autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What type of clay bar to use?

I was looking at all the different types/brands of clay bars and wondering what is the best type to use? I would be using it for daily driver cars. In the past I would use the Megs clay bar that you can get at the local auto parts store. When I was with Tuscarora Dave the other day I forgot to ask him what to use. We used a red clay bar on my hood, but that was due to severe oxidation so I know I wouldn't use that on the rest of the car or on other cars. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

For everything else I will be getting the 6 inch HF DA, and the OPT kit with polish, poli-seal, opti compound, pad cleaner, micro towels, and foam pads from the autogeek store. I am choosing this product since TD said they were good products and since they are dust free, or produce minimal dust when used.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What type of clay bar to use?

A fine(blue) or medium(yellow) traditional clay bar should be able to knock out the rest of the vehicle though if you wanna try new the new trend you could always get a clay eraser or mitt but I prefer traditional clay over the new stuff though

Post Thanks / Like

I would get something like Nanoskin Autoscrub Speedy Prep Sponge, it will last longer than clay and about the same price. Plus it is quicker than clay. If you drop it just rinse it off, no need to throw away.

You could also get the pads that go on a DA or the towels. They are about $50.
    Detailing is a way of life, not a hobby!

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Nanoskin Blue sponge or equivalent. That is the newest technology and I no longer use traditional clay. Nanoskin sponge or similar is faster you do not have to worry if you drop it and you can finish the job considrably faster than the Old fashioned way.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep seeing these products pop up in discussions and two questions keep coming to mind.

- Are they as effective as clay?
    - Are they as safe as clay?

I have two dark colored cars and have found a way to clay them both without any marring. I thought I'd read someone here who used a nanoskin product and then had to go back to clay after doing the baggie test because he could feel there were some contaminates left.

From price perspective the Nanoskin pad looks really good. It's cheaper than clay, and even when including Glide spray it's only a couple of dollars more. Once you factor in the spray being a concentrate, it becomes much more economical.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I keep seeing these products pop up in discussions and two questions keep coming to mind.

- Are they as effective as clay?
    - Are they as safe as clay?
    yes to both
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

To answer your questions I would say yes they are effective as clay in removing contaminants. I have personally found that nanoskin (fine grade) is more likely to mar the paint than fine grade clay.

The reason for this is that when you perform a mechanical decontamination using clay the contaminants embed in the clay.When you use nanoskin the contaminants are contained between the surface of the paint and the nanoskin.

I personally do not use clay or nanoskin unless I am following up with polishing step.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 2013 Black Mustang GT and I use the Nanoskin Blue Sponge. I do not have any marring issues. With clay I had some minor marring issues. I no longer use clay as IMO it is as effective as clay and IMO safer than clay. No kneading, no clay on your hand, no bits of clay caught in nooks and crannies, etc.

If you drop your clay bar it is toast. With the sponge (or equivalent like TuxedoTaurus mentions) that will not be an issue. I would say the best way to see if the sponge is better than clay, try one and do a side by side compare. I did and no longer use clay. IMO since your car is Black the BLUE sponge or equivalent is the best way to go. I cannot comment on the Yellow Sponge as the Blue is fine for me.

Post Thanks / Like

I really want to try one of theses towels, it was going to be my next purchase. Then I found a bunch of clay bars on sale at KMart for $2.50 each. I now have enough clay to last years I will get one of these someday though as they are the new way to clay.
    ​1991 BRG Miata
    Brad's Detailed Touch
    https://www.facebook.com/Bradsdetailedtouch1

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for bring up an older thread but I just ordered the nanoskin sponge and did a side by side comparison with a clay bar and could not tell the difference. Its also a bit faster since you dont have to stop and knead the clay. I am truly converted now, since I got mine from amazon prime for 12 bucks I will be sticking with this product. For 12 bucks it really is worth trying cause I am sure afterwords you will be convinced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast