autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Can a detailing product damage a driveway?

I cleaned my wife's car yesterday and this afternoon noticed these small, shallow divots in the driveway on the side where her car was located. I can't unfortunately get the close-up pic to upload but basically there a bunch of pea-to-nickel size small indentations in the driveway that are gray (not black), like it has been dug out with a small spoon. The birds-eye shot is attached.

I used ONR 1.5 oz-3gal for the "Garry Dean" wash preceded by Stoner Tarminator on the wheels and exhaust then Griot's wheel wash. If it could be anything I imagine it was the Tarminator but I did hose everything down afterward. I used Tarminator on my car last week with no problems. This was the first time I'd done the "GD" wash on the new driveway.

The driveway is asphalt and was installed in July (so not yet sealed). It was not a particularly hot day yesterday (about 75 degrees) and it has been cool here this summer (lately getting down into the 50s at night).

Any ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can a detailing product damage a driveway?-img_20140825_162623-jpg  
    "Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished." – Ferry Porsche

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Can a detailing product damage a driveway?

Was it the Griot's Heavy Duty (clear) or the green? My bets would be on the Tarminator since that's got solvents in it and the driveway is fresh.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I seriously doubt the asphalt was damaged by the products you listed

Post Thanks / Like

Damage, no. Stain, yes. Parts of my driveway is also hydrophobic now after my Hydro2 application on my wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Was it the Griot's Heavy Duty (clear) or the green? My bets would be on the Tarminator since that's got solvents in it and the driveway is fresh.
    It was the green.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I seriously doubt the asphalt was damaged by the products you listed
    I doubt it too but I can't for the life of me figure out what could have made those marks. No one drove on the driveway except me taking the car out and back into the garage. The marks are only on that side of the driveway. Perhaps some kind of animal? Miniature meteor shower?

Post Thanks / Like

It's hot out, you've still got some solvents coming out of the mix, add the pressure of the car tires, it's possible you got some reaction. You sure they weren't there before?

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say, mix fresh asphalt, heat, more solvent (Tarminator), heat and pressure from the weight of the car, is it possible some of the aggregate stuck to the tires and was pulled out? That might explain the shape of the "divots".

Post Thanks / Like

I would say that Yes tarminator could potentially damage an unsealed asphalt driveway since it is make for removing tar and asphalt.

"Spray Tarminator into a soft, clean cloth. Gently wipe a Tarminator-soaked cloth over pre-washed surface to lift and remove tar, sap, grease, and asphalt. For difficult residue, reapply or spray directly onto surface and let Tarminator penetrate for a few minutes before wiping."

Source:MoreShine | Tarminator

(note to mods not meant to post an alternate place to purchase so much as the manufacturer's product page)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Go outside and do a "Test Spot" on an inconspicuous spot of the driveway with Tarminator

Spray a table spoonful on a small section and see if it eats a nickel sized divot into the driveway

Why won't your cell phone let you take a close-up? Maybe borrow someone's and email it to yourself

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Isn't an asphalt driveway sealed with liquid asphalt?

Not sure why it being uncoated, would have much impact

Wondering

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by theblob640 View Post
    Damage, no. Stain, yes. Parts of my driveway is also hydrophobic now after my Hydro2 application on my wheels.
    This is what my wife thinks happened. That the "divots" were already there and that the Tarminator pooled in there with the runoff and changed the color from back to gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It's hot out, you've still got some solvents coming out of the mix, add the pressure of the car tires, it's possible you got some reaction. You sure they weren't there before?

EDIT: I guess what I'm trying to say, mix fresh asphalt, heat, more solvent (Tarminator), heat and pressure from the weight of the car, is it possible some of the aggregate stuck to the tires and was pulled out? That might explain the shape of the "divots".
    Can't be sure the divots weren't there before (see above) but the patterning of the divots is too widespread and random to look like they were done by tires.

Go outside and do a "Test Spot" on an inconspicuous spot of the driveway with Tarminator

Spray a table spoonful on a small section and see if it eats a nickel sized divot into the driveway
    Great idea. I'm out of Tarminator but will try and pick some more up soon.

Why won't your cell phone let you take a close-up? Maybe borrow someone's and email it to yourself
    This is precisely what I have been doing! The pic is within the size limits and somehow the other pic in the OP was just fine. I've tried with two different pics (jpg files) and I keep getting the "upload failed" error message in the popup window. I will post it on my website and then try to link it. That might work. I'll also try saving to another format.

Isn't an asphalt driveway sealed with liquid asphalt?

Not sure why it being uncoated, would have much impact

Wondering
    I don't know - I'll look into this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast