autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

UTTG (new formula) problem

Hi guys. Not sure if I did something wrong, or am just expecting too much out of UTTG but I've never had this problem before when I used to use 303 instead. My Jeep has a lot of textured plastic (fenders & bumpers). After applying UTTG, the new formula one, a few weeks ago, I went offroading this last weekend in very very dusty conditions and then on the way home the next day had a few mild sprinkles on the highway. Due to water restrictions I wasn't able to wash until yesterday.

I used Optimum car wash and a MF wash mitt. When I went to dry the Jeep, I realized the fenders and bumpers still had dirt stained into them in a number of places. I thought UTTG was supposed to make stuff like dirt/etc. come off very easily? The interior guard sure does.

Now, to give some background, I probably didn't prep the plastic properly before applying and I suspect that's my problem (or I hope it is at least) and hopefully someone can confirm this. Prior to application the plastic was subjected to about 9 months of dirt + spray (touchless) car washing including their spray wax stuff.

The day I applied UTTG I did an ONR wash but then went back with 3:1 OPC in a spray bottle with a towel to try and clean the fenders and bumpers a bit better. I used a water filled bottle and towel to try and get any OPC residue off but did notice some black "dirt" stuff still coming off on the towel.

My suspicion is the UTTG got gummy/sticky because I need to go in with a heavy duty scrub brush or something and scrub the plastic spotless basically. I don't think I got it on too heavy but maybe I did? I'm assuming if it was on too thick the same problem might happen to a degree, but would think the wash would clean it off.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: UTTG (new formula) problem

Properly Prep and give it another shot

Opinions vary about what to use. I get good results prepping for CarPro DLUX by using scrubbing with Optimum Power Clean and a medium stiffness brush, followed by IPA (20&#37 on a microfiber towel.

There are also good reviews on Mother's Back to Black Trim Cleaner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll see about getting a good stiff brush to clean the plastic up. Hopefully that will take care of it.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are using a stiff brush, it is a good idea to tape off adjacent paint to protect from scratches.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by flyinion View Post
    Thanks, I'll see about getting a good stiff brush to clean the plastic up. Hopefully that will take care of it.
    When using OPC, I would still do an IPA wipe down before applying UTTG.