autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ziebart made a mess of a brand new truck

Yes, you read the title of this thread correctly.

My dad just bought a new Ford F150 (Cranberry color) and took it to have it undercoated and Ziebart'd. The Ford dealer was told not to wash this truck before Dad picked it up. They did not prep the vehicle for pick-up, but I have no way of knowing what other damage could have been done on the lot.

Needless to say Ziebart left residue in places we don't want it like the chrome running boards, the plastic trim on those running boards, and in areas most detailing forum members would find it. There's also a film on the chrome wheels as well as residue from the tires on the side of the truck.

Most folks would probably want to take the truck back and make Ziebart clean it and that was my dad's reaction as well, but I'm actually glad that the folks at Ziebart didn't try any harder than they did to clean this truck because there's no doubt in my mind they would have caused more of a mess than they already created.

I'm not sure what this undercoating is. Looks like tar to me, but if it's rubber, then it hadn't had time to set up when Dad brought the truck to me to look at it.

I've never had to deal with this much tar/rubber and was wondering what some of you pro's would recommend to remove this residue from the paint, chrome, and trim? I have my own idea how to proceed as well as what to use, but I feel much better getting some input from you good forum members. I have APC+ as well as a few other apc's, but was thinking Tarminator or Tar-X. What do you folks think?

This truck will Mike's usual recommended step's in prep for an Optimum coating.

Thanks in advance!
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol. Undercoating. I used to apply that. We got it EVERYWHERE on the vehicle and overspray on every vehicle in 200ft

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ziebart made a mess of a brand new truck

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Lol. Undercoating. I used to apply that. We got it EVERYWHERE on the vehicle and overspray on every vehicle in 200ft
    Yeah, and then the OEM's started two-side galvanizing everything and undercoat (factory or otherwise) became obsolete, and even worse than nothing...so how is Ziebart still around and why would anyone do this?

IIRC some OEM's were even voiding the factory perf warranty if you did aftermarket undercoating.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do that too, we didn't care how messy we were, we just wanted to make sure the car was properly coated ... HOWEVER ... we were also a detail shop and the coating we used could be dissolved by kerosene/mineral spirits ... so we didn't have your kind of drama.

Try mineral spirits/kerosene or at worst dab some GUNK engine degreaser on a cloth and try that

Post Thanks / Like

I always used grease and wax remover to remove undercoat over spray. Since I live in a wicked salt-belt I always undercoat my vehicles to keep the undercarriage from turning into a rusty mess. I do a light coat of 3m undercoat MYSELF and touch it up every fall. Many moons ago I did make the Ziebart mistake and had the same experience you are having.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that folks in Canada swear by those coatings. Is it really necessary wherever it is Dad lives?
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like

Mineral spirits worked when I had my Jeep done. The shop I went only got alittle overspray on my rims, and when I called them up about it, the said they'd clean it up or if I wanted I could use mineral spirirts. So depending on what kind of employees they hire, will change your final result. The place I got it done was also a detail shop.

Galv. or not, under bodies still rust. That's why there in buisness. Underbody looks better and actually quieted the ride alittle. Plus, they also spray a different coating in doors and running boards.

Post Thanks / Like

The big problem with having a place like Ziebart undercoat a vehicle is that they usually don't do the proper prep work and spray it on way to thick. A bad undercoat job can actually speed up the rusting process by trapping salt water between the undercoat and metal. If done and maintained properly, it can do wonders keeping an undercarriage clean and rust free.