autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Polisher! What to do 1st?

I recently completed a round of waxing about a month ago on my 2014 Focus ST and my wife's 2015 Forester, both black. I did a coat of M20 polymer sealant, M7 glaze, and high-tech yellow wax (All Meguiars pro-line). I used my Sears orbital with a microfiber pad to remove the wax and it was applied by hand.

My GG 6" arrives tomorrow and I am looking forward to using it. Both of the cars look good, but in the sun they have some swirling. The Forester is worse and I noticed the clear coat on it is a bit weak. I am wondering what I could use to play with the new polish and attack the swirls at the same time? I might as well be productive testing it out. I have the following at home, all Meguiar's:

Ultimate Polish
    Ultimate Compound
    Cleaner Wax
    Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
    Deep Crystal Polish
    Ceep Crystal Carnuba
    Polymer Sealant (professional line)
    Show Car Glaze (professional line)
    High-Tech Yellow Wax (professional line)

If it matters, I have 6 lake county pads, mildly agressive up to fine polish. Will remove with lambswool pad covered in a microfiber.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Polisher! What to do 1st?

I have a 2015 Subaru Outback in black on order that I'm sure is going to come with factory / dealer installed swirls. I'm about to buy a Flex 3401 and I think I'll probably use either Menzerna FG400 or PF2500 right off the bat and then seal with Sonax PNS.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a number of variables here, especially without knowing the exact pads available. My first inclination is to start with Ultimate Polish on a white or green CCS pad. If that's not removing the swirls, move up to the Ultimate Compound on a separate white or orange CCS pad assuming that is what is to arrive.

Post Thanks / Like

What to do first?? Read through this thread by Mike http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-polisher.html

I would not be using a MF bonnet to remove the wax or sealant you apply--especially on soft Subaru paint. If the slightest bit of grit or even dried wax/sealant gets on the MF bonnet you are going to add swirls to the finish that you just removed with polish.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are worried about dealer installed swirls and the car isn't to dirty tell him not to wash it.
    Do look the car over carefully for scratches before you take it off the lot. If it is really dirty you may have to let them wash it so you can inspect it properly. This was my situation when I picked up my new car last year. It was pretty dirty as it had been on the lot a while, I let them wash it so that I could look it over. The car did show some light swirls but that's the way it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    There are a number of variables here, especially without knowing the exact pads available. My first inclination is to start with Ultimate Polish on a white or green CCS pad. If that's not removing the swirls, move up to the Ultimate Compound on a separate white or orange CCS pad assuming that is what is to arrive.
    That was my thought as well. I ordered pink-white-green-black-blue-red pads. Pretty much all of them except the mildest and the two harshest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotomatt1 View Post
    I have a 2015 Subaru Outback in black on order that I'm sure is going to come with factory / dealer installed swirls. I'm about to buy a Flex 3401 and I think I'll probably use either Menzerna FG400 or PF2500 right off the bat and then seal with Sonax PNS.
    I would think SF4000 would be enough to correct paint on a new Suburu that you are ordering. Since your ordering the car defiantly ask them not to wash it. Paint should be in good shape when you take delivery.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AustrianOak82 View Post
    That was my thought as well. I ordered pink-white-green-black-blue-red pads. Pretty much all of them except the mildest and the two harshest.
    Yes but you only have one of each pad nowhere near enough to do a whole car..
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post
    I would think SF4000 would be enough to correct paint on a new Suburu that you are ordering. Since your ordering the car defiantly ask them not to wash it. Paint should be in good shape when you take delivery.
    I would definitely start there.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

You can kinda do a whole car with 1 pad.. Just keep cleaning on the fly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast