autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3 Easy Steps to Wet Looking Paint!

Quote Originally Posted by slimnib View Post
    If you do it yourself, because its your hobby and you have nothing else to do with your time and energy, then you are correct. Why not kill the clear coat with constant polishing and correction.

It is your choice.
    Skill throughout process which includes maintenance - not reintroducing defects through poor washing technique - results in very few complete correction sessions and only very small amounts of clear being removed. I have many things to do, work, family, charity and my hobbies. I view none of them as a waste or poor allocation of my energy. Guess my attitude is different. To each their own.
    2015 Audi S4 in Mythos Black Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

I will have to disagree with this. Most cars to bring out any kind of wet look will need at least a light polish like an AIO. Here is a pic of mercedes I did a little while back and used Auto Finesse Tripple on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vrtcl View Post
    Skill throughout process which includes maintenance - not reintroducing defects through poor washing technique - results in very few complete correction sessions and only very small amounts of clear being removed. I have many things to do, work, family, charity and my hobbies. I view none of them as a waste or poor allocation of my energy. Guess my attitude is different. To each their own.

Vrtcl, I am in your camp on this one as well as allenk4 and RayBay30's. I enjoy taking care of my car as well as my girlfriend's and very close friends. I like trying different products and try to learn new washing/waxing/correction techniques if I see the need to improve. IMO for me at least; detailing a car is my stress relief and mind relaxation. I feel I am not wasting time and energy and causing more defects.

I believe maintenance is real important in maintaining a great shine and it is fun. Any technique that I see on this post is a possible learning technique for me to try. If I like it; I use it, if I do not like it; no problem either. I just appreciate the fact that people on this site gives great ideas for me to ponder upon.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I don't consider it wasting time cleaning and prepping my car correctly. If that involves using a DA to polish defects than that is what I will do. I don't take shortcuts anymore. If I prep and coat it correctly, with proper washing technique it won't need much more than washing to maintain the cars look for years

Not interested in covering up defects, I want to remove them and then protect car

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of people don't have the time, patience, desire, or finances to perform heavily complex detailing on their cars. So when someone comes up to me and asks what is going to get the fastest "OTC" shine for the price, I usually recommend a good soap, a spray wax to facilitate faster drying and spot free drying, and a spray wax again after the car is dry to really leave the car looking good and make sure the wax bonds better to a dry surface. That's a 15-20 minute wash and wax for me, and it certainly gets the job done to the level that doesn't require anyone to strain their backs over. I use Meguiar's Ultimate Quik Wax after the car is dry, as it has an ability to fill in minor swirls and has a better durability with regard to spray waxes. And when it's wet I end up using a cheaper spray wax to help dry the car, like TW Wax & Dry because it's cheaper and comes in 26oz and smells excellent (coconut). Doesn't replace doing it properly but it's a different method for people who don't have our perfectionist style mindset and just want a fast and decent looking shine.

Post Thanks / Like

This method would and will work on an already well maintained flawless finish.
    Thanks for sharing because some rookies skimp on washing there cars well.
    I always wash my car twice, reason is I use very little pressure on my wash mitt, plus it makes me feel better knowing my finish is as clean as possible.
    cajundetailingbykevin.com
    vpcajun@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pureshine View Post
    I will have to disagree with this. Most cars to bring out any kind of wet look will need at least a light polish like an AIO. Here is a pic of mercedes I did a little while back and used Auto Finesse Tripple on.

Why not try it for yourself before you pass judgement?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post
    This method would and will work on an already well maintained flawless finish.
    Thanks for sharing because some rookies skimp on washing there cars well.
    I always wash my car twice, reason is I use very little pressure on my wash mitt, plus it makes me feel better knowing my finish is as clean as possible.
    Actually the paint doesn't have to be flawless. My car, for example, sits on the outside under a tree. The paint has chips, swirls and scratches like crazy--and it's black so every flaw is even more visible. Yes, I know my process will not permanently correct these types of imperfections. The information offered in my post is an alternative for people that can't or won't do it the 100% perfect "textbook" way.

Here is a picture of my car after I got done:

Post Thanks / Like
    Your car looks good.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC One using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Well horse hockey...
    Yet another car cleaning process du juor!!

IMHO:
    Perhaps you should have left out any mention of time for completion of this process: I can buy into everything but a set time-allotment.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast