autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Opticoat 2.0 discontinued, OptiCoat Pro sees price increase

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Seems as if there will no longer be a "Permanent" consumer level coating from optimum
    I don't think it should have been labeled as permanent to begin with. So maybe they are just being more realistic.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I'm sure they still consider OCP to be a "permanent" coating even though it will only have a 5 year warranty.
    correct. and someone let me know if i'm wrong but there are instances where lifetime warranty is still available. to me, that backs up your thought, Setec.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a business decision?

I know when I apply oc2.0 I won't be buying any waxes or sealants for a very long time.
    2010 Honda Civic LX-S Crystal Black Pearl

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    also, i'd be willing to bet that the Gloss-Coat product is superior to 2.0 in every way
    I would also like that to be true, however I know that in the pro detailer ranks there was a LOT of pressure to keep Opti-Coat pro only from the beginning, and to make the pro installer program even more restrictive than it has been, with exclusive territories, etc.

We've already seen the interior product come out and it be stated there would be no consumer version. I can see there being pressure from the pro installer community to "degrade" the consumer version so it's non-competitive with the Pro version.

Post Thanks / Like

So price is $60 for 10ml.....price in line with other 2 year span coatings. Can't wait to see the first reviews. OPT releases good stuff, I am sure this will be the same.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    From what I have gathered so far opti gloss will be a 2 year life coating.

Seems as if there will no longer be a "Permanent" consumer level coating from optimum
    2 years? that's a disappointment.. but thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I would also like that to be true, however I know that in the pro detailer ranks there was a LOT of pressure to keep Opti-Coat pro only from the beginning, and to make the pro installer program even more restrictive than it has been, with exclusive territories, etc.

We've already seen the interior product come out and it be stated there would be no consumer version. I can see there being pressure from the pro installer community to "degrade" the consumer version so it's non-competitive with the Pro version.
    i can understand why pros want to do that, but it makes the market entirely too small and imo to respond to competitive calls, they had to release a consumer version but make it different enough to leave enough room in the market for both.

personally, i think they did a good job of doing that. the specs and end result were different enough to make one worth more than the other. and interestingly enough...it worked for the pros too since 1. 2.0 has been a nice alternative for many customers walking through pro shop doors and 2. 2.0 has still been somewhat intimidating to a lot of people, even people on here, let alone the general public. so, while it opened the doors to a lot of people going DIY, i don't think it did damage to pro biz because the only people who would really use 2.0 by themselves were people who wouldn't go to a pro in the first place. imo, of course.

as far as the question of the semantics re: "permanent"

here is what Chris has said recently when someone spoke about that very subject...and i think it makes sense:

The understanding of the word permanent here is referring to the bond formed when the product is applied to properly prepped surfaces. Permanent here means that the product will not delaminate nor "wear" away over time. It does not need to be reapplied unless you remove it by mechanical abrasion. So to sum up, we use the term permanent but, not the word indestructible. It's just semantics, not hype. Lots of words have different meanings in different contexts. When selling anything, you need to believe what you're saying, so I understand why you don't want to overpromise. Maybe you can just say never need to wax again unless you compound. That's breaking it down to a consumers level anyway. Sometimes we get too technical for clients because we know the lingo and love the business.

also, considering the five year warranty, are there any real competitors offering anything better? i'm curious about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    2 years seems to be the standard now-a-days though, so its not too crazy...?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zelfiris View Post
    that's what CQ Finest's warranty is though...and that's a pro product! someone correct me if that has changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by builthatch View Post
    by who? certainly not the manufacturer. OPT does almost zero marketing that i've seen.

either way, there are plenty of pros all over the world who will refute your statement. they make a living installing OPT stuff.
    Opticoat has been sold as a lifetime coating...now it is considered a 5 year.

Seemed over-hyped to me.

Sent from my Alien Ship

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast