autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opticoat 2.0 discontinued, OptiCoat Pro sees price increase

Quote Originally Posted by tdekany View Post
    What are you a 2 year old? The e mail had the very same content he has been asking on this forum.

Not sure what is up your pants but man you are sounding worse by the posts.

How about this thought? Taking your on advice? I mean what do you mean by moving away to a far away location? What is that have to do with any of this? Try to caaaalllllllmmmmm down. After all, you are working yourself up over a product that you don't use, a product that went up in price. If you still can't understand why the 5 year warranty vs lifetime, there is not much anyone can do for you.
    The answer he is not getting from Dr G is about the math not working out according to the directions of using "a couple of drops" and getting 2 microns of film build on a given section/panel. The math does not work out if you only use "a couple of drops" per panel (as per optimums directions).

This is the gist I have gathered from allenk4's posts. If I am off in left field somewhere my apologies.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the size of the car, I usually do use 10cc for an average car like an M5. Most def. more than couple of drops per panel. However I must have missed that part of his post. Yet, I still have to wonder why all these questions about a product he has no interest using. Does anyone really use that little? Can one "cover" a regular sized car with 5cc? Most definitely. Thinner layer but it has been done many times.

Post Thanks / Like

Depending on the size of the car, I usually do use 10cc for an average car like an M5. Most def. more than couple of drops per panel. However I must have missed that part of his post. Yet, I still have to wonder why all these questions about a product he has no interest using. Does anyone really use that little? Can one "cover" a regular sized car with 5cc? Most definitely. Thinner layer but it has been done many times.
    I think it has to do with following the directions per optimum and being told that you will get 2 microns of film build with just a couple of drops per panel. I think his problem is with the fact that if you follow the directions given by Optimum, you will not get what Optimum says you will get (~2 microns).

Again, this is just my take on his posts. I have not looked at the directions for OC 2.0 in quite a while as I still have yet to use the syringe I purchased over a year ago.

I am just trying to interject a little clarity to his posts as it seemed more like you guys were starting to talk past each other as opposed to getting closer to real answers.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have faith or believe in Optimum and the product, then continue using it. If you sense shenanigan, then move on another product. There are plenty of choices.
    There is vast amounts of knowledge at your fingertips, use Google, Youtube, and the search button.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfOC View Post
    If you have faith or believe in Optimum and the product, then continue using it. If you sense shenanigan, then move on another product. There are plenty of choices.
    +1!

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
    I think it has to do with following the directions per optimum and being told that you will get 2 microns of film build with just a couple of drops per panel. I think his problem is with the fact that if you follow the directions given by Optimum, you will not get what Optimum says you will get (~2 microns).

Again, this is just my take on his posts. I have not looked at the directions for OC 2.0 in quite a while as I still have yet to use the syringe I purchased over a year ago.

I am just trying to interject a little clarity to his posts as it seemed more like you guys were starting to talk past each other as opposed to getting closer to real answers.
    Does it say anywhere that if you use 2 drops per panel once the applicator is primed that you get 2 microns?

Post Thanks / Like

Does it say anywhere that if you use 2 drops per panel once the applicator is primed that you get 2 microns?
    Like I said, I haven't looked at the instructions in quite a while. I will check them out when I get home from work though. I remember hearing people say it in videos and the phrase being used a lot around the forums, but I do not recall the exact wording in the instructions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tommythecat View Post
    Like I said, I haven't looked at the instructions in quite a while. I will check them out when I get home from work though. I remember hearing people say it in videos and the phrase being used a lot around the forums, but I do not recall the exact wording in the instructions.
    I'll save you the trouble. Step 3 from the syringe says: "Prime the applicator by making an X pattern across the pad. Only a few drops will be needed for each subsequent panel."

At this point, who really cares? This is a discontinued product with no claimed film build. A "few drops" is hardly a technical measurement, how many is a few?

How did we get stuck on whether a few drops is enough for a panel? Dr. G has already answered the person interested that it will take 20cc to cover his truck. Do you guys want an apology from Dr. G about the OC 2.0 instructions? Maybe he should just take it off the market...oh wait, he did. And that is what this thread was about until we started measuring drops and expressing outrage that people forward emails.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Seriously?!?!? That's the best you've got ?!?

If a sales person made that statment it would only show their ignorance. Paint that is permanent - L-O-L
    So I am assuming you don't use terms like permanent structure?
    In the grand scheme of things nothing is really permanent. I think it is reasonable to talk about functional permanence though. For example the sun isn't permanent, but it is permanent enough for my purposes.

I once had some well dressed guys knocking on my door who tried to convince me that even death isn't permanent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    i think the warranty requirement as part of the OCP purchase helps against dishonesty, because in a way it's a log to tie the car to the OCP purchase with OPT. i'm sure it is something that has to be filled out by the detailer and/or registered with OPT, right? if not, then forgive me.

also, the quota helps as well. hard to post a bunch of OCP installations on your facebook page or via internet write ups that aren't actually OCP if you aren't making the purchases from OPT to correspond.

the quota idea also seems to help against detailers using OPT's authorized installer status to bait customers and then switch them into something else, even a product that isn't OPT's. will that happen no matter what? of course, because of many reasons (and not all of them involving any dishonesty), but at least the quota somewhat guarantees some sort of legitimacy to staying on that installer list and being referred by OPT with the hopes that the customer will actually get OPT stuff. it's a way to tie everything together in my eyes.

sorry to keep butting in here with these thoughts as i'm not a pro installer. but, i'm in an end of the industry that has a ton of parallels to this exact type of situation.
    While you do make a good point there, it's only valid when someone actually wants the warranty or is even aware that it comes with one. In the last 4+ years none of my clients have wanted or asked for the warranty. It's a worthless piece of paper and the fact that installers no longer have to option to choose in offering it sucks! Even with CQF, very few of my clients even want the warranty info when I fill it out and offer it to them.

The below is a quote from another forum, but I feel it's one of the best post about the changes Opt made on the Pro side.

Chris,

Reading your post you stated there was no price increase rather a discontinued kit and the only kit is a warrantied version. Then you stated that the "addl warranty cost should be directly passed to the client and presented as a value."

So by removing the less expensive version, or an option for the client to choose, how would you view that? Technically that may NOT be a price increase but that is a loss to me as a consumer/perspective client. I view that as a price increase because I lost a less expensive option. I asked two friends of mine, who happen to be perspective clients of a coating application, and they viewed it the same way after reading the posts. I'm not a business person nor am I a professional detailer so maybe I don't understand it from those aspects. Bottom line is that last week if I had inquired about an Opti Pro application, I had choices and a level on how much weight my wallet would loose. Now, there is only 1 way and a specific amount of weight my wallet looses.

As far as warranties, I believe that they should be "Optional." What if I go to Best Buy, Cabela's, or buy a new vehicle and I am forced to pay for a warranty that I do not want? So, I guess, it is justified to talk the client into how great it is but you are getting it whether you like it or not? I dare not say forced because, in the case of Opti Coat, I can walk away and say Nah, I'll go with ____________, because I have the choice and financial say of not taking something that I do not want.

As I have gotten older, I try and stay out of offering my opinion on something I know little about. After a few days of reading and your post I just felt stirred to throw in my two cents..as a client, consumer, or what ever I am labeled.

FYI...If folks go thru my post's they will see I am indeed an Optimum fan. I certainly don't begrudge a business making a profit and for change but maybe a lesson can be learned from this.

I agree with June Bug I do believe the market will dictate as to whether or not the change is successful. I can tell you my two friend's, ie the perspective coating clients I mentioned earlier, are 85% leaning towards another coating because of price and what they have been reading. When they asked my opinion I told them, "it's your investment, do what you feel is best for you."

I hope each and everyone of you have a Great Weekend! Maybe it's time we walk away from this topic for a few days and take a breather. Besides College Football has begun...geesh another topic that can get folks fired up!

WAR EAGLE!
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546 LastLast