autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Easy Steps to Wet Looking Paint!

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    It's all about what makes YOU happy. That's too many steps for me, I get the shine I like from from my steps.

As far as critiquing:

The drying steps from step one and two should be eliminated.

If the layering of those products works for you, I would wash, then rinseless wash, then QD dry.

The less contact with the paint the better.
    or if you are gonna use running water, hose it off good then do the rinesless and qd dry, skip the first wash all together as it would be unncessary if you use a rinseless product right after

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    or if you are gonna use running water, hose it off good then do the rinesless and qd dry, skip the first wash all together as it would be unncessary if you use a rinseless product right after
    I agree, maybe only do all three steps if the vehicle is really dirty.

Less steps reduces the chances of harming the paint.

My personal goal is to reduce the amount of step/products needed to maintain my vehicle. When I first dove into detailing, probably like most did, I bought alot of different products for every kind of situation. But, as I get more experienced, I'm aiming for simplicity and effectiveness, but most importantly do what's safest for my paint. Looks come 2nd to "safety of the paint" for a daily driver IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Those are all interesting opinions. However, I can't guarantee that you'll achieve the same results I did if you use different products or alter the steps. Keep in mind that we are taking a shortcut here and bypassing proper prep such as clay and polish. If you do proper prep then the paint should look good regardless of what you put on top. But if you skip that process then you'll need to supplement with specific products and techniques to get a similar look, albeit temporary. I'm glad I was able to share my experience and hopefully the information will help some of you out there. Feel free to experiment and share your results. But try to keep an open mind and like the old adage goes "don't knock it 'till you've tried it!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the write up.

I think we all can agree that there are a few different types of ppl on here. Hobbyist, detailers, and then those aspiring to be one or the others. If this guy wants to write up something that he's tried and it saves him time and delivers results in his eyes then great. I'm all for saving time when needed. I didn't read anything where he said "this is the best and quickest method to achieve a flawless levelled finish" he's saying that for him this method delivered the best results in the least amount of time. Let's all get along so others aren't discouraged from posting in the future.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NikonGuy View Post
    Yep. I'll prep my car the correct way and then coat it. Coating lasts longer than any other LSP. Now I can just wash it once and it will bring back the shine
    This. I only hand-wash my vehicles once a month - pressure washer and foam cannon with CarPro Reset works just great for my weekly maintenance washes. Takes me probably 20-25 minutes for my car, and 30-40 minutes for the wife's SUV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brondondolon View Post
    Thanks for the write up.

I think we all can agree that there are a few different types of ppl on here. Hobbyist, detailers, and then those aspiring to be one or the others. If this guy wants to write up something that he's tried and it saves him time and delivers results in his eyes then great. I'm all for saving time when needed. I didn't read anything where he said "this is the best and quickest method to achieve a flawless levelled finish" he's saying that for him this method delivered the best results in the least amount of time. Let's all get along so others aren't discouraged from posting in the future.

Very well said sir

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up.

If it wasn't for the moral support of this guy right here I don't think I'd be able to go on.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Ray,

OK so you gave us a tip on how your method works for you, key words "Works for you"
    Don't let others ruin it for you, keep using your method ,I have my own but I'll try yours to see how it works for me, yes I'm a curious guy when it comes to detailing, even after 30 years of detailing I still love to try different methods and products.

Again thanks for sharing

Kevin

My first post to you I was trying to say if working on a car that wasn't perfect I wouldn't think I'd get the same results if I clayed, polished and topped with a great product, like the last truck I worked on, the paint felt like sandpaper, would your method have made it look better?, yes but the paint would have still been rough and the shine wouldn't have been where I'd want it to be, but for my cars which are always flawless I'm sure your way would work fine.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    Hello Ray,

OK so you gave us a tip on how your method works for you, key words "Works for you"
    Don't let others ruin it for you, keep using your method ,I have my own but I'll try yours to see how it works for me, yes I'm a curious guy when it comes to detailing, even after 30 years of detailing I still love to try different methods and products.

Again thanks for sharing

Kevin

My first post to you I was trying to say if working on a car that wasn't perfect I wouldn't think I'd get the same results if I clayed, polished and topped with a great product, like the last truck I worked on, the paint felt like sandpaper, would your method have made it look better?, yes but the paint would have still been rough and the shine wouldn't have been where I'd want it to be, but for my cars which are always flawless I'm sure your way would work fine.

Thanks for having an open mind to trying something new! The paint doesn't have to be flawless, though. It probably won't feel as good as if you used clay. And it doesn't correct imperfections like compounding or polishing would. But then again if it could do all of that there wouldn't be a need for proper prep.

My process works for me and others a well. I taught a buddy of mine (also an enthusiast) my process and his jaw dropped. He said he couldn't believe how it made his red Mustang look great in a fraction of the time it usually takes him. Later on that day I got a text message from him saying someone took pictures of his car with their camera phone, lol. Not that his car didn't look clean before but now it's sexy.

I've talked to complete strangers at the car wash and after helping them with their cars I'm asked where to buy the products I used. I had a college girl who was vacuuming her interior tell me she wished her car was a shiny as mine. I told her that if she had a little time I could show her how to do it. We ended up washing her car together and I explained the two bucket method, how to fold the towel, etc. She walked away from that interaction not just with glossy paint but also with a new education on how to properly wash a car.

Many similar situations come to mind where I've introduced people to the world of car detailing thru my method. Most of them had no prior interest in washing their cars and either used the touchless wash or someplace like Auto Bell. A small number of those individuals went on to learn more advanced things such as claying, polishing, etc. But I save advanced topics only for those that I see have enough enthusiasm to want to learn more about car detailing. Most people I've talked to probably won't but at least they now know how to wash their cars the right way.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up.

Agree!

Don't 'we' all some sort of technique/trick that helps 'us' to accomplish a task? I think it's great the OP spent the time and effort to write it all up and post.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast