autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 2" whamm bam thank you mamm pipe sound like a good idea idea.

My friend AllenK (Kyle) sent me another idea too.

I did try the drill hole saw, but it tore the pad up.

Hot knife foam cutter I will have to check it out too. Are those sold at your local tool and hardware store like Home Depot?

Also I might have someone send me 2" professional sample pads that will be on the market soon.

Seems like my idea beat what is coming out in a few weeks to the punch.

Feels cool that I can take credit for being the first (that I know of) to have posted how to make this and documented/shared with everyone on the world wide web.

I walked around my car opening up the doors, trunk and hood and nothing really caught my attention to make a video of me using the tool. It is the weekend though, which mean other cars will be at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't care to much for the color and now it's in more stealth mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Hernandez Polisher

^ you just voided the warranty lol...

Post Thanks / Like

I think after everything I've done to this machine. I voided the warranty a few days back lol.

It got Fonzied

Post Thanks / Like

Top idea mate ! Great in door shuts , a great tip .
    05 M/T SER Altima . NismoOBXDynomax exh .RL FSTB&BTD, H&R Springs & Triple C Bolt, RLRShifterBushing, EBC Ft/Rr Pads/Rotors, Synto/Wix Filter, RP MaxATF PS, Motul BF/C, Pennzoil Gear Oil ,Wix cab filter, Interstate, Michelin Pilot A/S+

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    Was thinking hole saw from the beginning. But Art doesn't need my help, he knows what he's doing. And I'm impressed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Dude mad respect for you. That is awesome, looking forward to see more on this. Maybe a video review in the future?

Post Thanks / Like

The machine isn't going to last as long with that extension. You have increased the leverage placed upon the mechanism and it will be more likely to fail. I wouldn't do this to a machine I wanted to keep.
    This is a DA, which oscillates randomly is why. If it was a rotary it wouldn't be affected as badly. If it was a rotary you would need to be careful to put pressure at the center of the pad. If you pressed hard on the edge of the backing plate, that would stress the machine more.

The longer the spindle, the more leverage will be put on the mechanism, and the more likely it will fail.
    The 2 inch pad idea on the other hand is neat. That shouldn't negatively affect the machine too much.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like
    This sort of occured to me subconsciously when I looked at the pictures. I agree. Between the paint job and that long shaft, its different, and seemingly unnecessary, but I love the innovation and experimentation.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
    This sort of occured to me subconsciously when I looked at the pictures. I agree. Between the paint job and that long shaft, its different, and seemingly unnecessary, but I love the innovation and experimentation.
    Yes, applications for a small pad on an extension are limited in Production Detailing.

I think the applications for this set-up are for a Concours level finish that includes small areas that cannot be polished by even a small polisher b/c the housing gets in the way.

Try polishing the engine slats on a 911 with a small pad and an extension and then try one by hand or balancing half of a 4" pad on the surface, while the housing of the polisher is millimeters away from the adjacent slat.

Art has mentioned previously that, because the 2" pad us easily spun by the GG3; the speed (OPM) can be reduced from the high speeds normally required with polishers like the GG3 and PC. This reduced speed should control the wobble that the extension may induce and prolong the life of the bearings.

I will have my hands on the "Hernandez Polisher" next Thursday at Meguiar's Thursday Night Open Garage. I think Art is planning on shooting video at that event.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast