autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

New user with a few questions regarding sealants

Hey all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I have been into cars for almost 15 years now, having had a few track cars here and there, but always wanted to keep them looking good. Fast forward to several years, and one daughter later, I am still interested in keeping the family cars tippy top. I have a 2009 Accord and a new 2014 Civic Si. My product closet has not been updated in years, with products like OPT Poli-Seal actually going bad and separating (they are sending me a new bottle of GPS for free). I bit the bullet and spent a couple hundred bucks on some new products I wanted to try. Several Chemical Guys soaps, a few topper waxes that I plan to use in between sealant treatments, V7 of course and a few other misc stuff from them. I also picked up a Nanoskin mitt, a foam gun and a bunch of microfiber towels as mine were all getting downgraded because I drop them lol.

I just clayed the Accord, and put a couple coats of Megs Ultimate and I am happy with how the car came out, as I have kept that paint up pretty well. My questions are with regard to the new Si as it doesn't have any protectant on it at the moment. I liked Poli-Seal, but other than that I really don't have any other dedicated sealants. I like the idea of GPS being a glaze, polish and sealant in one, but I know that I will be using the product more often as it won't last as long as a dedicated sealant. I plan on using the Nanoskin mitt on the Si, Washing it with GC Mr. Pink, then applying a sealant either by hand or with my 7424xp. I would love to get some advice on what the best route is. Should I use the GPS, or get a dedicated sealant? Is it better to apply by hand or with the DA? If I go with a dedicated sealant, am I doing the paint a disservice by not getting dedicated glazes and polishes?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you will always get the best results by using the correct product dedicated to a single function. AIO's are time savers - and are sort of "jack of all trades....".

However, Optimum's abrasive technology is known for being quite good. The only drawback as I see it is that the protection (with GPS) won't last as long as a dedicated sealant. That, and the fact you may not want to use an AIO (abrasives) every time you wax your car - as it may not be required.

I'd go with GPS and then top it with Opti Seal. Then, refresh Opti Seal as needed. When the paint needs a good cleaning again - whip out the GPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New user with a few questions regarding sealants

What about buying a dedicated sealant like Wolfgang DGPS, then topping it with a wax?

Also are there any big box stores (or any brick and mortar stores) that sell good products like DGPS or Blackfire Wet diamond?

Post Thanks / Like

I do it all the time. I've topped WDGPS with Fuzion, & Menzerna PL with their CL wax. I seal my daily drivers twice a year, & use the wax for an extra layer of protection, & to "freshen" up the look every month or 2. I can't honestly, however, say that I see much difference when I layer wax over a really good sealant like those 2. I've just done it for years, & old habits are hard to break!
    I haven't seen anyplace that sells Wolfgang beside here. It's AG's brand. Menzerna is available other places.

Post Thanks / Like

imo wg 3.0 sealant works quite well, as it's easy to apply and remove; tried the blackfire sealant (wowo) , but it doesn't seem to last as long as the wg sealant; haven't used wax in several yrs since the sealants are now so easy to use

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered DGPS about 20 min ago. What are the thoughts on just topping off DGPS every 2 months with a fresh coat if the paint looks good?