autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing the roof

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    Kind of a dumb question but I'm curious what you guys do. I use a step latter to work on the roof. But even with the latter I'm trying not to lean on the car and its just awkward. It's also tiring on the arms stretching out with the machine.

I need a forklift so I can lay down over the roof. Any tricks to consider

The work platform is your best bet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davidc View Post
    How bout rocker panels

Dave
    I bet he just reaches over and does the rocker on the opposite side of the car.

Mike Phillips

From this article....

High quality production detailing by Mike Phillips

The above was a customer SUV but I used to do the same thing for my SUV a Honda Pilot...

I use the Werner all the time for my daily driver... mostly for working on the hood...

Post Thanks / Like
    Another vote for the werner platform. I like the two platform back to back. I may have to invest in another. I also put some rubber bumpers that you use for children on your tables. That keeps you from accidentally scratching the rims or paint because those corners are sharp.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same problem with my F150 SuperCrew 4x4. I'm only 5'11" and have short arms. I also weigh well over the 225 lb limit on the Werner platform.

I can get to the top for washing and drying by getting in the bed of the truck and using a smaller stool from Harbor Freight for the sides.

The stool is not enough for polishing so I got a Voka combination workbench/scaffold from Home Depot. Very sturdy but I don't use it for washing because the workbench side is made of MDF. Problem is that it's heavy at around 45 lbs and cost $130. It does do double duty as a portable workbench though.

P.S. I should have looked at little more at Werner platforms. Just found one at Home Depot for $65 with 300 lb limit. That would have worked for me. The one I saw was a 225 lb limit.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually just do the roof first, so I dont have to worry about leaning up against the doors so much. Obviously we dont want to scratch them, so be cautious of clothing, but any small marring you might get will come out of the doors on your final polish step anyhow.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by rodneypierce View Post

I usually just do the roof first, so I dont have to worry about leaning up against the doors so much.

Obviously we dont want to scratch them, so be cautious of clothing, but any small marring you might get will come out of the doors on your final polish step anyhow.

That's a tip I include in my new Flex book, I use the example of buffing out classics because they roofs, hood and trunks are so large you can't help but lean against the sides of the cars to reach the middle of these panels so buff them out first, all the way to wax and then tackle the sides.

Works great for cars like these...

Testing Out Chemical Guys Black Wax - 1964 BLACK Catalina

But same thing goes for large trucks and suvs

Post Thanks / Like

I use a two step ladder and/or the rear tires. On my Liberty I have rock rails, so that makes the roof easily accessible.
    17 Land Rover Discovery: Fuji White; 07 Land Rover LR3 SEV8 4WD: Java Black Micatallic; 18 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara: Black; 05 Jeep Liberty Limited 4WD: Light Khaki Metallic

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to hijack at all, it is a related question. What I find is my back gets tweeked and wondered if the original poster, or anyone else's does too? I haven't been able to finish polishing the car b/c my back has been really sore after doing my hood which is huge and I have to stretch all the way I can to get to the middle. Now I also had back surgery a year and a half ago so I know that is part of it as it is sensitive anyway, but not sure how to go about polishing in the future and not putting any pressure on my back? I'm thinking of just laying on the hood as carefully as I can, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    Not trying to hijack at all, it is a related question. What I find is my back gets tweeked and wondered if the original poster, or anyone else's does too? I haven't been able to finish polishing the car b/c my back has been really sore after doing my hood which is huge and I have to stretch all the way I can to get to the middle. Now I also had back surgery a year and a half ago so I know that is part of it as it is sensitive anyway, but not sure how to go about polishing in the future and not putting any pressure on my back? I'm thinking of just laying on the hood as carefully as I can, but does anyone have any suggestions?
    Are we talking the Viper ?. If so can't you open and polish ?. The hood opens to the front doesn't it ?.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast