autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Please post your Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax water repellency observations

Those of you who have experience with this wax, I need your thoughts. First, let me tell you what I've been experiencing.

This wax/sealant, regardless of me leaving it on to dry for 5 minutes, for 20 minutes, the beading and sheeting diminishes when I perform my water test. When I first put water on it, it starts off sheeting relatively fast, but as time goes on (5-10 minutes) I notice that the beads become more oblong shaped, and the sheeting starts slowing down. Is this typical?

Prior to this wax I was using Meg's Ultimate Liquid. And what really startled me was the car that I waxed before with the liquid version after about a few days was washed with Meg's Deep Crystal car wash soap using the proper dilution ratio, and the beading and sheeting was very poor and slow. The car was clayed prior to application of the product and an IPA wipe down was performed before as well. I then reapplied it to the hood of the test car, waited a few days, the car was garaged during this time, and I then rinsed it down and washed it using Meguiar's Gold Class soap. Same exact thing happening. Very poor beading, very slow sheeting. This is what led to the decision to try out the Ultimate Paste version and see if I could get some sort of better results but I'm not. The beading and sheeting diminishes very quickly.

So, maybe it has something to do with water touching the wax so quickly after buffing the excess off? I then tested it by applying it and letting it dry for 20 minutes, removed it, let it cure for about 4 hours, came back and did the water test and no difference is noticed in the test. Starts off relatively strong, and then diminishes over a 10 minute period of rinsing (simulates a typical afternoon Florida rain shower). Application outside temperature was 75*, relatively low humidity, out of the sun applied in the shade in the garage.

Give me your thoughts. Have any of you noticed this with this wax? I used a different OTC wax on the other side of the hood for comparison and did not notice this happening at all. Beading and sheeting stayed strong. Am I not supposed to have water touch the wax for a certain amount, upwards of over 4 hours after removing the excess? Any help or thoughts appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Please post your Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax water repellency observations

Why are you wetting the surface so close after application? Apply and remove and leave it alone got a little. That might help
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I always let it rest for at least a day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Why are you wetting the surface so close after application? Apply and remove and leave it alone got a little. That might help
    Comparable to Collinite 476s and even some other paste synthetic waxes, I've noticed that wetting the surface immediately after allowing those waxes to dry and then removing the excess doesn't diminish their surface repellency at all, especially after such a short time period during the water test. I did bump the wait period up to 4 hours before wetting and noticed no change. My biggest concern, is as a short amount of time goes by just wetting the surface, I'm noticing a diminished performance in repellency occurring right before my eyes. It's like the wax doesn't like to play with water, which isn't good for climates that are prone to everyday afternoon showers. For a wax that prides itself on increasing surface tension of the paint for beads to roll right off, it sure is leaving much to be desired at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyTruckn View Post
    I always let it rest for at least a day
    I'm going to put up some test sections around the car and test even longer waiting periods.

Those of you who have tried this wax before, are you at all impressed with the water repellency?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Comparable to Collinite 476s and even some other paste synthetic waxes, I've noticed that wetting the surface immediately after allowing those waxes to dry and then removing the excess doesn't diminish their surface repellency at all, especially after such a short time period during the water test. I did bump the wait period up to 4 hours before wetting and noticed no change. My biggest concern, is as a short amount of time goes by just wetting the surface, I'm noticing a diminished performance in repellency occurring right before my eyes. It's like the wax doesn't like to play with water, which isn't good for climates that are prone to everyday afternoon showers. For a wax that prides itself on increasing surface tension of the paint for beads to roll right off, it sure is leaving much to be desired at this point.

I'm going to put up some test sections around the car and test even longer waiting periods.

Those of you who have tried this wax before, are you at all impressed with the water repellency?

okay, but still don't know why you're wetting any wax immediately after application, seems like the wrong way to do it
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Megs Ultimate waxes are sealants, not waxes. For best results, allow them to cure, at least 12 hours, but 24 hours would be even better to allow them to cross link and bond with the paint. Also, I would forgo the IPA wipedown.

I have used Megs Ultimate Paste and Liquid, as well as Collinite 476, 845 and 915 on numerous cars. I have found two coats of either Ultimate wax about 24 hours apart to outlast 2 coats of 845 24 hours apart, and to give 476 and 915 a run for their money. Again, two coats, 24 hours apart.

Post Thanks / Like

•Meguiar's Ultimate Paste Wax contains, by weight, 10-30% polydimethylsiloxanes...synthetic polymers...
    ("a rose is a rose is a rose")

•These types of polymer products should not be exposed to any liquids for a certain window-of-time to fully cure.
    -If not: their characteristics will be compromised---the "setting-up" process(es) of the polymers will have been bollixed!!

•This proverbial window of total-cure-time is: 12-24 hours.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

RPPM is correct. From Meg's website:

• Our most advanced, pure synthetic hydrophobic wax.

That means there is no wax in it. Why are you doing this? It shows/proves absolutely nothing. You might as well drop a meteor on it and say it doesn't protect the paint because there are no beads. The things some folks are concerned about absolutely amazes me sometimes and this is indeed one of those times.
    Rick....now in North Texas

Post Thanks / Like
    You aren't letting a synthetic paint sealant cure. Let it sit overnight without being exposed to any water and it should perform like it should.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never used that , I have used and like 3M performance finish. easy on easy off, beautiful depth. add some good carnauba over it a few days later and its brilliant. the SCG kit is a sealer, and a glaze. like everyone says let it set a few.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast