buff it out then spray clear

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I did about a quarter of my vehicle with meg's unigrit disks. It did seem to remove a lot of orange peel, but also lost some depth. It's a trade off. You remove clear, which will have a down side in terms off depth-of-look, yet you'll be removing most of that annoying orange peel look.
    Even though the orange peel was in the base coat, I didn't have to go down to the base coat. I am not sure if there was any in the clear coat.
    Something in the process went wrong

You should have GAINED depth and distinction of image after the OP was removed....provided the CC was properly compounded and polished after the wet sanding step

What makes you think the OP is in the base coat? Is the paint on the car OEM?

Can you breakdown your process for each of the steps?