autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally Figured Out My "Cloudiness" Issue When Rubbing The Paint

Problem has been driving me nuts for a long time so I decided to strip everything off the front facia and go one product at a time to see when/if I could duplicate an annoying thing on my paint. When my car is clean and I am wiping it with a microfiber towel, say after drying it or something, as I wipe it the paint turns cloudy with a white haze or something, really annoying. Eventually it will fade but wanted to get to the bottom of it. So I stripped it all with IPA, then applied my Adam's Buttery Wax (which I don't really care for anymore and am switching to Pinnacle soon) and tried the wipe test. To my surprise it was not the wax, that is what I thought it would be. Then I applied Megs UQW and bingo that did it. So even after I evenly and lightly spread it out and buffed it off, whenever I would rub the paint with a new clean towel I got the haze/cloudy whiteness. So my question is, is this a byproduct of it not playing nice with the Adam's? Could the Megs be bad, I think it is pretty old, a couple of years anyway. Something interesting to note is when I followed the UQW with Griots Speed Shine DS it removed the white cloudy haze when wiping with a clean towel, have no idea how or why and that is what I would like to find out if anyone could guess or knows? I used to have Adam's DS and it was awesome, I bought a gallon and when I ran out thought I'd try the Speed Shine and really like it too, but the Adam's DS would never remove the cloudy/haze thing from happening and the Griots does, not sure why. Anyway have any ideas, just curious is all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally Figured Out My "Cloudiness" Issue When Rubbing The Paint

I have found that some products don't play well together. My experience was going from BFWD last summer to Coll 845 for my winter sealant. When I did a rinseless with the BFRW that I had used all summer, I would get streaks. I switched to DGRW and no issues. That's the only experience I have had so far so I can't exactly comment on the two products you are having issues with, but it does seem that sometimes 2 different families don't get along.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdmaccord View Post
    I have found that some products don't play well together. My experience was going from BFWD last summer to Coll 845 for my winter sealant. When I did a rinseless with the BFRW that I had used all summer, I would get streaks. I switched to DGRW and no issues. That's the only experience I have had so far so I can't exactly comment on the two products you are having issues with, but it does seem that sometimes 2 different families don't get along.
    Thanks for the reply. Well just for kicks I went and picked up a tin of Mother's Pure Brazilian Carnauba Paste Wax, not the cleaner one, the Pure one. Put it on after an IPA wipedown and then retried the Megs UQD. Still got the same effect only much less, so there is something to it reacting more with the Adam's, but since it does it even a bit with the Mother's I'm thinking maybe it just does this on deep wet/red cars? Maybe if I used all Megs products it wouldn't do it, either way the Griots Speed Shine clears it up for some reason. I'm thinking of trying the Griot's Spray Wax and see how that gets on. Either way I guess I'll be giving my Dad the UQW because my car is having issues with it, albeit much less with Mothers on there.

Post Thanks / Like

I 'think'...Ult Quick Wax being a synthetic, the cloudiness may just be the UQW going thru its' 'curing process.' Much like its' big brother, Ult Wax Liquid does.

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

Post Thanks / Like

Reverse your steps. Adam's Buttery Wax is a carnauba wax, UQW is a synthetic. Synthetics don't like to be put on top of anything but clean paint. The synthetic can then be topped with a carnauba wax for more depth and gloss. Reverse your steps and I bet you don't have this problem anymore

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DanDB64 View Post
    Reverse your steps. Adam's Buttery Wax is a carnauba wax, UQW is a synthetic. Synthetics don't like to be put on top of anything but clean paint. The synthetic can then be topped with a carnauba wax for more depth and gloss. Reverse your steps and I bet you don't have this problem anymore
    I thought you were not suppose to use UQW as the first product on paint, it was meant to go on top of a wax right?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cfiiman View Post
    I thought you were not suppose to use UQW as the first product on paint, it was meant to go on top of a wax right?
    Right...er..wrong...er...it's more complicated than that. "Wax" is kind of a loosely applied term for what we here would call an "LSP" (last step product). Many "waxes" like your UQW, are really synthetic sealants.

When you say UQW shouldn't be the first product, that's because it's intended to be used as booster, applied on top of a "real" "wax".

What some of the other guys are saying is that in the old days (10 years ago) you would never try to put a sealant on top of a wax, as it didn't work. Today it's a little more complicated with all the hybrids and newer products.

Now, I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem. When you say cloudiness or haze, are you talking about the kind of haze when you apply "wax" and it dries, before you buff it off? Or something more subtle than that?

Post Thanks / Like
    What color is the car? I'm guessing it's a dark color like blue or black? What are the temps where you live? Hot?

Some QDs just haze on top of other products. I don't think you can break it down to a wax/sealant incompatibility - as Setec said; the lines are too blurred.

IMHO most liquid waxes are more sealant like than carnauba wax like. Usually they have significantly less actual wax in them than a paste wax (a necessary evil to keep them a liquid) and have polymers like polysiloxanes in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Right...er..wrong...er...it's more complicated than that. "Wax" is kind of a loosely applied term for what we here would call an "LSP" (last step product). Many "waxes" like your UQW, are really synthetic sealants.

When you say UQW shouldn't be the first product, that's because it's intended to be used as booster, applied on top of a "real" "wax".

What some of the other guys are saying is that in the old days (10 years ago) you would never try to put a sealant on top of a wax, as it didn't work. Today it's a little more complicated with all the hybrids and newer products.

Now, I don't know if that has anything to do with your problem. When you say cloudiness or haze, are you talking about the kind of haze when you apply "wax" and it dries, before you buff it off? Or something more subtle than that?
    The "haze" is after it has been buffed off and looks perfect. Then if you take a clean towel and rub the clean paint, this "haze" will appear for a few seconds like something is on the car but you can't see it until you "activate" it by rubbing it, does that make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    What color is the car? I'm guessing it's a dark color like blue or black? What are the temps where you live? Hot?

Some QDs just haze on top of other products. I don't think you can break it down to a wax/sealant incompatibility - as Setec said; the lines are too blurred.

IMHO most liquid waxes are more sealant like than carnauba wax like. Usually they have significantly less actual wax in them than a paste wax (a necessary evil to keep them a liquid) and have polymers like polysiloxanes in them.
    Yes, deep red as in my avatar, it is a red Viper.