autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Hardwire sirius radio

I know this is not the right forum but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway for any advice or instructions.

I want to try to hardwire my Garmin and satellite radio into the fuse box or wherever else it could go. I'd like to try doing it myself but I'll probably end up having a professional do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's really not hard. You just need to find an ignition positive terminal from the fuse box and a ground someplace. There are various ways to tap into a fuse box - but if you are not familiar with them you may want to research it.

I usually just get a blade connector and connect it to the far side of the fuse. You also want to put a fuse in the power wire close to the fuse box.

Make sure you know what fuse you are tapping. I would shy away from anything that runs a module or runs any electronic controlled gimmicktry. Something like the cigarette lighter, defroster, or power seats is usually what I go for.

All this being said, I've replaced all those devices with an IPhone many years ago. The iPhone streams Sirius (and other things) and has a very accurate built in GPS. it's also as easy to charge as plugging in he cigarette lighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have to pay more for sirius on my phone and the phone takes awhile to find a gps signal sometimes. I'd love to just have one source but for me having individual specific units is sometimes easier. If your going this weekend to west Chester you can give me some advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hardwire sirius radio

Autoparts stores make a tapping splice that allows you to add a fused circuit to an exsisting one. You need to go ask them, I'm not sure what size fuses you have.

After you get that, you can either cut the end of each device and solder/heat shrink or buy a cigarette adapter that you can splice into the new circuit wires.