autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dealer ignorance

From my family being in the car business I can tell you this with all honesty. Most of them do not understand. They don't understand the scratches comes from improper washing they just think it happens to all cars. Many do not notice it and what not. Plus you have to just put yourself in their shoes. They deal with hundreds of cars with numerous ranges of cleanliness most being incredibly dirty. They just simply do not understand. They really mean no harm, and most people are happy with their dealership wash.

Post Thanks / Like
    Right. That's why I'll take every precaution next time

Post Thanks / Like

I work in the "detail department" at the dealership I work at, and rest assured that people like us who actually care about their cars are a sad few. The materials and products we use on new cars, used cars, customer cars, etc., would make you shudder. That is why when I bought my Civic, I ordered it straight from the factory and took every step possible to ensure it did not go through dealer clean-up. This was a bit easier to do since I work there. I had a few people ask me why I ordered one and didn't just get one off the lot (we had a few 2014 Honda Civic LX sedans in Modern Steel Metallic with a gray interior on the lot), and I got a few weird looks when I flat out told them that I didn't want one that had been washed or had greasy tire dressing all over the tires. I didn't really care, because they weren't the ones who had to get any nasty scratches or swirls out - I did!

Whose fault is it, really?
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frankprozzoly View Post
    The car has 1k miles and a pad is cutting into the rotor. Anyway, I pull it into the garage and young guy starts writing on top of the hood. That info tag they put on your key. So I immediately say wow and the kid looks at me like im crazy for telling him to not write on the hood

You know the techs don't care about your car. I said to the writer I know your busy but pls tell tech to becarefull with the wheels. I said theres not a scratch on the car

They don't care
    I find it sad that you have to tell the writer this. That's why there are clipboards.

I am a dealer tech and I do care and treat the cars I work on as they're my own. If I'm doing interior work, where I am in the car for any length of time, I have gloves on and I take off my shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    I have been told that it is advised to make sure you car is very clean when brought in for service. Supposedly, this will "encourage" the dealer to treat it better.
    True. When I would take my car to the dealer for the warranty services, I made sure it was spotless and told them to be careful with it. Never let them wash it! -Tell the advisor and put the NO Wash post- it notes on the steering wheel.

Sadly, you wouldn't believe how many people spend 80-100k on a car and just don't take care of it.

Post Thanks / Like

You just have to cringe anytime anyone but yourself is gonna do anything with the car at all. Like mentioned not many people understand, you just look and sound insane if you mention anything about it or seem to care. They feel they are trying to help out by wiping the grease off your paint with a sorta clean shop rag with plenty of pressure, maybe if I rub it back and forth 15 times it will be nice and clean. Lol

Fortunately the dealer I get my oil changed at do not wash the cars. It's just change my oil don't touch anything else, tire pressure or anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Where r these dealers that wash cars when u bring them in for service? I don't think I ever had a car washed by the dealer when it was brought in for service? I have only owned Fords & Dodges ?? Maybe I'm too WT looking? LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have said on other forums my local Ford dealer sucks for buying, but fantastic for service. They have in the computer with my info not to wash. The service writer even writes it and circles it on the work order. The tech goes out with paper for the floor, and a big plastic seat cover. They even have one for the steering wheel so they don't touch anything but the shifter. Really can't ask for much more
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charger12 View Post
    Where r these dealers that wash cars when u bring them in for service? I don't think I ever had a car washed by the dealer when it was brought in for service? I have only owned Fords & Dodges ?? Maybe I'm too WT looking? LOL
    My local Ford dealer has a normal automatic car wash they drive every car through even for oil changes. For most people they would like it and think it is a nice service
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Many dealerships pay minimum wage to their car detail crew.
    My Nissan salesman told me they had difficulty finding anyone who could pass the drug test. They used a detail shop just down the road to prep their new cars for delivery. I told him I wasn't surprised as they did not offer any real pay or incentives for the car prep crew,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RA-88Z View Post
    Sadly, you wouldn't believe how many people spend 80-100k on a car and just don't take care of it.
    Oh I believe it, I see them on the road all the time and it just amazes me that some of them spent more on their car than their house.
    I think it's all about the badge for them, as long as it has a high dollar badge on it then it doesn't matter what the rest of the car looks like.
    Sorry I just don't think a dirty scratched up MB is a bigger status symbol than a shiny spotless Corolla, I'll take the Corolla.

I just bought a brand new car a few months ago and it hasn't been back to the dealer one time. When I ordered it and told them to just back it off the truck and park it they thought I was crazy. The salesman spent about 10 minutes trying to talk me into letting them wash it. He finally gave up when I got a little nasty and said "DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR!"
    When I picked up the car the salesman took it and filled it up with gas (I had to tell him it only takes 93 and he didn't believe me so I had to show him the sticker inside the gas door) and I didn't notice it there but when I got home I found dried gas all down the side of the car under the gas door. He couldn't even put gas in it without spilling it all over the car. That's when I decided I won't be going back.
    Unless it's something really major I have decided that my car doesn't have a warranty and if anything breaks I will fix it myself before I will bring it back to the dealer.
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast