autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fighting Losing Battle

I typically judge the health of my LSP either after a post-wash rinse, or the behavior of rain on a clean car. Even if the car is dusty, you can tell the difference between a car with protection working and one that doesn't.

Concurr that daily drivers take a beating. Mine sits in blazing sun all day long, all year long. It is only garaged when I'm at home. My parking lot at work has no shade at all. Even in those conditions, I've found Collinite 845 and Klasse SG to hold up very well.

The OP's frustrations were one of the prime reasons I left carnauba waxes for a sealant. Sitting in the blazing summer sun or brutal winter conditions, my wax was lasting on a month or two and I was constantly having to re-apply.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

OK I will give 845 a shot since I have it at home. Not sure why I didnt before.

Still need a good booster product to go with it. I use V7 on my wife's car, but its garage parked at work and at her office so its hard to say how effective it is. Ive always been worried about stories that it kills LSPs, especially waxes, so I have resisted putting it on my DD.

Griots spray wax is easy to use and never streaks. I fear it adds almost nothing to the paint protection however. Its probably what I will use with the 845 since its carnauba based.

Tried OCW, streaked badly no matter how I applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh as far as judging protection, for me its a combination of how it beads and how the paint feels when I dry it off. When the beading is dropping off, and the paint feels squeaky when I dry it, I know its beat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post

Still need a good booster product to go with it.
    I'd look at Megs UQW and I hear DG's Aquawax go well with Colli845. V7 is a great product, but because of alleged chemical properties, it reportedly doesn't play well with Colli. You could also take a look at Prima Hydro Wax As You Dry.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like I am losing the battle with my daily driver. I used to park in the tree shade at work, but was always battling tree sap issues. I was routinely having to compound out a couple spots on the roof or hood a couple times a year where tree sap damaged the paint. Plus the car was getting so filthy dirty with all the junk coming off the trees.
    So I switched to another area that was more in the open but shaded by the office half the day ( during the afternoon ). But the sprinklers would randomly run during the middle of the day once a week or so, leaving awful water spots that required compound to remove.
    Recently I moved it again, to an area that has no tree shade, and no sprinklers. The bad side is, no shade ever, so completely exposed to the sun all day. The sun murders LSP to the tune of killing BFWD in a little over a month! First I tried Griots paste wax and it was gone after 3 weeks so I tried FK1000p and then BFWD, each of which lasted only 5-6 weeks.

Im not sure where to go from here - I am thinking of trying a paint coating. My car actually looks much better parking it in the sun all day instead of under the trees, because tree crud stays off it and the rain is much cleaner not being filtered through dirty trees.

I was thinking of giving a collonite wax a shot before resorting to a coating, or maybe Zaino.

Any thoughts?
    I feel your pain brother. I have been going after perfecting my daily driver for months now and cannot fix it as fast as nature and careless people destroy it.

I had someone back into my door and fold the edge over. I took it to the body shop for four days with a rental, and when i picked it up she looked great on that door. Literally, and i kid you not, one day later someone damaged that very same door on the bottom half of it. A long white scrape on my black daily driver with MISSING paint. It was just repainted a DAY or TWO ago!

I understand how you feel. I bought collinite. I used the guide on the forums here (awesome) to put it on. Its a great bulletproof wax. It extends the time it takes for the elements and idiots to damage her now. But that's the way it goes for a daily driver. I am going to buy another car and garage it just to have fun detailing where my results are immediately destroyed.

I know this post does not do much to raise your spirits, just wanted you to know that others feel the same way you do.
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Post Thanks / Like

Still need a good booster product to go with it. I use V7 on my wife's car, but its garage parked at work and at her office so its hard to say how effective it is. Ive always been worried about stories that it kills LSPs, especially waxes, so I have resisted putting it on my DD.

Griots spray wax is easy to use and never streaks. I fear it adds almost nothing to the paint protection however. Its probably what I will use with the 845 since its carnauba based.

Tried OCW, streaked badly no matter how I applied.
    I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax every three-ish weeks and it works really well. The post wash shine is noticeably better. These days when I wash my car the Collinite/UQW combo makes the water almost bounce off the car and makes the car very easy to clean. I don't know how much benefit I'm getting from which product, but it works and looks great. I'm happy.

When this bottle of UQW runs out, I'm going to give Duragloss Aquawax a try as it has a good reputation as well.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Why not try a coating? My wife has a black DD that sits outside all day at work through blazing summers and upstate NY winters. I applied Ultima Paint Guard sealant last winter and I think it made it about 4 months. I'm hoping to get at least a year out of the Pinnacle Black Label coating with just regular washes every 1-2 weeks and booster every few weeks. The stuff is not cheap but I am willing to pay for convenience and durability.

And I like Allen's suggestion about the sprinkler!
    "Our cars are meant to be driven, not polished." – Ferry Porsche

Post Thanks / Like

Of course it's a losing battle. If nothing else, your car will eventually get in a scrape and that will be that. Entropy always wins.

Several years ago, I noticed a very attractive, dark haired middle-aged woman on a hiking trail. I recognized her as a famous movie actress from the 1960's She was in her middle sixties if she was a day. Good genes and quality, long-term "detailing" were the key. This is what we should strive for in our cars. After all, we are not going to keep them forever.

If I can keep my car looking presentable longer, that's just that much longer I'll have the option of keeping it instead of trading in. My goal is to have the clear-coat fail about the same time it goes to the junkyard.

P.S. Except for maybe a pigeon roost almost anything is better than parking a car under a tree oozing goo. I'd experiment with one of the more durable sealants---we all know which ones they are--I would be conscientious with a weekly maintenance wash (I like the rinseless kind) followed by a little spray wax. Get a windshield shade for the interior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by peterhurcos View Post
    Of course it's a losing battle. If nothing else, your car will eventually get in a scrape and that will be that. Entropy always wins.

Several years ago, I noticed a very attractive, dark haired middle-aged woman on a hiking trail. I recognized her as a famous movie actress from the 1960's She was in her middle sixties if she was a day. Good genes and quality, long-term "detailing" were the key. This is what we should strive for in our cars. After all, we are not going to keep them forever.

If I can keep my car looking presentable longer, that's just that much longer I'll have the option of keeping it instead of trading in. My goal is to have the clear-coat fail about the same time it goes to the junkyard.

P.S. Except for maybe a pigeon roost almost anything is better than parking a car under a tree oozing goo. I'd experiment with one of the more durable sealants---we all know which ones they are--I would be conscientious with a weekly maintenance wash (I like the rinseless kind) followed by a little spray wax. Get a windshield shade for the interior.
    I agree completely. I enjoy detailing my daily driver as much as I do my garage queen. Is my daily driver perfect? No, not at all. Does it look better than 99.99 % of other vehicles that are 8 years old with 199,000 miles? Absolutely. That is as much fun to me as keeping the garage queen perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, note that you have come to the right place. The info provided by the members here and the products offered by Autogeek should turn this into a winning battle like it starting to for me.

IMO equipment to speed up the process is key. I need much more equipment in my arsenal, but it's fun going through the steps and accumulating things over time.

And remember, nothing truly worthwhile is ever easy. I wish you nothing but the best!
    The secret to getting ahead, is getting started..... ~Mark Twain

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12