autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

What To Look for When Picking A Detailer

As I sat back having a beer, last Sunday, after washing and using Klasse AIO for the first time, I came to the conclusion that I’m “not as young as I once was” (Toby Keith ?) and I was tired. Klasse AIO was easy on – easy off and I can see why this is favorably talked about here.

My tired physical condition after washing/waxing the car wasn’t a new revelation, but I thought to myself that after following this forum and reading the detailing steps performed by many of you here, that I don’t know if I could really handle a full fledge Wash, Clay, PC Polish and Wax (at least not all in the same day). Note that I never even got to my interior. I did, however, gained a real appreciation for those of you who do this for a living.

Bottom line, I took a look through my local Milwaukee phone book for Detailers and to my surprise found allot more listed than I would have thought. My thought is that I could probably justify getting my car detailed a couple times a year and then, with all the supplies and knowledge I gained from following this site, maintain it in between.

What do you look for or what should I look for (question) when visiting these local Detailing establishments to decide ?

Tired Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    tom,

if i were you i would look for someone who does it indepedently. i own my own detailing business and I can tell you know if you find someone that does it becuase that's their income you will get a better detail. If you take it to a place where they have 5-20 employees chances are you are going to be just another # and quality is not as good. And there was a quote on here " a good detail isn't cheap, and a cheap detail isn't good" If you want an awesome detail expect to pay on the upwards of $150, especially since you live up north.

find out what kind of chemicals they use, and find out what and where they got their experience from. most people don't do it, but you hiring someone to do your car, so make it like an interview, if they don't want to take the time to talk, they're not worth your money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Pretty much what Dust2Glory said. Iv seen a bunch of so called "Detailers" here that do it for a living but really they kindof suck, bunch of them just use fillers too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Find one that is knowledgeable in the products that he is using. I see to many people that know nothing about the goop that they are slapping onto cars, all they know is how to use it, but look for someone who has a depth of understanding, loves their job, strives for perfection, eager to improve and please their customers.

Post Thanks / Like
    This seems like good advice... Espesialy, look for someone who is independent, and does this for a living. Not, the bargain place down the street that has 5-10 high school kids drying and waxing cars.
    I am a personal trainer, and it sounds like it would be a big help for you to get in the gym. Maybe after 3-4 weeks in the gym you might be able to detail longer. My friend details in orlando, and he had alot of back troubles.
    I gave him a simple regime, and in no time he was detailing like mad again.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been detailing in Orlando fl for 16 years I wake up at 4.00 Am train at my gym for 2.00 Hrs and then go to my first appoint. It makes a big deference when you stay in shape,and I am no spring chicken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another good thing you could ask them is for a reference list. I know I keep a list of clients that are happy with my work and always ask if I can use them for a reference later on down the road for new clients. 9 times out of 10 they are happy to be used as a reference for future business.

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

Thanks allot for the good advice. I know you’re right about my need to start some type of exercise routine (hear it from my wife all the time). I’ve been working at this sitting in a chair computer job for way too many years and have gotten lazy (along with allot older).

As far as my search for a Detailer, I appreciate the tips. I feel I know allot more about technique and products since I found this forum and this should help in my evaluation.

Thanks again … soon to be exercising … Tom

(Who knows maybe I’ll be ready for that PC in a couple of months

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to look for is someone who is willing to spend time with it. Not just race to get it done as fast as they can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom: on the detailer search, ask them for references and check those references out. Ask about quality of work (guarantee's etc). A good detailer should be able to provide a number of references.

Excercise My Friend! I'm a 63 year old diabetic and excercise daily! Treadmill at 5:30am for a couple of miles, work at the computer and travel job, and detail BMW's. In the beginning, the DeWalt weighed a ton, but now it's a whole lot easier. Between the treadmill and the detailing, my blood sugar is pretty normal (along with the insulin). I occasionally dip too low, but a couple of sugar wafers handle that.

Nuff said on the exercise...just go for a routine and it will become a habit.

Toto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast