autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Coating removal question

I decided to try 22ple on my car this spring. I was looking at it closely the other day and noticed I had picked up some light wash marring.

I was already thinking of going back to my old sealant/wax routine anyway. I've liked the water sheeting and beading a lot but I think my car looked better back when I used Blackfire Wet Diamond. I'm not so sure I'm a coating guy.. I love the durability aspect of it but I just can't seem to keep my car completely swirl-free. Winters with snow and ice, snow brushes.. Here is the thing, I like having a swirl free car but I really hate the polishing part. Just so time consuming.. haha. My old routine was glaze, sealant and then if I had extra time.. a coat of wax every now and then

So.. I tested out polishing the hood with FG400 and a white hybrid pad using my Flex 3401. I then sprayed some IPA mix, wiped it down, and then sprayed it down with the hose to see where I got. The water did not immediately sheet off like it usually would.. but it eventually sheeted off and the rest beaded up like the 22ple was still holding strong.

What would I have to do to totally remove it?

Do I have any other options?

I was wanting to try Black Label paint sealant instead if I could remove the 22ple. I'm guessing it won't stick to the 22ple though. I almost wonder if I should just attempt to re-coat with 22ple and stick with it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Coating removal question

I'm with you. It just seems that in order to remove we have to do more abrasive polishing to a already corrected surface to start over. Or, as I've read elsewhere, let time and regular maintenance take over and it will eventually wear off.

Post Thanks / Like

i used 205 white pad few passes and it was removed on a spot repair.

Post Thanks / Like

I say give it another shot.

I love 22ple.. I get compliments everywhere and have random people come look at my paint and ask what I use.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe you can try putting bfwd over 22ple.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goleafsgo View Post
    I decided to try 22ple on my car this spring. I was looking at it closely the other day and noticed I had picked up some light wash marring.

I was already thinking of going back to my old sealant/wax routine anyway. I've liked the water sheeting and beading a lot but I think my car looked better back when I used Blackfire Wet Diamond. I'm not so sure I'm a coating guy.. I love the durability aspect of it but I just can't seem to keep my car completely swirl-free. Winters with snow and ice, snow brushes.. Here is the thing, I like having a swirl free car but I really hate the polishing part. Just so time consuming.. haha. My old routine was glaze, sealant and then if I had extra time.. a coat of wax every now and then

So.. I tested out polishing the hood with FG400 and a white hybrid pad using my Flex 3401. I then sprayed some IPA mix, wiped it down, and then sprayed it down with the hose to see where I got. The water did not immediately sheet off like it usually would.. but it eventually sheeted off and the rest beaded up like the 22ple was still holding strong.

What would I have to do to totally remove it?

Do I have any other options?

I was wanting to try Black Label paint sealant instead if I could remove the 22ple. I'm guessing it won't stick to the 22ple though. I almost wonder if I should just attempt to re-coat with 22ple and stick with it
    You do know that even a polished surface will slowly sheet off water and hold some type of beading correct?

IMO you have polished off the coating from the surface.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    You do know that even a polished surface will slowly sheet off water and hold some type of beading correct?

IMO you have polished off the coating from the surface.
    That would be my take as well.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hazcat View Post
    That would be my take as well.
    I thought the water would be dead on the surface and wouldn't go anywhere.

I actually have DP glass coating on my windows too. I had a 22ple run that I haven't had a chance to remove until yesterday. I hit that spot with FG400 as well. The rest of the window beads but then the spot that I polished is completely dead. I was expecting that response from the paint too.

Post Thanks / Like

spray ISO ALC on the area.. if the coating is removed the ISO will not bead, if the coating is there ISO will bead

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    spray ISO ALC on the area.. if the coating is removed the ISO will not bead, if the coating is there ISO will bead
    I gave this a try and the IPA was dead on the surface. Just for comparison I sprayed it on one of my windows which has DP glass coating on it and the IPA beaded up immediately and rolled away.

So I guess the FG400 was successful in removing the 22ple then.

Thanks. All the benefits of a coating are definitely good for me.. its been so easy to wash and dry, etc. But there is no way I can make it through a winter swirl free. I just don't see a benefit for me to spend so much on a coating just to have to polish and re-coat in the spring.

Or maybe I could just stick with a coating and live with the swirls.. hmm.