autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Gtechniq G1

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Gtechniq G1

I have been reading about this product recently and it seems that many have been impressed, yet I always hesitate with applying anything to the windshield because I absolutely hate streaking/smearing from an applied product.

In my searching I have found those that say there is streaking, and those that say there is none. Is this a matter of prep, such as polishing the glass rather than a wash and IPA? Also, I know this product lasts for some time and is a bit of a bear to get off should you have any issues, so is it worth the risk of potentially messing up my glass, which has been fine without any coatings or do I take the leap? Would it be smart to test on the rear glass rather than the windshield?

Thanks in advance for any advice/tips!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gtechniq G1

I think testing would be an appropriate step. I also think the prep work should be the main thing that would cause the streaking, or someone may be applying it too thick or in not so perfect conditions.

HUMP

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

I experienced terrible wiper chatter using G1.

Surface was properly prepped with Ceriglass, rayon pads and Eraser

New wipers

They work fine when washer fluid is sprayed, but with light rainfall they jump all over.

The windshield on my SUV is not very raked, so I do not expect rain to shoot off, but the G1 does not seem to shed water as well as others I have used.

I found that Aquapel and regular Rain-X performed better

Post Thanks / Like

I have G1 on all of my windows, I have no issues at all, and had no issues applying or prepping it. Was the first coating I used on my glass. Before that I had Griots Glass Sealant on the windows. (I am not a pro, as I just detail for fun)

still beads great, just yesterday it rained, as I was driving it all came off at 40 MPH.

I have no streaking, no glare, no issues w street lights/headlights, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobertJ34 View Post
    I have G1 on all of my windows, I have no issues at all, and had no issues applying or prepping it. Was the first coating I used on my glass. Before that I had Griots Glass Sealant on the windows. (I am not a pro, as I just detail for fun)

still beads great, just yesterday it rained, as I was driving it all came off at 40 MPH.

I have no streaking, no glare, no issues w street lights/headlights, etc.
    :agree:Been using G1 for over 2 years with excellent results. One tip, apply super thin, with 3 coats on the front glass.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this reported before:

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I experienced terrible wiper chatter using G1.

They work fine when washer fluid is sprayed, but with light rainfall they jump all over.
    But I am confused by other comments, as seen here, with no problems what so ever. Could it be the windshield itself that causes chatter, the SUV shield being less aerodynamic? Are people applying G1 to the wipers to avoid chatter? For those of you that do not have issues, have you been using G1 on sedans/coupes?

I addition, is the general consensus on correct application: wash, polish with something like ceriglass, IPA, apply G1 in three thin coats, sit for 15, then remove with G2?

Thanks for the replies, this has been helpful!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

On some of the UK detailing forums there are lots who have experienced the same "juddering" as they call it over there.

There are so many good glass coatings out there that are easier to apply and provide excellent results, I suggest trying something else.

Buffing off the G1 with the G2 (which is IPA) is a workout

It works great on my side windows

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by finallyhere2005 View Post
    I have seen this reported before:

But I am confused by other comments, as seen here, with no problems what so ever. Could it be the windshield itself that causes chatter, the SUV shield being less aerodynamic? Are people applying G1 to the wipers to avoid chatter? For those of you that do not have issues, have you been using G1 on sedans/coupes?

BOTH!

I addition, is the general consensus on correct application: wash, polish with something like ceriglass, IPA, apply G1 in three thin coats, sit for 15, then remove with G2?

"Let sit for 15 minutes between coats without removing. After last coat and waiting 15 minutes, remove with G2."

Thanks for the replies, this has been helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

I had G1 on my tC which had more glass than paint and I was amazed at the results. After 2 years it was still going strong so when I got my 86 I put it on all it's glass and have been just as amazed. I have experienced absolutely zero wiper chatter but then again I have never turned my wipers on, heck I don't even know if they work!
    I applied it just as finallyhere2005 stated above and didn't get any streaks or smudges, just nice clear glass. I did go over the glass with DP Glass Restorer on an orange pad then cleaned real well with IPA before applying. I didn't have any problem removing the residue though the G2 they give you really isn't enough but plain 50/50 IPA works real well.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree that the G2 wasnt enough, at least in my case. My windshield got 2 coats, everything else 1

its on my car which is a sedan. I put nothing on the wipers.

A few both prior, I used Pinnacle waterspot remover, so when I went to apply the G1, it was pretty clean since it had the Griots glass sealant on it after the Pinn. waterspot remover.

so I washed as normal, clayed and then use IPA to wipe down.