autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Who's planning to use Optimum Gloss-Coat?

Drama aside, who's planning to try Optimum Gloss-Coat?

I have a car scheduled for a few weeks from now, but I would be very interested in hearing more reviews and feedback before then.

From what I have read so far, its gloss is outstanding (very similar to CQuartz UK) but it is much easier to apply and the towels are re-usable.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Who's planning to use Optimum Gloss-Coat?

Ill probably end up checking it out however, my only thing I did not like about OC 2.0 is waiting for it to flash/high spots. With Cquartz you lay it on and you wipe it off, DONE.

But I am curious to see what people say about the Gloss Coat.
    Cars
    1972 Chevy Nova
    1994 Acura Integra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbadbp7 View Post
    Ill probably end up checking it out however, my only thing I did not like about OC 2.0 is waiting for it to flash/high spots. With Cquartz you lay it on and you wipe it off, DONE.

But I am curious to see what people say about the Gloss Coat.
    The high spot issue with 2.0 was something that you could greatly minimize if you simply adjusted the application method.

If you use the CarPro Block with CarPro's suede applicator, several back/forth and up/down passes on your work area will even out the coating so well that in warm temperatures, you can apply 2.0 with almost no high spots.

I'm not sure what you mean by CQuartz being an apply and walk away type product. At least with CQuartz UK, you have to apply it in very small areas and wipe off immediately or else you'll get streaking.

Post Thanks / Like

well i have it on my shelf, in my hand and hopefully within 14 days I'll have so results to share....just gotta prep and find time
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what the total cure time of Gloss-Coat
    is going to be.
    (With OC 2.0 it was anywhere between 30-90 days.)

Surely that will have some bearing on the when, where, and how of the application?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I wonder what the total cure time of Gloss-Coat
    is going to be. (With OC 2.0 it was anywhere between 30-90 days.) Surely that will have some bearing on the when, where, and how of the application?
    Not really, although there was some variation in the answers, Chris Thomas stated at least once that you could get it wet after an hour and wash it after 24 hours, also that you should wait a week before cleaning with APC etc. So in comparison to some sealants that you're supposed to keep dry for 12 hours, no big deal.

Post Thanks / Like

If I get it free, yes. There are just as good if not better coatings that last 2 years that are higher on my list.

Now if after 2 years testing shows the coating to have glassy like gloss, easier to apply, and happens to last longer than the current 2 year coatings, i may re-think my decision.

I'll be interested to see Corolla's test and follow the results for the years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HD.Detailing View Post
    If I get it free, yes. There are just as good if not better coatings that last 2 years that are higher on my list.
    how do you know? it's a brand new product, lol

i have two tubes en route. we'll see. it seems like a promising proposition to me since 2.0 was f'n awesome and this is improved in almost every manner, according to OPT.

if it's similar to Opti-Seal in application...which is the most brainless sealant ever to apply, then i think it's going to be a hit.

i just hope people don't think it's a forcefield, indestructible or scratch-proof like they (for some reason) apparently thought OCP was and at times, 2.0 too. weird.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    how do you know? it's a brand new product, lol

i have two tubes en route. we'll see. it seems like a promising proposition to me since 2.0 was f'n awesome and this is improved in almost every manner, according to OPT.

if it's similar to Opti-Seal in application...which is the most brainless sealant ever to apply, then i think it's going to be a hit.

i just hope people don't think it's a forcefield, indestructible or scratch-proof like they (for some reason) apparently thought OCP was and at times, 2.0 too. weird.
    did you read the rest of my post? LOL

Good for you for trying it.. let's see how it lasts.

Do a review start a thread and in 2 years if the gloss is still glassy and still working I may reconsider.

Post Thanks / Like

You keep saying this about the ease of application of Gloss-Coat: should/will be as brainless as Opti-Seal (vs. what it was with OCP/OC 2.0).

If true, then IMO there needs to be some updating to sites saying it's application is very similar (even the same) to OCP/OC 2.0.

TO WIT:

1. Polish paint with Optimum Polish II or Optimum Hyper Polish to remove any defects.
    2. Clean surface with 15% IPA solution to remove all polishing oils, waxes, and silicones.
    3. Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel.
    4. Wipe Optimum Gloss-Coat onto a single panel at a time in a thin layer using two directions, in a circular or front to back direction.
    5. Within 5 minutes, inspect the panel with adequate lighting looking for any thick areas that have not flashed away to clear.
    6. Use foam applicator or paint safe microfiber to even out any areas where you see streaks. This step is key, as any spots not leveled will have to be polished if allowed to cure. Panels will feel a bit tacky and will be self-leveling during cure time, so avoid any unnecessary touching, wiping, or contact to produce the best results.
    7. Repeat steps 1-6 for each panel where application is desired.

It doesn't appear that Gloss-Coat has been overly hyped as was the other Optimum Coatings were at the onset of their debuts.

I imagine there is enough evidence to the contrary now available to dissuade such marketing attempts.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast