autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Clay vs nanoskin

Looking at bobby g's pics of the audi detail makes me want to ask this. Is clay more effective or just preference. The nanoskin sponge is so much easier to use. I'm just curious about the difference

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Clay vs nanoskin

I have and use the nanoskin disk, towel and mitt. IMO, the disk works the best and is at least as good as traditional clay, probably a little better but with a fraction of the time & effort. The other two media are good but....I tend to use them for light contamination since I've found them to be less effective. Right tool for the right job. With that said, I'll never go back to a traditional clay bar.

Post Thanks / Like

there's really no comparison IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JHL88 View Post
    there's really no comparison IMO.
    In what way in your opinion?
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, the Nanoskin is good for 75% of all of my detailing jobs. In other words, it's effective enough to get off the road grime, rail dust, etc. to my satisfaction.

However, the other 25% of my jobs require the clay bar. The Nanoskin I'm using (medium grade) simply isn't enough to get all of the surface contaminants off. Thus, using clay is in order.

I will not use any wax until I feel that all of the surface contaminants are off of the paint. I will grant that the Nanoskin is easier to use, but there still remains a time and place for clay bar!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivestar_dc View Post
    In my opinion, the Nanoskin is good for 75% of all of my detailing jobs. In other words, it's effective enough to get off the road grime, rail dust, etc. to my satisfaction.

However, the other 25% of my jobs require the clay bar. The Nanoskin I'm using (medium grade) simply isn't enough to get all of the surface contaminants off. Thus, using clay is in order.

I will not use any wax until I feel that all of the surface contaminants are off of the paint. I will grant that the Nanoskin is easier to use, but there still remains a time and place for clay bar!
    Are you using the 6" disk on a DA machine? I agree with you when it comes to the towel or mitt but the disk is far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the two grages of sponges and I bought the 6 inch disc for the da. I don't have good command of the disc. It's easier for me to use the sponges. Faster

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW...A couple of my thoughts:

•The use of any abrasive mechanical-device, to remove contaminates, is going to lead to the instilling of marring---to some degree---on vehicle surfaces.

•With that being said:
    -Clays can be kneaded to embed (hide) sheared-off contaminates within themselves.
    -Can the same be said for the Nanoskins and other similar contaminate removal tools?

•Sure as tootin...
    -You probably can go around a vehicle faster with "Nanoskins".
    -To me that just means the chance of instilling marring at a faster rate...and the likelihood there'll be more of it!

Further thoughts...
    •Prior to the use of any abrasive mechanical-devices for decontamination:
    -Vehicle wash
    -Factor in Chemical Decontamination (ex: IronX; FinishKare; ValuGard).
    -"The Baggie Test" to determine the need for clay/Nanoskins

•After the use of any abrasive mechanical-devices for decontamination:
    -A fine/ultra-fine polishing session...At the very least.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Nanoskin works, but on a new pad/towel, it will marr the first few cars that you use it on.

As far as contaminant removal, it removes about 80-90% of what clay does. If you are striving for complete contaminant removal, I would advise claying after the usage of nanoskin.

Post Thanks / Like

I always use both for my detailing jobs. Nanoskin does tend to mar easier so it usually calls for polishing or at least a cleaner/wax cleaner/sealant with a polishing pad. I always have clay to use for hard to reach areas or corners of panels since I'm using the Nanoskin discs for the DA. I use the disc primarily with my FLEX 3401 on the lowest setting. Consider having both in your arsenal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast