autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Polishing and hail damage

Late August I'll have my car in to fix about $2800 in hail damage. The paint has needed to be decontaminated for quite awhile as it sat on a dealer lot for over a year. I also plan to go on vacation in early September and would like to get a good coat of wax on it. I guess my question is, should I decontaminate and hit it with a AIO by hand before the hail damage is fixed? I probably won't be able to buy a DA before we take it on vacation so I'll be doing it by hand. I have M205, Griots one-step, and plenty of MF applicators and towels.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing and hail damage

If you are going to get the hail damage fixed i would wait to finish that before doing work on your car.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure it is nice and clean for the PDR Guy so he will understand your high standards for the car.

The PDR guy will be putting his hands all over the paint, feeling the defects as he works them out. Any dirt on the surface will be ground in.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd wash it for sure to ensure the surface is very clean as already mentioned. Not only will it reduce marring from the PDR guy rubbing all over the vehicle, but it will make the dents easier to see as well.

I'd wait to do any correction until they are done. Not only will they be rubbing all over the vehicle to find the dents to pull out, but they may wash the vehicle too like the PDR shop I took my car to when I had hail damage removed last year. No telling what will happen to it then. No sense in having all your hard work un-done while in the shop.

You might just hit the car with a good spray wax to protect the car during the trip and then get down to the serious work when you get home. Aquawax or Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax should last a week or two.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Wash it thoroughly before you hand it over to the PDR guy, but save the corrective steps for after you get it back.

PDR can't fix everything. Depending on the severity of the damage and its proximity to edges of the car, conventional repair may be in order, and you'll be looking at a repaint/blend of those areas.

I actually watched the PDR guy fixed my vehicle, talked with him at length and changed all the panels with QD before he worked on them. It's an interesting process to say the least. Not for the faint of heart if you're really emotionally invested in your car. Lots of touching, grabbing parts and yanking, tapping with hammers, prodding with long pointy objects, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll do my normal Sunday wash then garage it until Monday when I drop it off. I have Griots spray wax, one-step sealant, M205, and Ultimate Paste wax for correction before and after my trip. I have clay magic and a nano mitt for the decon as well...I really need a DA and some pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an appointment today to get the hail damage repaired on our new car. The body shop calls me about an hour after I drop it off telling me that there has been prior dent repair. What!? It was supposed to be a brand new car. Apparently Billion fixed a hail damaged vehicle and sold it to us as new. Progressive is going to the body shop to write a new estimate and I'll be contacting whoever I can to get this resolved.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quickstrike32 View Post
    I had an appointment today to get the hail damage repaired on our new car. The body shop calls me about an hour after I drop it off telling me that there has been prior dent repair.

What!? It was supposed to be a brand new car.

Apparently Billion fixed a hail damaged vehicle and sold it to us as new.

Progressive is going to the body shop to write a new estimate and I'll be contacting whoever I can to get this resolved.
    Note:
    -Most cars damaged while in inventory, or in transit,
    are simply repaired and sold as new.
    -Disclosure of the damage and repair(s) varies by State.
    (It is often dependent on the total dollar amount involved.)

•If not repaired, and sold as: New...but damaged:
    An "S"-title (statutory write-off), or similar
    "type-of-damage" title...should/would have been issued.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Note:
    -Most cars damaged while in inventory, or in transit,
    are simply repaired and sold as new.
    -Disclosure of the damage and repair(s) varies by State.
    (It is often dependent on the total dollar amount involved.)

•If not repaired, and sold as: New...but damaged:
    An "S"-title (statutory write-off), or similar
    "type-of-damage" title...should/would have been issued.

Bob
    Yup it's legal but unethical. They did a hack job repairing it and now I have to pay out of pocket to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup. They had a huge hail storm up in Reading PA and tons of cars were damaged pretty bad. Next thing you know - all the dealers are having "blow out" sales.

Don't buy a car in Reading PA. Free advice right there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast