autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Easy Steps to Wet Looking Paint!

Quote Originally Posted by RayBay30 View Post
    Why not try it for yourself before you pass judgement?
    I'm not passing jugement at all. I've been doing this way to long and 80% of the cars I see this will not work for. The AIO I used on the Mercedes only took 30min todo the whole car so anyone can do this very easy. If the cars are well maintained then your method would work.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all agree this 3 step method works on prepped paint only, right?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I'm not passing jugement at all. I've been doing this way to long and 80% of the cars I see this will not work for. The AIO I used on the Mercedes only took 30min todo the whole car so anyone can do this very easy. If the cars are well maintained then your method would work.
    So you've tried it exactly as I described or by using other products/techniques?

It depends on your definition of "well maintained". That could mean anything from a mint condition garage queen to a typical car that goes thru a touchless wash once a week. The majority of the vehicles I've tried this on are far from what we would consider maintained, lol. Some of them have never been waxed since the owner took delivery. I've even worked on ones that only got "washed" when it rained. Talk about neglect! There have been probably only a few that were so far gone that I couldn't do anything with because of heavy oxidation, rust, etc.

Of course doing things such as claying and polishing are going to make the paint look even better. If time and other factors allow you to do so then by all means go for it!

Post Thanks / Like

So you've tried it exactly as I described or by using other products/techniques?

It depends on your definition of "well maintained". That could mean anything from a mint condition garage queen to a typical car that goes thru a touchless wash once a week. The majority of the vehicles I've tried this on are far from what we would consider maintained, lol. Some of them have never been waxed since the owner took delivery. I've even worked on ones that only got "washed" when it rained. Talk about neglect! There have been probably only a few that were so far gone that I couldn't do anything with because of heavy oxidation, rust, etc.

Of course doing things such as claying and polishing are going to make the paint look even better. If time and other factors allow you to do so then by all means go for it!
    With your method you didn't mention how long that's taking you to get it done.

Post Thanks / Like

Instead of a DS wipedown, maybe a Glaze will serve better since most of them fill in very light defects?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    With your method you didn't mention how long that's taking you to get it done.
    Good point.

Depending on things like the size of the car, if I need to take a whiz, or if a hot chick passes by and I'm trying to get her number...I'd say anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes.

But then again I know this routine like the back of my hand so it's like automatic. For others if may take longer, especially if they take their time or focus on other things besides the paint. For example, if you decide your rims with months of caked on grime and brake dust need to be spotless it may take you at least half an hour just to do the wheels.

My time estimates are for the paint only. So anything thing beyond that you want to do such as prewash or waxing..you'll need to factor in the extra time for those additional steps.

Post Thanks / Like

15 minutes....

to get the soap bucket ready?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    Instead of a DS wipedown, maybe a Glaze will serve better since most of them fill in very light defects?
    Sure, why not?

It'll probably take a little longer but I believe we should all experiment. And if you come up with a variation of my routine that has awesome results let me know and I will try it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboToys View Post
    15 minutes....

to get the soap bucket ready?
    Smaller cars like Mini Cooper, Miata, VW Bug, etc. it's possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Smaller cars like Mini Cooper, Miata, VW Bug, etc. it's possible.
    i was saying it as more of a joke because i've timed washes before, and about the only thing that will get you a 15 minute wash is a pressure washer (already set up with a foam cannon, waiting for you, no mixing or refills), and a strong blow dry after as long as its already coated.

or a waterless/rinseless where there is no prep involved or cleanup after involved.

otherwise if you are filling up two buckets, (lettings your boars hair brush sit for 30 minutes adds a little time if you use one, so it can get soft) and then going to town with a spray down, wash, rinse, and dry. i don't think i've seen many people come close to the 15 minute mark without rushing and causing scratches.

the 12 minute car wash bays barely get the regular person by who doesn't use two buckets and brushes the whole car with constant soap supply. not includng drying.

maybe a video or two of the whole process would help people get on board with it?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast