autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Microfiber hand test??

Quote Originally Posted by tpr1634 View Post
    I use the baby's butt test
    I just hate it when I get a little behind in my work!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped doing "the hand test" years ago. I now use the Foot test!

Seriously...........
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

You should be fine. As for the hand test you are 1/2 correct. I have towels that do not grab at all and they are Micro-fiber towels made in Korea.
    I also have the AGO gold MF towels too; and they grab by touch. However, in no way shape or form do these scratch the paint (the other 1/2 of my answer). I do prefer my Blue Angora MF towels over the Gold by far. I use the Gold to remove compound or polish, the Blue Angoras I use for removing my LSP.

That is just me but I use the "hand test" for testing quality of the MF towel. That will let me know which MF towel to use as the last LSP

Now I am sure alot of people on this forum may think I am a little cookoo for coco puffs....but so be it

Post Thanks / Like

Get a significant other and no more hand tests

I am starting to try and color coordinate my towels actually to simplify things.

1 color for paint
    1 color for interior wipe downs
    1 color for windows
    finally 1 color for wheels and tires

same thing with pads,

Post Thanks / Like

The microfilament strands of a microfiber towel are much thinner than a cotton strand. The grabbing that you are feeling are the microfilaments grabbing at your finger prints. Rub the microfiber on the back of your hand and it'll feel smooth.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tought it was the opposite, I read in an article called "Determining the quality of a microfiber towel" this:

The first and probably most important test to determine the quality of a microfiber towel is touch. How does the towel feel to the touch? Is the microfiber cloth soft? Would you trust it on the finish of your car? Does the material “grab” the imperfections on your skin when you run the microfiber towel over the palm of your hand? You want this to happen… when you can feel the towel grabbing your skin that means it’s a microfiber towel made from split microfiber. High quality microfiber cleaning cloths feature split microfiber, after the splitting process each microfiber in a microfiber towel looks like an asterisk if you’re looking at a cross section of the fiber. The open spaces in the microfiber created by the splitting process allow the microfiber cleaning cloth to pick up and hold dirt as well as absorbing liquid. If you don’t feel a “grab” from the towel it may not be split, if it’s not split it won’t be any more effective as a cleaning towel than a cotton rag.
    Is this information wrong??

I have chinchilla towels and super plush jr and they grab the imperfections on my hand but I just bought a "Dry me crazy drying towel" and it doesn't grab my hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ndcec View Post
    I tought it was the opposite, I read in an article called "Determining the quality of a microfiber towel" this:

Is this information wrong??

I have chinchilla towels and super plush jr and they grab the imperfections on my hand but I just bought a "Dry me crazy drying towel" and it doesn't grab my hand.

I would say stop worrying about it, you have quality towels, they'll be fine.
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to do the CD test but have stopped that practice once i started to source MF from only reputable vendors. That was the method of wiping the shiny side of a CD disk with about the same pressure you would on vehicle paint and then inspect the CD for scratches. If it scratched the CD it will scratch your paint.

Never heard of this hand test but did go out and try some of my towels and sure enough...they grab my manly yet delicate hands! But they still don't scratch my paint.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the hand test comes from "Junkman2000" on youtube. At least that was the first I have heard of the "hand test."

Post Thanks / Like

a lot of that grab is usually static, line dry instead of tumble dry and it disappears. i always tumble dry towels, but never cloths

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast