autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Wheel & Tire Cleaning -- A Few Thoughts

Today I cleaned my daughters wheels and tires. Home from college so you can bet how much attention the 2003 Toyota Highlander has gotten :-(.

I wanted to dress tires with Tuf a Shine after I had a great experience on my wife's car recently. Wheels were nasty so I decided to use a progressive plan starting with Meg's D-14301, then Wolfgang uber, then iron-X. Perhaps that doesn't make sense, but I wanted to test the effectiveness of each, e.g., see if the more powerful cleaner would actually do more.

Started with the Tuf Shine cleaner for 3 cycles before being ready for the sealant. While I let the cleaner soak for a minute for each application, I applied Megs non acid wheel cleaner D-14301 to the wheels and let it dwell as well. Scrubbed tire, then brushed wheel and rinsed both. This proved to be efficient and effective. I did the Meg's for 2 cycles only.

The most interesting finding was the power of both the Meguiars and Wolfgang uber wheel cleaner. I was impressed with the Meg's so for the money this is a great value. It had some element of smell similar to iron-x so I assume it had some of the same cleaners/agents in it. Wolfgang the same only stronger. The uber seemed to cut through the caked on mess on the barrels somewhat easier than the Meg's. Frankly, after those 2 products were used, the iron-x did not seem to be effective, e.g., there did not appear to be any iron residue that had not been cleaned by the Meg's or uber.

So, I know I spent extra effort in my wheel cleaning, but the testing showed me that Meg's is great and uber is very strong and effective. Not sure if iron-x is needed. Of course, iron-x will come in handy on my next full detail, but may not be in the plan for future wheel cleanings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Use IronX or Uber - no need for both. Uber has similar Iron targeting ingredients as IronX making using both redundant.