autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which is your main "go-to" AIO (All In One)?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    How does Meguiars #66 compare to their D151?
    Art's postings comprise an excellent #66 testimony.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    I used a Rupes 21 with a LC 7" white kompressor pad. and 5.5" polishing pad on my HF DA for the bumpers.

There were some paint imperfections that M66 and the combo I described wasn't able to tackle (waterspots) it did remove a lot of water spots, but some were really etched in the paint. I would have stepped it up, if the job called for it.

I was really impressed with M66, it added a lot of gloss, removed some water spots and was really easy to work with, especially given the fact that I was indirect sunlight.

for a truck that big, I would price it at $400 for an AIO
    Quote Originally Posted by hernandez.art13 View Post
    oh and off topic: I was really proud of myself because I tackled this job completely by myself (hard for me to get on tall things). I did use Oneway's generator and his M66 though, but did bumper to bumper and rocker moldings to the roof. (Polished the roof all by myself, I even yelled at Tommy (Oneway Detailing) while I was up there polishing away "Hey Tommy look at me!!!"

The truck was full of mud and dirt, probably took it off roading or something, so I asked the owner if he could take it down to the local car wash and spray off all the mud.

I then did a waterless wash, clay, AIO and spray wax.

cleaned the windows and undercarriage.

Finally I did a waterless wash on the wheels and dressed the tires.

and thank you very much
    Sounds like the M66 really performs well for an AOI based on your testing.

So you used the white polishing pad the whole time for the body with the M66? Is that the equivelant to like a lake country "ccs" white pad in match and performance for M66? I have a few of those pads currently.

Also is it an immediate wipe off or were you able to do large sections and come back with the wipe later?

Wondering how well the D151 would do compared to the M66 on black vehicles with swirling...

Haha nice job on doing the whole thing yourself Art! That is a BIG truck to tackle especially in the sun.

In your opinion when you do a full detail for a large truck like that would you include an interior detail with leather conditioning as apart of the package?

Reason I ask is because I have a few friends with some large trucks so trying to figure out the best way to go about a price point with them knowing its a huge job for a full in and out detail but still well priced.

Oh and thanks again man for your in depth answers I really do appreciate it!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JoeHotRod View Post
    Sounds like the M66 really performs well for an AOI based on your testing.

So you used the white polishing pad the whole time for the body with the M66? Is that the equivelant to like a lake country "ccs" white pad in match and performance for M66? I have a few of those pads currently.

They both are polishing pads and by LCC so I would assume that they are in fact pretty equivalent, but can't say for sure, you can always call LC to find out for sure, and yeah I used the white polishing pad for the paint, and not just one pad for the whole truck lol.

Also is it an immediate wipe off or were you able to do large sections and come back with the wipe later?

As being an immediate wipe off, I am not to sure. However, I did do my section and passes and then just moved on. It wiped off really easily, from my understanding it's a DAT product. So it would make sense to me that one you worked the product long enough to break it down, one would just wipe it off. It wiped off really easily, so let's say you do forget to wipe off a section. I don't think you'd be battling to remove it like you would D151. If you work D151 to long and forget to wipe it off, you might hate the world for a while.

Wondering how well the D151 would do compared to the M66 on black vehicles with swirling...

Do you mean removing "swirling" or causing "swirling" as in hazing? I have used D151 on multiple black cars and it worked great.

^This car got D151 with a Rotary/wool pad, followed by M205 on a polishing pad on the Rupes.

^This one just got D151 with a Meguiar's Synthetic xpress spray wax for the final wipe.

I think when using whatever product one chooses, finding the right combo really helps finishing the trick, machine, pads, passes, etc...

Haha nice job on doing the whole thing yourself Art! That is a BIG truck to tackle especially in the sun.

I knew I could do the whole truck, just not in the sun with such ease. That's where I really started to love M66. Doing the whole truck wasn't a big deal to me, except the roof, that is where I had to think more than twice, but just said to myself "it's now or never" and thanks

In your opinion when you do a full detail for a large truck like that would you include an interior detail with leather conditioning as apart of the package?

I guess it all depends on you, if you agree to do the truck and they are willing to pay you $400. If they say, can you do some leather work to it for me? (Like a lather cleaner and conditioner) it's up to you if you want to take the $400 and say, ok sounds good and accept the $400. Trying to up sell the leather and conditioner won't hurt to try, but in the end do you want to walk away with $400 and have pictures of your work to show off? or maybe you can pass that offer up, because it's not your cup of tea.

I didn't do any interior work, (kinda like that about car shows, and I'm sure it's always a base by case basis, most of the work is for exterior only) Plus, people passing by are attracted to you work like bees to honey, and the ones that do are mostly car guy's, who have their cars at the car shows, which most of the time are beautiful cars, so it's a perfect marketing strategy. So it's a perfect time to start handing out business cards, getting new customers, and exchanging phone numbers.

Reason I ask is because I have a few friends with some large trucks so trying to figure out the best way to go about a price point with them knowing its a huge job for a full in and out detail but still well priced.

$400 sounds good to me, especially when it's in my pocket after doing the work, doing a walk around with the customer and him/her handing me the money lol, I know that other might say, I charge $1k for that job and takes me 10 days. Not disagreeing with them and good for them to, but I was at the car show and my car didn't show up so it was either do the vehicle or just go help out my friend and probably no pay, (would always help out a friend though) but glad I had my own customer that day.

I would do an interior/exterior. Such as door jambs, vacuum, dashboard wipe down, clean the windows, wheels and tires, clay and an AIO. If the vehicle exterior is not to dirty just do a waterless wash on the paint. As far as doing the leather, that choice will be up to you, if you want to do it as part of the package, up sell it, or just walk away from the deal.

Oh and thanks again man for your in depth answers I really do appreciate it!

NP, always happy and willing to help as much as I can

It's not letting me send the message by just answering your quotes, so just trying to use up some space lol. Oh and I bought a storage cabinet on Amazon today too. should be here Sat. since I used Amazon Prime.

Post Thanks / Like
    HD Speed

Post Thanks / Like
    Another HD speed user. Their polishes are extraordinary.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you apply using a polishing technique/speed or like you are just putting on a coat of wax. Never used a AIO before other than cleaner waxes. I assume you need to polish to remove the defects you can remove and then haze and wipe or just wipe off?

Post Thanks / Like

^ I used HD Speed for this job. I didn't have D151 yet. I used a Rupes 21 with white polishing pad. I would say I used more of a polishing technique like I would with M205, but maybe the speed bumped up a little fast so more like 3-4. Worked great and no complaints.

That's why it's always great idea to do a test spot to dial in your technique before doing the whole car.

oh and forgot my camera for this job, so these were taken using my cell phone.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a grey car coming up, that is getting a 1 step, and I have a brand new bottle of Optimum GPS. So might as well use it, I'll take pictures and post my thoughts when the time comes. So stay tuned!

Post Thanks / Like

I really like Klasse AIO.

I dampen a microfiber applicator pad and it's a breeze to apply to almost any paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Megs D151 and Durgaloss 501

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast