autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

The Tim Taylor Mentality

I was just reading a thread in a car forum I am on and it started out about PPF and Opti-Coat then turned more into polishing. Well this guy started posting about wanting a rotary and I just thought it was funny. Here's what he said:

Should I just get a rotary instead of an entry DA? All I read about is lack of power from DAs and I am sure that will dissapoint me after the 1st car I use it on and I'll end up wanting more power quickly. I'm not incompetent (I think lol) and have read and watched many many many videos and articles on how to use a rotary correctly and also using the correct pads, product and technique/arm speed. It would be hard to burn or ruin paint with the proper pads, proper polishes and sufficient arm speed and technique imo. Also, intricate edging will be much easier, precise and nicer with a rotary.

I just honestly feel I'll regret buying a weak DA, when I could've bought a rotary for roughly the same price (with better tank build quality to boot from a classic rotary...instead of a china/plastic built griots). Lastly, the rotary will be much smoother and quieter and comfortable, than a DA (which will jiggle your hand numb after an hour lol).

I'll get a rotary. It's something I've always wanted since the 90s - a true direct drive high speed machine and not a gimmick'y da. Tried a cheapy orbital a couple years ago...ended up not using it and did a truck entirely by hand instead because the orbital sucked so bad and was so weak and just felt like all it did was vibrate.

I honestly think(and have also read many times) the hype and rumors of the dangers and difficulties of using a rotary have been blown out of proportion through the years more and more, to a point where new people are scared of rotaries and get a DA instead. Yes, I read DA are good...but mostly from people that haven't used anything else. Then those people get rid of the PC and get a GG and love its' more powerful motor and doesn't bog down as easy (well...if you dislike "bogging" then y not just get a direct drive machine, no?). And many others, after their first polish job with the DA, they get tired of its' weakness already and upgrade and go for a true rotary and say they wish they went with the rotary from the beginning.

More Power!!!! It's always better, right?
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like
    He talks like he has owned both already. I have a feeling he's one of those people who can talk the talk up until someone puts a tool in his hand. Then he with be funny to watch

-Jordan
    Jordan
    -2009 Ford Focus SES Sterling Grey Metallic Coupe
    -2002 CBR F4i Silver/Red

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Tim Taylor Mentality

I find it funny how opinionated he is after never actually using either.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea other people were talking about the Flex and Rupes and what can actually be done with a DA and he just talked about wanting "more power". I wanted to reference AG and how much there is to learn here about DA's but I knew it was pointless...he's one of those who already knows everything.

I just thought the "more power" thing was funny...I could almost hear him grunting!
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

i dont think my hand has ever been numb from a DA... unless you count cleaning pads by putting a towel and holding the pad lol.

counterbalance is counterbalance. lol.

wouldn't be worth it to jump in and say anything, i would just post a couple of links to both good DA use and good rotary use and leave it at that. he will likely grab a rotary anyway and end up wishing he had a DA after he spends a few hours trying to remove holograms.

not saying that someone can't pick one up and be decent, but i know it took me a while to get technique down with my makita, and i still prefer the PC to the makita unless its getting rid of sanding scratches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah....I thought DA sucked....many years ago before I learned how to use one. Doesn't look like dude really has hardly ANY experience "buffing" cars. He knows it all - don't waste yr keystrokes.

Let us know if he posts before and afters.

Post Thanks / Like

On Tim Allen's Home Improvement TV series...
    Wasn't it Jill, that was the smart one?

Hopefully this "More Power"-Man...the subject of this thread...will be, someday:
    Receptive to having his consciousness towards
    "tools-of-the-trade" raised, as was Tim's.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

LOL

".... watched many many videos... it will be hard to burn the paint"

Post Thanks / Like

Does Binford make a rotary?

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Would I like a buffer with more power? Yup. Does my 7424XP get the job done? Yup.