autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Glass Water Spots question

Hey everyone, so I had a question for you. I recently got a new job and have been cleaning some cars "professionally" for a little while now. The thing that stinks is the water causes extremely bad water spots, even on a heavy duty filter water spots are a pain, especially on the glass. It can literally take 1-3 extra hours of work, depending on the size of the vehicle, just to polish them out by machine as well as by hand (for around the edges). Is there a product that I can use during or after the wash that will help get rid of them or stop them all together and make polishing not only easier but just help save time.
    Last edited by iMuf; 07-18-2014 at 11:44 AM. Reason: //

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass Water Spots question

Won't prevent, but makes removal a lot easier:

CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover

Post Thanks / Like

I have washed my car regularly with unfiltered well water and never had an issue. When washing the car I wash top, sides, front and back. After I am done with a section I rinse the whole car till I am done. I find keeping water on it (especially in the sun) keeps the water from drying and hence spots. Then when the wash is complete flood the car, go over with a blower, and towel any remaining spots.

You could also try CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover some people on swear by it and get great results.

**Sorry above was posted while typing LOL**
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoTaurus View Post
    I have washed my car regularly with unfiltered well water and never had an issue. When washing the car I wash top, sides, front and back. After I am done with a section I rinse the whole car till I am done. I find keeping water on it (especially in the sun) keeps the water from drying and hence spots. Then when the wash is complete flood the car, go over with a blower, and towel any remaining spots.

You could also try CarPro Spotless Water Spot Remover some people on swear by it and get great results.

**Sorry above was posted while typing LOL**
    What's weird is that is almost exactly how I wash any car I do. I don't know what it is about water in this area but it is bad. Over where I live I have never had an issue with water spots. Even out in the sun. But here where I work, it spots crazy bad and we wash them under cover out of the sun with fans around so it is fairly cool. I will say, it doesn't spot that bad on the paint, but the glass will be covered by spots.

I will have to try that stuff and see if it helps.

Here is a thought that I just had myself, could I use some glass cleaner first just to clean the glass and then put a glass coating on. And then after the wash use the spotless water remover. Do you think that would help prevent a big part of the water spots? I think maybe some of the water spots are maybe old ones that have never been taken car of and maybe they are holding on to the water a little more causing new/more spots.
    Last edited by iMuf; 07-18-2014 at 12:19 PM. Reason: //

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried using a water softener?

May need to go to an RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) set up for washing cars.

While this does add extra costs, it would easily be outweighed in the time savings you will get and can get an extra car per day done.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -db View Post
    Have you tried using a water softener?

May need to go to an RO (reverse osmosis) or DI (deionized) set up for washing cars.

While this does add extra costs, it would easily be outweighed in the time savings you will get and can get an extra car per day done.
    DB is correct. In LA, I have access to it. Makes life much easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    2018 Colorado ZR2