autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Frustrated...

I have put a lot of time into compounding the paint with different pads and the paint in the sun is awesome. But under florescent lights the minor scratches from winters in Mich still show. Am I to a point of wet sanding?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frustrated...-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to figure out if the defects are the original defects or are artifacts/marring left from the compounding step. Once you figure that out - it will guide you how to proceed.

If they can't be seen in the sun - they may just be marring. What is the color code of the BMW?

Mike Phillips

Re: Frustrated...

How about listing the products, pads and tools you used...

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I used a flex with LC Pads. I started with Wolfgang Swirl remover with orange then white pad. Not very successful. Them moved to Über compound with white pad and swirls cleaned up nice. The result in the picture. In the sun it is amazing. Maybe I should be happy with that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaBuss2014 View Post
    I used a flex with LC Pads. I started with Wolfgang Swirl remover with orange then white pad. Not very successful. Them moved to Über compound with white pad and swirls cleaned up nice. The result in the picture. In the sun it is amazing. Maybe I should be happy with that.
    Could you possibly post a picture in the sun or other lighting highlighting the areas of concern?

Post Thanks / Like

Last winter here in Mi was brutal. Everyone whose cars I work on used automatic car washes over the winter. Because of the harsh temps/winds, many of these places developed ice build up on their wash media, whether it be cloth, foam, of bristle.

I was closed for much of the winter at my place of business, and when opened, dealt with severe ice build up on my brushes.

The point is to try and avoid car washes in general, but especially if there is a chance for ice build up on the brushes.

From what I understand, you might want to pair the Uber Compound with the orange pad - at least in the ccs line of pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe Wolfgang's Über compound is the most aggressive of their offerings. My guess is the surface defects needed a bit more aggressive approach. Since Wolfgang's Swirl Remover is a bit finer, give it a try using a white then gray foam pad and see how it looks.

Daily drivers deserve additional attention to keep them looking good and Wolfgang products are formulated to give you the best results....

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I had surface scratches under the mirrors and down the sides from automatic washes but those cleared up. I used swirl remover with white pad after so it may be marring. I may be a bit over critical.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is the side view I was talking about
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frustrated...-image-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I had surface scratches under the mirrors and down the sides from automatic washes but those cleared up. I used swirl remover with white pad after so it may be marring. I may be a bit over critical.
    What towels are you using to remove the worked section from your polishing session?

Here is the side view I was talking about
    I cant see anything other than the side of the vehicle. Could you shine some light on it or take a picture of the other side with the sun showing directly in the paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast