autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: is there salt removal chemical for winter cleaning?

Quote Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post
    They must use magic salt in PA.

Wow. I don't get what is so confusing. We said WITHOUT pressure. You are not going to clean that salt off on pic above with water in a spray bottle. If so, I wouldn't drink it.

Again, no pressure, no car wash, no touching, no drain, in a garage. Spray it, grime falls off. Like the Whip's Salt Removal video. This is why a chemical is needed, the original and title of post.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not confused by what you are looking for, I'm just confused why a two-gallon bucket of warm water with 50¢ of D114 or ONR and a sponge is such a chore, when it frankly isn't. Or maybe this whole car care thing isn't so much pastime as burden?

ETA: How does one propose to hose off the Whip's-and-grime concoction without a drain?
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not confused by what you are looking for, I'm just confused why a two-gallon bucket of warm water with 50˘ of D114 or ONR and a sponge is such a chore, when it frankly isn't. Or maybe this whole car care thing isn't so much pastime as burden?

ETA: How does one propose to hose off the Whip's-and-grime concoction without a drain?
    I don't recall any of us saying it was a chore. RW's are quite easy. I'll go back and re-read.

Again, we were looking to knock off the majority of grime before a RW when running water, car wash, pressure washer, etc are not an option due to frigid temps. I've pre-sprayed the panels with ONR for extra lubricity but feel better getting the majority off first, which is what Whips or the TSP/Stoner Pre-Soak does.

Second part: No need to hose off, grime drops to the floor, but I do a rinse with a water-filled pump sprayer just to be safe. Whip's states you can go right to RW after applying. Never tried it.

This doubles as a cabinet shop so there are 4 ceiling mounted air scrubbers and natural gas heat so the water is quickly evaporated.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an honest question: does anyone here know what's in it? Why is nobody else marketing anything like it, not OPT, not CarPro, 3M, Meguiar's, anyone?

My biggest issues, as I touched on above, are putting unknown chemicals on my paint, adding more chemicals to the environment, storm drains or city sewer lines, and -- let's face it -- cost. Twenty bucks is a LOT of money for 32 ounces of mostly aqua, and from the videos it looks like you'd need a bottle of it to pre-treat an average sized car. Sorry about my cynicism, but to me it looks like a dead herring in the moonlight: it shines, but it stinks.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

I feel sorry for ANYONE who lives ANYWHERE where salt and snow are an issue. I grew up in Cleveland, Ohio and worked in the auto body repair industry for about ten years back there. In that time I learned a little about salt damage and rust in general.

The problem with washing the salt off your car is this... You're only getting the exposed surfaces clean. While that's not a bad thing, it's typically not where the majority of the salt damage is going to come from. The origin for salt damage is the places you can't get to. I don't care how much washing and rinsing and flushing you do, the salt has infiltrated to recesses where you're not going to be able to remove it and the resulting damage is imminent.

I know it's not practical for everyone, but if I lived in that type of climate now, my pride and joy vehicles would never leave the garage during the winter months. I'd have to have another car that I really didn't care about all the much.

Post Thanks / Like

I find using a karcher pressure washer loaded with wash and wax helps clean the paintwork and top side of the car and then the Karcher attachment to clean the underside of the bottom of the car which is washed and sealed!

This seems to be a bit OTT for some detailers but I like repeat business and referrals!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by musclecar22 View Post

Perhaps in your area they use something different on the roads. I think they add a little concrete in the mix they put on our roads!
    i think you should contact DOT and complain. Adding concrete doesn't seem fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Auto Finesse Avalanche via foam cannon and 5 minute dwell since it will be like summer here today. 40° woooowwhhooooo! My new pressure washer has a siphon built in so I'll hit the undercarriage too.

Post Thanks / Like

Valugard.net makes a wash product specifically for removing salt residue from the paint and the under side of commercial vehicles--PROGARD - Magnesium Chloride Remover
    Trailer, Chassis & Truck Wash – VG-502
    As well as undercoating products and excellent detailing products.

Post Thanks / Like

This is an honest question: does anyone here know what's in it? Why is nobody else marketing anything like it, not OPT, not CarPro, 3M, Meguiar's, anyone?

My biggest issues, as I touched on above, are putting unknown chemicals on my paint, adding more chemicals to the environment, storm drains or city sewer lines, and -- let's face it -- cost. Twenty bucks is a LOT of money for 32 ounces of mostly aqua, and from the videos it looks like you'd need a bottle of it to pre-treat an average sized car. Sorry about my cynicism, but to me it looks like a dead herring in the moonlight: it shines, but it stinks.
    i asked for an MSDS from them.

though, i'd be surprised how much worse the diluted emulsion is for the environment than tons and tons and tons of salt, calcium chloride and mag chloride. around here they put so much down and most of the time it's honestly not even needed.

two things:

liability and budgeting scams. everyone and their mother gets sued when there is a fatality in NJ. and, putting down salt requires overtime. they will fight tooth and nail to make sure they blow through the supply so they will get budgeted for even more.

i'll let you know what i get back.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast