autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Headlight restoration - specifically how you sand

Ive got the gg 3" and it does work for wet sanding lights. Dont expect much paint correction (can do light tasks on high speed and orange pad), but it is still useful (3" soft brush for leather cleaning is another favorite use).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfoxengr View Post
    Ive got the gg 3" and it does work for wet sanding lights. Dont expect much paint correction (can do light tasks on high speed and orange pad), but it is still useful (3" soft brush for leather cleaning is another favorite use).
    I bought a GG3 specifically for sanding headlights. Used it for the first time today, and I'm pretty disappointed. I knew going in that the gg3 has little power, and is not suited for paint correction, but I assumed it would handle sanding tasks. Did a set a of Hyundai lights today during a detail with this process:

Sand (with gg3 da) 1000 grit, 1500, 3000.
    Polish (again with gg3) using SSR3 and 3" orange pad.
    Results: unacceptable, still cloudy/hazy

So, repeated the process only adding 500 grit for the first step. Results still not good.

Tomorrow I go back (ran out of daylight today) to try again either by hand or with the drill and 3" attachments. The power drill has worked well in the past, just hoped to get better quality sanding with the gg3. Another option I guess would be swap the 3" backing plate onto my gg6 and give that a shot.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have a compressor, the 3" pneumatic DA sander from Harbor Freight is $25

It is what they used down at Meguiar's HQ for demo nights

Theirs has a Rupes inline air regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    If you have a compressor, the 3" pneumatic DA sander from Harbor Freight is $25

It is what they used down at Meguiar's HQ for demo nights

Theirs has a Rupes inline air regulator
    No compressor. Not sure which way to attack these lights. Initially I even thought that there might be a defect with the Hyundai headlight lens. The gg6 should have plenty of power for sanding headlights, shouldn't it? I may try the 3" bp and attachments on the gg6. Really don't want to waste more sandpaper by "experimenting." (at least not this week lol)

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HeffJamm View Post
    No compressor. Not sure which way to attack these lights. Initially I even thought that there might be a defect with the Hyundai headlight lens. The gg6 should have plenty of power for sanding headlights, shouldn't it? I may try the 3" bp and attachments on the gg6. Really don't want to waste more sandpaper by "experimenting." (at least not this week lol)
    Try the 3M refill kit and use the papers on your 3" BP and DA

$12

P500, P800, P3000

3M Headlight Lens Refill Kit – 39049

Post Thanks / Like

Try the 3M refill kit and use the papers on your 3" BP and DA

$12

P500, P800, P3000

3M Headlight Lens Refill Kit – 39049
    Already had a 3m kit in the shop, and bought more papers separately. Sanded with the gg6 and 3" bp... worked a little better, but took a lot of time. The few headlight restorations I've done in the past took an hour total... I spent an hour on just one lens today. The da's just don't seem to have the power needed to sand a really bad set of lights. I never had this problem when using the power drill with 3" attachment. Although, I never tried restoring lights that were this bad. Went through several sanding disks, then sanded some by hand... da 500, 800, 1000, 1500, then by hand 2000 and 3000, followed by Megs 105. The lens is now clear except for some areas around the edges where I guess I lost some nerve. Scheduled to do his wife's car in 2 weeks, same service. Have a little practicing to do. I'll take pics.

Is 2 hours to restore a set of relatively bad headlights an unusual amount of time? Or do you guys run into this regularly?

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely hit them with the GG6. Power was the main factor in me getting the 6" over the 3". More practical to step down to a smaller BP and dial back the power instead of struggling and wishing you had more. Hyundai lights should be soft and easy to work with. So, even with severe oxidation, I would start with 800 & 1000 on the DA and hand sand 2000 & 3000. (I would prefer to sand all by hand but that's just my preference.) Compound twice/polish once/protect. You should be good to go with that. And don't neglect those edges and corners or they'll be an eyesore.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to address deep scratches from automatic car wash brushes in tight areas that have a rubber edge?

Post Thanks / Like

What is the best way to address deep scratches from automatic car wash brushes in tight areas that have a rubber edge?
    I always tape up to the edge of rubber seal. 800/400 will usually clean those up, depending on how much oxidation is there in addition to the scratches. I'm almost willing to put the mortgage that it's a Mustang in the pic because they're notorious for scratches on the side of the headlight closest to the wheel wells.
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

I think that's the problem I had with the Hyundai lens yesterday... more scratches than oxidation. I think they need to be worked with the 500 paper a little longer.

Yeah, the edges were an eyesore. I had already scheduled a re-do (again) next week. I'm going to do edges by hand and block more time for headlights in this condition in the future.

Thanks for all your feedback!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast