autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the average time it takes you guys to compound with a DA?

I started a full compound regiment tonight on my car. I'm using Megs UC followed by UP. The car is in awesome shape just see a few tiny swirls/scratches I'm hoping to knock down a bit. Anyway it seems like it is going to take me forever with the PC7424XP. I remember doing this years ago now and I think it took forever back then too lol, that is probably why I've waited so long to do it again. I'm thinking if you guys can compound a car in a few hours then I'm doing something wrong. Seems to me even though i'm moving slow a lot of scratches I'm trying to get out still remain visible sometimes so I'm worried if I speed up what would be the point you know. They may just bee too deep without a rotary and/or wetsanding, but anyway what is the average time you guys spend on an average size car with very nice paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is the average time it takes you guys to compound with a DA?

It all depends on the vehicle, it's paint system, the level of defects, what the customer is paying for, etc.

I could spend 2+ hours perfecting one panel depending on the circumstances. It takes a while to do it right!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

What is the average time it takes you guys to compound with a DA?

Normally for me assuming the paint isn't in terrible condition it usually takes me at least 2-2.5 hours to do one pass on a coupe/sedan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas@Autowerx View Post
    It all depends on the vehicle, it's paint system, the level of defects, what the customer is paying for, etc.

I could spend 2+ hours perfecting one panel depending on the circumstances. It takes a while to do it right!
    Ok, I think knowing that I'm not going too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie335i View Post
    Normally for me assuming the paint isn't in terrible condition it usually takes me at least 2-2.5 hours to do one pass on a coupe/sedan.
    Does one pass mean you need to go back and do more? I basically work a small area until the polish is almost gone, so sometimes I make 10-20 passes to get to that point, guess I'm not sure what you mean by a "pass".

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    Does one pass mean you need to go back and do more? I basically work a small area until the polish is almost gone, so sometimes I make 10-20 passes to get to that point, guess I'm not sure what you mean by a "pass".

No sorry, that means one step of polishing or compounding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hokie335i View Post
    No sorry, that means one step of polishing or compounding.
    I see, I'm probably going a little slow then, but I'll just keep plugging away at it, it is a big job, and I have to go back and do it all again with polish aaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    I see, I'm probably going a little slow then, but I'll just keep plugging away at it, it is a big job, and I have to go back and do it all again with polish aaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

Well that's why I said on average. If the paint is in very poor condition I'll spend longer for each step. Just depends on paint type, severity of the defects and what you have to work with as far as pads and polishes go

Post Thanks / Like

I usually take around 5 or 6 hours to compound a average sized vehicle, but I am working on mostly harder paint and using a traditional DA

I think if you are using a DAT based polish, doing 6'ish passes per section with slow arm movement, this is 'normal'. Obviously with a SMAT based product where you can get away with 1 or 2 passes per section, this could be reduced significantly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    I usually take around 5 or 6 hours to compound a average sized vehicle, but I am working on mostly harder paint and using a traditional DA

I think if you are using a DAT based polish, doing 6'ish passes per section with slow arm movement, this is 'normal'. Obviously with a SMAT based product where you can get away with 1 or 2 passes per section, this could be reduced significantly.
    I'm thinking that it will take me around that to do it all as well. could you tell me what DAT and SMAT mean? So many acronyms around this place, I'm trying to learn them all lol.

Post Thanks / Like

It really depends on what kind of paint your dealing with. A compact takes about 6-8 hrs not counting prep time. I did a black Mustang took me 24 hours to do a 2 step paint correction And 3 hrs to apply coating cause it was 100 degrees.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast