autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How to protect matte black stripes

So my parents just recently got a 2014 Challenger Shaker edition. This is what the stripes look like

their car is black instead of orange but this gives you an idea of what I'm working with I have gotten the entire car polished and looking good. And then I put a good coat of wax on the paint trying to avoid the stripes as best as I could. However you can tell there are a couple of spots where wax got on the stripes, mainly on the hood where all of the little strips are, and the stripes have turned a little white on those couple of places. It's hardly noticeable and if you didn't know it then you wouldn't see it. What kinds of products are out that that will protect those stripes without causing an issue?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How to protect matte black stripes

Tape would protect them from getting the wax on them. I have put Opti-Seal on a set of matte graphics on a Ford FX4 and that worked well.

HUMP

Post Thanks / Like

Blue painters tape

Post Thanks / Like

I've used sealants on stripes with no problems. Just ensure they aren't polished, especially since they're matte. As with anything do a test spot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mcate View Post
    Blue painters tape
    Yes for keeping wax off that helps, but I am looking for ways to protect matte stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    I've used sealants on stripes with no problems. Just ensure they aren't polished, especially since they're matte. As with anything do a test spot.
    Thanks, I was using a carnauba wax. I'll give a sealant a go and see how that does

Post Thanks / Like

The place I buy some of my stuff locally has a plastic cleaner and protector that can be used on matte stripes to help protect them and keep them soft. I used on stripes on my wifes mustang, then put a coat of crystal seal over them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMuf View Post
    Yes for keeping wax off that helps, but I am looking for ways to protect matte stripes.
    If you want them to stay "Factory Matte" be sure to use products designed and formulated to do so.

Here are some Brands that carry such products:
    •Nanolex
    •Dr. Beasely's
    •Swissvax
    •RatWax
    •Chemical Guys

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iMuf View Post
    .... I was using a carnauba wax. I'll give a sealant a go and see how that does
    I just have to ask....... WHY?!?!?!!!!
    (Didn't help those matte stripes at all, plus it'll get built up at the edges no matter how well you work to keep any wax product off of them.)

Carnauba isn't exactly the pinnacle of protection you know. More like what you'd put on there for a weekend car show. Durability, but moreover, protection is just something that it doesn't provide. Shine YES..... durability NO.

Better yet, (even though it's just a spray bottle) is Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. For that matter, almost ALL spray "waxes" these days are the farthest thing from carnauba you'll ever find, being as they are more of a polymer sealant than anything else. We use a LOT of DG 951 AquaWax both "virgin" and keep a bottle that's polycharged. We also use Megs 156 (the pro version of Ultimate Quick Wax). From there you might really like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant or Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray.

Neither of the last two are a "true" sealant, but they are a great way to keep things dusted and protected along the way. For a sealant you could do the WOWA versions of both, WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal or Blackfire Crystal Seal. (I have both and they are REALLY easy to work with.)

Now if you want a REAL WOWO sealant you could go with Megs M21 2.0, even Megs M26 "wax" is actually a sealant, and of course a really nice one is WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (seriously killer stuff) or Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. (I've not tried the BF sealant yet, but do have a couple of sample bottles somewhere.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cardaddy View Post
    I just have to ask....... WHY?!?!?!!!!
    (Didn't help those matte stripes at all, plus it'll get built up at the edges no matter how well you work to keep any wax product off of them.)

Carnauba isn't exactly the pinnacle of protection you know. More like what you'd put on there for a weekend car show. Durability, but moreover, protection is just something that it doesn't provide. Shine YES..... durability NO.

Better yet, (even though it's just a spray bottle) is Meguiar's Ultimate Quick Wax. For that matter, almost ALL spray "waxes" these days are the farthest thing from carnauba you'll ever find, being as they are more of a polymer sealant than anything else. We use a LOT of DG 951 AquaWax both "virgin" and keep a bottle that's polycharged. We also use Megs 156 (the pro version of Ultimate Quick Wax). From there you might really like Wolfgang Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant or Blackfire Wet Diamond Polymer Spray.

Neither of the last two are a "true" sealant, but they are a great way to keep things dusted and protected along the way. For a sealant you could do the WOWA versions of both, WG Deep Gloss Liquid Seal or Blackfire Crystal Seal. (I have both and they are REALLY easy to work with.)

Now if you want a REAL WOWO sealant you could go with Megs M21 2.0, even Megs M26 "wax" is actually a sealant, and of course a really nice one is WG Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 (seriously killer stuff) or Blackfire Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection. (I've not tried the BF sealant yet, but do have a couple of sample bottles somewhere.)
    Thanks man, it's my parents car. So we just used some stuff that we had laying around. But I will give one of those a try and heck I may just get a nice spray wax or something. Here are a couple of questions. Has anyone tried Carpro Reload on matte stripes? Would it keep the factory look?

I saw a video of that stuff and it looks like it does an awesome job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast