autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

OCW as a topper?

Is there anything to be gained by using Optimum car Wax once a month over a layer of a durable wax like C845? I am thinking the UV filters will help and it will revive the look of the existing LSP. However, I strongly believe (Now) that products can not be layered so will OCW remove or degrade the underlying LSP?

I don't want to carry out durability rests and no matter which wax or sealant I use, I reapply every 2-3 months.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OCW as a topper?

•I don't see why OCW can't be used as a once a month "topper".

RE: Remove/Degrade

•Optimum spokespersons have stated that OCW will actually migrate down into, and through, their own Coatings to replace any displaced CC-paints' UV protectors...with OCW's patented UV protection.

-So if OCW can do this to Opti-Coatings, it should have no problem doing the same to Waxes, Sealants, or even other Brands' Coatings!

•Wait a minute...Hold the phone...
    Would this mean that OCW couldn't really be called a "topper"?!?!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    •Optimum spokespersons have stated that OCW will actually migrate down into, and through, their own Coatings to replace any displaced CC-paints' UV protectors...with OCW's patented UV protection.
    Where did you hear that? I heard (and recently posted the info here) that Opti-Seal, due to its solvent carrier, will dissolve waxes and migrate through to the paint, leaving the wax on top when the solvent evaporates (I would think in reality it's not a perfect process and winds up with some sort of wax-Opti-Seal hybrid), but I haven't heard any such thing about OCW.

And I have a pretty hard time seeing OCW penetrate a coating like Opti-Coat. I guess you can try it if Zach gives you that sample.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Where did you hear that? I heard (and recently posted the info here) that Opti-Seal, due to its solvent carrier, will dissolve waxes and migrate through to the paint, leaving the wax on top when the solvent evaporates (I would think in reality it's not a perfect process and winds up with some sort of wax-Opti-Seal hybrid), but I haven't heard any such thing about OCW.

And I have a pretty hard time seeing OCW penetrate a coating like Opti-Coat. I guess you can try it if Zach gives you that sample.
    Here's a couple places where I "heard" about this migration:

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomas View Post

A couple of things I find remarkable about Optimum Protection Products:

Regarding Optimum Car Wax:

With continued use, Optimum Car Wax's UV ingredients actually permeate the paint and restore OEM UV inhibitors that were used up/lost.
    "we add the same UV blockers that is in clearcoat paint, to Optimum Car Wax, to add UV protection to clearcoat paint". ~Dr. G

There's no need to remove OC, you only need to remove the excess product that causes the blemish. If its a dried streak or smear, just lightly polish till it goes clear. The coating will remain unless you're too aggressive and don't stop when it clears up.
    Abrasives will remove it. But, because it is not distinguishable from clear coat to the eye you won't safely know when to stop. There should be no reason to remove it...

The bond it forms is so strong, it actually becomes the topcoat.

Now, if you don't mind:
    Where did you hear about this migration phenomenon regarding Opti-Seal?

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Now, if you don't mind:
    Where did you hear about this migration phenomenon regarding Opti-Seal?
    Originally on the Optimum forum, go to post #7 here:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...ml#post1146465

Post Thanks / Like

From my ageing memory the OCW UV filters pentrating the paint over time came from the independent testing. I am sure Chris Thomas or Dr G said this was not a feature which was designed into the product but more of a nice feature they discovered afterwards.