autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions on detailing my new car

Hey everyone, I picked up my new Nissan Maxima yesterday and I am looking for some detailing product suggestions. If the weather holds out next weekend, the plan is to give the car a good hand wash and dry, light cleaner polish, followed with Blackfire Wet Diamond. The car is pearl white, so hopefully it'll sparkle like a diamond when it's done.

One thing I have noticed with Nissans, is that their headlights yellow and fade fast. I have seen this on Nissans that are 3-4 years old. I'm sure that their owners never apply wax or sealant to their cars, but the headlights just don't hold up well to the heat in the Southeast. I have noticed on my brand new car that there is a slight clear haze, by I can wipe it off with my finger. If left to settle for a long period of time, I'm sure that the lights will start to deteriorate and haze up. What is something that I can use to clean the headlights (non abrasive) and then seal and protect them?

Also, my car has a LCD 7" screen in the dash. This is my first car with a LCD display. What kind of cloth and product should I use to clean the screen without scratching it?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions on detailing my new car

to clean the headlights, try using a polish and go from there. it should do the trick since the car is new and isn't too bad just yet...

Post Thanks / Like

I got a new Altima last Nov and use Meguiar's Headlight Protectant on it. It's my first use of MHP and the car was new so I'm not sure how good the stuff is. No problems so far. I also use Meguiar's Headlight Cleaner and the Protectant on my 2006 truck but only started in Nov.

I use a Meguiar's microfiber cloth on my LCD display and am pretty sure no scratches so far. I keep a MF cloth in my vehicles so they're wiped down regularly and do get bad. If I ever need to go beyond the MF I'd probably go with some of that liquid used on camera lens or computer screens. Surely it'd be kind enough.

Post Thanks / Like

CG Inner Clean is a great interior cleaner and safe on LCD's
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    to clean the headlights, try using a polish and go from there. it should do the trick since the car is new and isn't too bad just yet...
    Yeah, I just need to find something that isn't abrasive though. I need something that will clean without leaving fine scratches and can be applied by hand. Which brand products should I use?

Quote Originally Posted by glh17 View Post
    I got a new Altima last Nov and use Meguiar's Headlight Protectant on it. It's my first use of MHP and the car was new so I'm not sure how good the stuff is. No problems so far. I also use Meguiar's Headlight Cleaner and the Protectant on my 2006 truck but only started in Nov.

I use a Meguiar's microfiber cloth on my LCD display and am pretty sure no scratches so far. I keep a MF cloth in my vehicles so they're wiped down regularly and do get bad. If I ever need to go beyond the MF I'd probably go with some of that liquid used on camera lens or computer screens. Surely it'd be kind enough.
    I actually think I have some MHP somewhere, I'll use that after they are cleaned up for protection. I'm wondering if it will protect the headlights better than using a paint sealer.

Should I slightly dampen the MF with another product to get any dust, fingerprints, and dirt off it? If so, what do you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 05RLS2 View Post
    Yeah, I just need to find something that isn't abrasive though. I need something that will clean without leaving fine scratches and can be applied by hand. Which brand products should I use?
    if you want to buy something OTC, pick up some megs plastx...

Post Thanks / Like

PlatiX uses Meguiars MDAT (which means it contains abrasives). My headlights are not damaged or hazed yellow, it's like there is translucent a film on the lights. I can only notice it when the lights are on. Whatever it is on them, it's not hard to remove. I can take my finger and swipe the film off of the light.

So I just need a light cleaner without abrasives. It doesn't have to be OTC, just whatever works best.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think I have some MHP somewhere, I'll use that after they are cleaned up for protection. I'm wondering if it will protect the headlights better than using a paint sealer.

Should I slightly dampen the MF with another product to get any dust, fingerprints, and dirt off it? If so, what do you use?
    I can't answer the question about which protects better MHP or paint sealer. My guess is that either one will do although I'm not sure about "all" sealers. I had some PlasticX and MHP left over from a previous vehicle so I just went with the MHP.

I used the PlasticX on my truck right after I traded for it. It did a good job but I followed it up with Menzerna P091E (now IP 2000) medium cut polish with my PC 7424 and a 4" white pad. Looked good. Afterwards, I applied the MHP.

So far, I've been able to remove dust from my LCD with just a real light brush of a MF cloth. I did have finger prints on it a time or two and I put just a very light spritz of water on my MF and got it off. Just enough to say the cloth was damp. If something more serious comes along I'll go with some liquid we have for our LCD tv. My guess is that anything kind enough for the tv screen or computer screen would work on my car's LCD. I going to do some research on it though.

Post Thanks / Like

PlatiX uses Meguiars MDAT (which means it contains abrasives). My headlights are not damaged or hazed yellow, it's like there is translucent a film on the lights. I can only notice it when the lights are on. Whatever it is on them, it's not hard to remove. I can take my finger and swipe the film off of the light.

So I just need a light cleaner without abrasives. It doesn't have to be OTC, just whatever works best.
    Although plastx has some abrasives in it, using it by hand to lightly clean them will be fine. Then you can follow up with the Meguiar's headlight protectant. It is recommended to apply the headlight protectant every 6-8 weeks.

Mothers plastic polish is not as abrasive as plastx and is available locally. There is a meguiar's plastic kit sold on here.

Meguiars Plastic Care Kit: Meguiars #17 Plastic Cleaner & Meguiars #10 Plastic Polish work together to clean and clarify auto plastics.

Polish clear and colored plastic with Mothers Plastic Polish! Clean headlights, plastic trim, and clear plastic panels with Mother's incredible

Detailers Pro also has a nice headlight kit. Various options available for it.

Detailer’s Headlight Restoration Kit
    Detailer’s Total Headlight Restoration Kit, how to restore headlights
    Detailer’s All In One Headlight Restoring Polish, headlight restoration
    Detailer’s Headlight Protectant Spray

You could always use a polish like Meguiar's M205 on your headlights. Again doing it by hand is not that aggressive. I use M205 on a polishing pad once in awhile and seal with a sealant in klasse or ultimate wax.

Post Thanks / Like

Found some LCD by Diamondite sold at AG. Sounds like LCD tv or computer cleaner. Put some on my Wish List and will order next time.

LCD Screen Cleaner, computer screen cleaner, flat screen cleaner, plasma tv cleaner, gps cleaner, navigation cleaner, how to clean lcd, flat panel

P.S. AG also sells a kit that includes the cleaner and protectant along with other cleaning supplies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast