autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Hernandez Polisher

"The 2 inch pad idea on the other hand is neat. That shouldn't negatively affect the machine too much. "

The problem with just cutting down a BP and slapping a tiny pad on it is that the housing gets in the way.

- You can't see the pad, b/c the housing blocks your view

- You can't get the polisher into small areas, b/c the housing extends well beyond the pad

The extension is critical to address this issue.

Hopefully, the minimal throw of the GG3 (5mm) will allow the extensions to perform properly without damaging the machine or causing excessive wobble that prevents accurate polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    "The 2 inch pad idea on the other hand is neat. That shouldn't negatively affect the machine too much. "

The problem with just cutting down a BP and slapping a tiny pad on it is that the housing gets in the way.

- You can't see the pad, b/c the housing blocks your view

- You can't get the polisher into small areas, b/c the housing extends well beyond the pad

The extension is critical to address this issue.

Hopefully, the minimal throw of the GG3 (5mm) will allow the extensions to perform properly without damaging the machine or causing excessive wobble that prevents accurate polishing.
    Respectfully, if it's that small an area, maybe a rotary with a small pad is the best option, since it doesn't oscillate at all. When you deal with really tight areas, you don't really want oscillation.
    Have you seen this video by Ammo NYC?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cAnevFwZeY]Best Polisher Selection: Rupes Ferrari F40 - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    The machine isn't going to last as long with that extension. You have increased the leverage placed upon the mechanism and it will be more likely to fail. I wouldn't do this to a machine I wanted to keep.
    This is a DA, which oscillates randomly is why.
    If it was a rotary it wouldn't be affected as badly. If it was a rotary you would need to be careful to put pressure at the center of the pad. If you pressed hard on the edge of the backing plate, that would stress the machine more.

The longer the spindle, the more leverage will be put on the mechanism, and the more likely it will fail.
    The 2 inch pad idea on the other hand is neat. That shouldn't negatively affect the machine too much.

agreed. i don't even like using a small rotary backing plate with a DA screw on my DA. IME, it comes loose and there is the potential for it to fly off (which it has) and damage paint. the longer the extension you use with the DA, it can snap and break off (especially if you apply to much pressure). while i haven't cut out the megs extra-cut disc down to a 3" size to accomodate the backing plate that it already comes with, i can image it would do some serious correction cause it's almost basically spinning freely since there is no foam in between the microfiber and velcro like the cutting & polishing discs have...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Necessity is the mother of invention!!
    I think Bobby said it best and that is why I tried to figure out a way to make a machine or modify one that fulfilled my necessities and I thought I'd share my idea with you all.

I'd love to have the Rupes air powered tools like in Larry's video, but thing is I don't have an air supply at the moment. One day I will and I can look back at the day(s) when I was making my own.

So as far as a Rotary, I have one with the normal bp and even a 3" bp.

The name of my Rotary makes me chuckle lol

Post Thanks / Like

PC with 5.5" bp and 3" bp

Post Thanks / Like

And now I have a 3" Rotary with direct drive that doesn't spin randomly and I also have a 2" DA. I guess if I never needed to I could cut the Rotary bp down an inch to make that a 2" too, but at the current moment I haven't ran into that necessity.

Post Thanks / Like

And my beloved <3

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackthorn One View Post
    Respectfully, if it's that small an area, maybe a rotary with a small pad is the best option, since it doesn't oscillate at all. When you deal with really tight areas, you don't really want oscillation.
    Have you seen this video by Ammo NYC?

Best Polisher Selection: Rupes Ferrari F40 - YouTube

I think the idea of this polisher is not to create something that is the best option, but to create something that is a good option given the financial limitations that most people face.

If you already have a GG2, Megs, PC, GG3...you can use this type of set-up.

It won't be as sexy as the Rupes Machines...but it will work

It might not work as well as a Rotary...but, it will work

People keep bringing up oscillation, but I do not think 5mm is a big deal. Get out a micrometer and look at what 5mm (2/10") really is. When you place a pad on your machine and think you have it perfectly centered...it is probably not. Say it's off by 2mm, well that equals 2mm of oscillation or throw.

Additionally, the foam pad absorbs some of this lateral energy, so I doubt the pad is actually deflecting 5mm at the point of contact with the paint.

The GG3 has 5mm of oscillation and the rest of these DA's have 8mm or so.

The oscillation is what gives you some increase in safety over a rotary

"Have you seen this video by Ammo NYC?"

I have watched that video

I am unwilling to purchase 12 polishers and a 60 gallon compressor

Post Thanks / Like

Also the reason why I went with a GG3 and modified that and not another tool. Is because it was designed for a 3" bp and 3" pads. Also since I've seen videos and read reviews that the GG3 was pretty weak and since I was planning on cutting down a bp down to 2"s. I thought to myself having a weaker machine could be a great alternative/idea to have a 2" bp with.

So the PC is sold with a 5.5" bp, but a 3" bp is also sold for the PC. That's a 2.5" inch difference.

However, if the GG3 is designed for a 3" bp and if one cuts it down to 2"s. That is only a 1" difference. So I figured the difference wasn't significant so I proceeded.

As far as the extension goes. It is on there pretty tight and I don't imagine it flinging off. If the bp flings off then it could have flung off with or without extension IMO.

However, I can imagine the extension either breaking off or being bent or bending something if to much pressure/force is allowed at an incorrect angle. (but that would be a bad idea to do from the very beginning)

Also, that's is why I made sure to put a disclaimer at the beginning of this thread. copy/paste "(Also, if you do decide to make one of these it will be at your own risk)"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sproketser View Post
    Top idea mate ! Great in door shuts , a great tip .
    Thank You and what is Great in door shuts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    Was thinking hole saw from the beginning. But Art doesn't need my help, he knows what he's doing. And I'm impressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online
    Thank You Kingston

Quote Originally Posted by Legacykid View Post
    Dude mad respect for you. That is awesome, looking forward to see more on this. Maybe a video review in the future?
    Yeah, I have been wanting to make a video actually. Just time and schedules hasn't let me just yet, but a video is on my to do list.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast