autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated after my last wash...

I am a weekend warrior and only detail a few cars for business a month. Every car but one that I've done over the last 2 years has had a polishing step, so any water spots or poor drying techniques would be easily corrected when I work with the polisher.

The last few washes that I've done however have really left me frustrated. I don't know if my drying towels are going bad or what not but for some reason drying has been awful lately. I use a Wooly Mammoth drying towel that has been my go to for a year. Now it doesn't really soak up water but just pushes it around. Even my Waffle Weave ones aren't working as well. Could it be that after you wash them so many times they loose their "microfiber clinging power?" I was left with pretty bad water spots after the last wash on my own car. Here was my process:

In the driveway (sun or shade depending on weather...)
    - Wheels: cleaner, brushes, tires, rinse, yadda yadda...
    - Foam gun whole car
    - 2 bucket wash
    - Rinse w/ fire nozle
    - Sheet water with hose
    - Immediately drive car into garage

Garage
    - Mist down whole car with detail spray (I used Hybrid V7 this time)
    - Side kick blaster for typical water build up areas
    - Towel dry
    - Detail spray on wheels to remove left over water spots

I usually find myself having to go back again for some final quick detail spray to remove water spots or dirt and grime that the side kick blaster blew out of no where on a panel that I had already cleaned.

I know offer an affordable "Express" wash as maintenance for my customers so really want to improve this. Any tips? Thanks,
    Ben

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Frustrated after my last wash...

Have you tried doing sections of the car instead of doing the whole vehicle?

Did you change you car wash?

Ed

Post Thanks / Like

If your towels are not working, you make not be washing them properly. Your drying towels could have residue detail spray like V7. You should wash them separately from other towels.

I would start with soaking them in some diluted APC in hot water then wash separately from other towels in HOT water, then dry on the lowest heat. I also select the second rinse options.

Some resort to boiling or soaking in very hot water but never really tried that approach.

Blackfire Microfiber soap has worked for me.

For water spotting, you may have hard water so this can work against you. I would immediately start wiping down quickly and get the majority of the water off, then come back with the side kick, detail spray, and finish the drying.

What car wash are you using? Some rinse better than others such as Ultima Paint Guard Wash is a quick rinser.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    If your towels are not working, you make not be washing them properly. Your drying towels could have residue detail spray like V7. You should wash them separately from other towels.

I would start with soaking them in some diluted APC in hot water then wash separately from other towels in HOT water, then dry on the lowest heat. I also select the second rinse options.

Some resort to boiling or soaking in very hot water but never really tried that approach.

Blackfire Microfiber soap has worked for me.

For water spotting, you may have hard water so this can work against you. I would immediately start wiping down quickly and get the majority of the water off, then come back with the side kick, detail spray, and finish the drying.

What car wash are you using? Some rinse better than others such as Ultima Paint Guard Wash is a quick rinser.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've been using CG Maxi Suds II. Other washes I've used are Adam's Shampoo and CG Mr. Pink.

I was actually just talking to my neighbor and he says our water has lots of calcium in it. I just moved into a new house so the water change is part of the issue I'm having.

I've always washed my towels with CG Microfiber wash. I basically wash my black ones separate and the rest I divide into whites/lights and darks. I was on hot, no fabric softener, then dry on the lowest setting. My wooly mammoth towel has definitely been mixed in with all the ones I use for detail sprays, wax buffing, and waterless washes.

I'll have to practice timing things differently in the wash like you're suggesting too. Now that I think of it, I recall even seeing water spots from the foam gun and not a lot of dirt being removed from it. Maybe that step really isn't necessary? And I probably let the foam dwell too long on the paint and glass.

So you dry a bit, side kick, THEN apply some detail spray?

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest trying a different soap that may rinse easier. If I recall, Maxi-Suds does not rinse as well as Ultima. Meg's Hyperwash should work well too.

Are foaming then rinsing then two bucket wash? You can skip this just to reduce time water is on the paint.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe they are starting to wear out. It's my understanding that you shouldn't dry them at all. I know instructions say low heat but I bet it wears the material down faster than air drying.

Everyone has a different wash method. I personally think that's all crap. No bleach, no softener. That's it just wash them. And don't mix with cotton

Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated after my last wash...

I have experienced this phenomena. Its a function of the towel. Some towels just don't suck up water as well as others.

There could also be residue in the towel. Use a PBMG branded MF cleaner to clean your towels. Also, I'd get some Cobra Guzzlers or some WW towels from MF Tech.

That's what I use. I can dry my car almost completely with a single 16x24" WW from MFT.

MF Madness WW towels are quite good as well. I use them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ways to keep towels from getting hydrophobic:

Use a GOOD microfiber detergent like micro restore
    Air dry or machine dry low heat
    Don't wash drying towels with towels that have other chemical residue on them
    Replace them. Towels don't last forever even with great care.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AG Online
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

My guess would be that right around the time you noticed the drop off in performance, they were washed with fabric softener. It could very easily be accidental like leaving a dryer sheet in the dryer from a previous load, or the liquid fabric softener not draining out of the machine correctly from the previous wash cycle.

Wash again with hot water, detergent, and a quarter cup vinegar. If you don't use a dedicated microfiber detergent, make sure the detergent you use is not one that contains a fabric softener.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    I have experienced this phenomena. Its a function of the towel. Some towels just don't suck up water as well as others.

There could also be residue in the towel. Use a PBMG branded MF cleaner to clean your towels. Also, I'd get some Cobra Guzzlers or some WW towels from MF Tech.

That's what I use. I can dry my car almost completely with a single 16x24" WW from MFT.

MF Madness WW towels are quite good as well. I use them too.

I sense a MFtech order coming soon anyway love that site. I'll check out that towel.

So are there bad reviews for the CG micro fiber wash? I havnt seemed to have any problems with it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast