autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone still Zaino?

Hi everyone, new in town, but not new to detailing...just to detailing correctly. I learned that for nearly 10 years, I have been using my PC wrong!
    Moving on...I have a brand new car that was not dealer detailed, I watched them pull the plastic wrapping off the paint and everything! This is my first car with white paint, but I am still swirl-allergic. I ordered a few Zaino products (had I gone on here prior to my order, I'd have gotten Wolfgang instead). My questions are:

1. I know what Sal says, but can I apply Z-AIO with a Griot's red pad?
    2. I know what Sal says, but can I apply Z-5 with a Griot's red pad, or a LC black pad?
    3. Can I expect good results with this combination? I will be using a light clay bar prior to AIO, but no need to compound or polish anything. If this isn't a decent combo, I have lots of products on the shelf.

Thanks guys, this board has been very helpful!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does anyone still Zaino?

I don't know if you've used ZAIO before, but like most AIO's it's a little finicky by machine, just use a very small amount or it will tend to gum up on you. The red pad is ok, I would more likely use something a little stiffer, if all you have is Griot's I'd use the orange, then go to red or black for the Z-5. On the other hand, if the paint is perfect and you don't really need to clean it with the ZAIO but only prime for the Z-5, then the red pad should be fine. I just have found that with the soft pads it's hard to work the ZAIO enough.

It's a good combo, nothing wrong with the Zaino stuff. Still waiting for Sal to come out with something new, the last entry on the "what's new" page of his website is from Feb. 2007.

Post Thanks / Like

If you haven't already paid for ZAIO, do consider DG 501.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! AIO is paid for and delivered. This winter I will be re-doing my Viper, which is 13 years old and swirl city. Looking at CCS pads Mezerna, and Wolfgang for that one, but the immediate priority is the new car. It gets driven daily and I want to keep it looking good. So far it's had Griot's Best Of Show (which sucked), and Pinnacle something or other (sample - thanks AG!), which I liked...I went back to Zaino after a long time away because even though it's not the best, it was at least a known quantity. Never used the AIO though.

Post Thanks / Like

I no longer use Zaino but did use it for years. Setec is right on. Use ALL Zaino products sparingly, i.e. not a lot of product on the pad and super, super thin on the Z-5.

I always used ZAIO on my PC with a white LC pad. Just liked the slightly firmer feel of white vs. black or softer. I liked to work it into the paint and let it do it's thing. I applied my Z polishes (Z-2/Z-5/ZCS) with a gold LC pad. Black or red LC pads would work as well. Sorry, don't have a reference to the Griots pads and their scales of firmness/softness.

Post Thanks / Like

I still used Zaino. As a matter of fact I just used some Z16 on my tires. I still love Z10 Leather and some of the other products. Z8 is an awesome spray wax.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

I will add that when i finally exhausted all my inventory of Zaino stuff and abandoned it for Blackfire Wet Diamond sealant, i had a bunch of ZAIO left over. I still have some and use it occassionally for chemically cleaning some paints. It's great stuff and makes short work of removing transferred "rubs" on paint...things that are above the paint surface from other things like, door ding paint, bollard paint, garage edge rubs, etc. You will like it but again, as Setec mentioned, don't saturate your pad with it. A little goes a long way with Zaino.

I also use DG501 as nubaseal suggested now. Love that stuff as my ZAIO replacement. That and BFGEPC.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Z back a few yrs ago and because its so easy to use, I find using a machine too time consuming with all the putting it down and picking it up, especially with how Z just seems to disappear basically when you start to apply it, especially in your case with white. I would do a clay barring, then AIO and then as many coats of Z-5, do you have ZFX with it?

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't bother with the ZFX. The only advantage I saw was waiting between coats...I prefer to wait between coats. It gives me more time with the car before I have to return it to the missus.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Uranium235 View Post
    I didn't bother with the ZFX. The only advantage I saw was waiting between coats...I prefer to wait between coats. It gives me more time with the car before I have to return it to the missus.
    There's nothing wrong with waiting inbetween coats for sure, its just that the ZFX let's you apply 2-3 coats in a row and since Zaino is so easy to apply/remove that once your in the groove you just wanna keep going and not a lot of time has gone by.

Btw do you apply Z-5 to the windows? I ask because I apply all LSP's to the glassn except KSG and it works out great!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast