autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts: IronX Snow Soap Over Traditional IronX?

I may be over thinking too much. As the excitement builds for me to get my baby, I was thinking of applying IronX on the car then going over with the Snow Soap with foam cannon neat.

Anyone ever done this?

or

Is this overkill?

The car has been sitting out side for 13 1/2 months and uncovered for the last month.

P.S. Not really worried about soap use as I have 4 liters of it.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Thoughts: IronX Snow Soap Over Traditional IronX?

i have done this process a few times on some cars that really needed it, other than that i choose one or the other.

Post Thanks / Like

To me, IXSS isn't really meant to fulfill the same role as traditional IX.

The snow soap is a good shampoo when you need heavy cleaning power, and can help remove some iron buildup when used in very strong dilution, however it most likely will not produce the same results as IronX spray.

My suggestion would be as follows:

First foam the vehicle with a heavy concentration of the IXSS (not necessarily neat, I personally think that is a bit of a waste if you plan on using IX anyway), allow the foam to dwell, pressure rinse, then wash the vehicle using the 2 bucket method with IXSS in your wash bucket. Rinse the vehicle and blow mostly dry, then spray a liberal amount of IX on the exterior of the vehicle and allow to dwell for several minutes. Once the IX has done it's thing, pressure rinse (very well!!!) to ensure all of the IX has been washed from the surface and from all cracks and crevices. Now you can either jump right to claying, or just go over the vehicle again with a quick wash with the remaining IXSS suds you have in your bucket, rinse again, and then dry completely.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    Thanks for the tips, and I know the IronX soap is not a replacement. Just trying to save some time if the IronX would not be hindered too much by the Soap. I will follow the chem decon with nanoskin.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

The snow soap is a good shampoo when you need heavy cleaning power, and can help remove some iron buildup when used in very strong dilution, however it most likely will not produce the same results as IronX spray.

First foam the vehicle with a heavy concentration of the IXSS (not necessarily neat, I personally think that is a bit of a waste if you plan on using IX anyway), allow the foam to dwell, pressure rinse, then wash the vehicle using the 2 bucket method with IXSS in your wash bucket. Rinse the vehicle and blow mostly dry, then spray a liberal amount of IX on the exterior of the vehicle and allow to dwell for several minutes. Once the IX has done it's thing, pressure rinse (very well!!!) to ensure all of the IX has been washed from the surface and from all cracks and crevices. Now you can either jump right to claying, or just go over the vehicle again with a quick wash with the remaining IXSS suds you have in your bucket, rinse again, and then dry completely.

Great explanation! I have been interested in and reading up on pressure wash foamers for cars.

I see you mention to pressure spray and rinse the car with the washer, what degree nozzle do you use? Will Pressure washer spray not affect the cars paint?

Not trying to hijack thread, Thank you

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Zac HATES Iron!

You forgot to add IRON-X to your Clay Lube

Post Thanks / Like

Zack, what do you call a heavy concentration in a bottle for a foam lance? I also read that you shouldn't use IXSS in your wash bucket but instead use squirt some in your wash mitt for each panel. What do you think?
    Always keep the shine in your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oceans05 View Post
    Great explanation! I have been interested in and reading up on pressure wash foamers for cars.

I see you mention to pressure spray and rinse the car with the washer, what degree nozzle do you use? Will Pressure washer spray not affect the cars paint?

Not trying to hijack thread, Thank you
    My Karcher pressure washer (2000PSI) has an adjustable sprayer... I use the widest setting. I do not get too close to the paint (~2-3 feet away or further). Use caution, but you should be completely fine if you are using a lower psi unit and a fan tip.

Quote Originally Posted by runrun411 View Post
    Zack, what do you call a heavy concentration in a bottle for a foam lance? I also read that you shouldn't use IXSS in your wash bucket but instead use squirt some in your wash mitt for each panel. What do you think?
    I typically use ~6oz of IXSS in my foam lance as my intentions are just good cleaning and not iron removal, and just a small amount (~1.5oz or so) in my wash bucket to make some suds. You can also apply the shampoo directly to your mitt for a better chance of iron removal as you (and CarPro) suggested, however I have never tried this.

Retired Professional Detailer