autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not being able to remove swirl marks, help!

I've got a dark blue 2007/2008 Kia Carens, looks fine from a distance, but up close you can see lots of spider webs and swirls and fine scratches. I believe it's a clear coat, as there was no paint colour transfer unto the foam pad when I attempted to compound/polish.

I did a thorough wash and clayed (Erazer Elasti-clay) with clay lube (ONR mixed solution). After drying the car I proceeded with a GG DA with a 5" backing plate and a 5.5" LC Orange pad. I had on me a bottle of Menzerna SF4000, and tried paint correction on 2 test spots, without any swirl removals.

I made sure to do the marker line trick on the backing plate to make sure the pad was rotating properly. I applied medium pressure at speed 5. I also primed the pad with the SF4000 product as well, before adding 3-4 additional pea sized drops.

Really odd that I wasn't getting any correction or swirl mark removal at all. I had read through the AGO forums of folks doing whole car corrections with the SF4000 and even a white foam pad...

Should I up the cutting compound? If so, do I go with the PF2500 or the FG400 (rated 7/10 for cut)? And do I still stick with the orange pads for swirls removal if I do change to a different compound?

Am I missing something? Hope to get some help and advice, thank you in advance!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not being able to remove swirl marks, help!

Sf4000 is a finishing polish. Get something harder with the orange pad. Follow up with SF on white pad

Post Thanks / Like

I lot of people love FG400 for heavy correction/swirls.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can't even make any progress at all with the griots polisher using 5.5 inch pads pads then I would try pf2500 if that doesn't correct on your test spot then go to fg400.

I use fg400 alot and it works great. I've had good luck with white pads and fg400 on lighter jobs and with a megs mf cutting pad for heavier work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go with the fg-400 and turn your speed up to 6 slow arm movement and make and 6-8 passes

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AG Online

Mike Phillips

num21lock,

Like others said, you're using a product with minimal cut and while it can work it will be a lot faster and a much more efficient use of your time and energy to use a more aggressive product.

I don't think you need to get as aggressive as the FG 400 Compound but instead, take a look at the SI 1500 Super Intensive Polish. You can use this with just about any foam pad to increase or decrease how aggressive the overall abrading action is and some people after buffing with this polish will go straight to wax as it can look that good.

A show car oriented person would re-polish with the SF 4000 and a soft foam finishing pad and then go to wax.

Here you go... listed in order of aggrssevness....

Menzerna - New Names and Product Numbers

Menzerna has introduced all new labels and product names for identifying their products. I know it's easy to stick with what you know and change can be hard but the new product names and identifying numbers are here to stay so might as well make the switch when talking and typing about them..

Post Thanks / Like

I ran into the same issues with PC and Pinnacle Natural swirl remover. I wondered if it was due to my lack of experience or the need to use a more aggressive product.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Fest View Post
    I ran into the same issues with PC and Pinnacle Natural swirl remover. I wondered if it was due to my lack of experience or the need to use a more aggressive product.
    What are you working on?

Pinnacle ASR is a medium cut polish and very capable for removing just about anything that should be removed from a daily driver.

Maybe start a dedicated thread?

Post Thanks / Like

Never had much luck trying to correct with a DA. The forced action machines and a wool pad would take care of that quick.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by sweatthedetails View Post

Never had much luck trying to correct with a DA.

Of course any tool that's gear driven will be faster but for about the millionth time in my life I just took an older retired guy that's NEVER polished paint by machine and using a simple Porter Cable dual action polisher he just learned how to remove swirls and scratches out of his 2003 Mustang Mach 1.

Super simple. Super safe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast