autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Topping question

Hi everyone - I recently detailed my new car and have a question about topping with wax. I detailed about less than 1.5 weeks ago and am now considering topping with Bouncer vanilla ice wax for that further depth and shine. My detail consisted of the following:

1. Wash and dry with Pinnacle body shampoo
    2. Iron-X
    3. Wash and dry with Pinnacle body shampoo
    4. Clay with Pinnacle ultra poly clay
    5. Polish with Pinnacle paintwork cleansing lotion
    6. Seal with Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant
    7. Wait 12+ hours
    7. 2nd coat Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Sealant

After doing this, it's been 1.5 weeks with one wash session already done. This is a daily driver that goes about 50 miles/week and stays under garage environments most of the time.

My question now is since this time has passed, is it necessary to clay again before applying wax? After my first post-detail wash, I noticed the feel isn't exactly like it was right after the detail which was slick as butter on glass. It's still slick but I can now feel and see the smallest amount of bumps - I'm guessing these are just the unavoidable contaminants a daily driver is vulnerable to. And I'm talking a few bumps here and there, not the millions I felt under a plastic bag before I did my first clay. These bumps look and feel like something you can remove with your fingernail. I'm concerned that if I should be claying again, will that affect my valuable paint sealant?

I read several other articles in this forum and have found the common routine to be just wash, dry and wax if it was clayed recently. But I'm wondering if the folks following this routine are just accepting the few contaminants that a wash can't remove. Or are they doing this routine because their first layer of wax prevents those contaminants? I'm leaning toward just doing this routine since the clay was recent.

Any advice is appreciated! By the way, attached are some pictures of the results from my first detail. Any feedback is also appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Topping question-img_2469-jpg   Topping question-img_2480-jpg   Topping question-img_2494-jpg   Topping question-img_2499-jpg   Topping question-img_2503-jpg   Topping question-img_2466-jpg   Topping question-img_2477-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Topping question

No need to clay again and if you do it will remove some, if not most, of your sealant. If the small amount of surface debris bugs you, you can remove them with a QD and a MF towel or even a toothpick with a small precise effort. Again, if there aren't too many as you describe. I have topped my Blackfire with wax and sometimes overlook the occasional stuck on stuff after a wash. I have also chased off the occasional stubborn crap too either during the wash or by the methods above.

Post Thanks / Like

Disclaimer: The following is just my honest opinions.

•I wouldn't bother with putting a Wax on top of
    PBL-Sealant. Question:
    Don't you want this Sealant, and its characteristics, to be: "THE LSP"?

•There is no guarantee that the choice of Wax you mention as a topper, will actually add "depth and shine".
    Instead:
    -There's a very good chance of it compromising the underlying Sealant (admittedly part of the layering debate).
    -But (also admittedly): Becoming magnet-like...attracting dust and a host of other contaminates---along with other undesirable Wax characteristics...more so than most any Sealant ever would.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. I read Mike Phillip's topping definition/how-to article and learned a lot from there. I know it's a bit of a risk but I guess my mind keeps thinking what else can I add to go that one extra mile. And I'd hate to end up going backwards so I may just hold back. Luckily I just bought a small size Bouncer's wax.

One thing he stresses is to test your topper on a small section. But I'm confused on what to do if the topper does not add positive results. Do I strip down that section of everything and re-do the routine of clay/cleanse/seal? What's the best way to "undo" your topper test?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by draganer View Post
    What's the best way to "undo" your topper test?
    •The topper-test should be performed on a most out-of-the-way, inconspicuous area on the vehicle as possible.

•However...If this is not feasible in your view-point:
    -Since the topper-product for this topper-test is a Wax: Don't Worry...

-It will soon be degraded and eroded to the point where a "normal person's" visual acuity will no longer be able to detect any traces of the aforementioned Wax-topper.
    -And, if no photos were taken:
    Same goes for the topper-testing area as well.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend trying the PBL Coating Booster first. May help bring back the shine and slickness you found right after your detail. I use BFWD and finish washes with BF Midnight Sun Instant Detail or BF Polymer Spray and the slickness and shine come right back out.
    2016 Accord EXL V6 w/Navi & Sensing - Black/Ivory
    2019 Acura RDX A-Spec - Black/Red; 2019 Acura TLX Base 2.4L - MSM/Black
    2008 CRV EX - Black/Black 2003 Accord EX V6 - Black/Tan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by draganer View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I read Mike Phillip's topping definition/how-to article and learned a lot from there. I know it's a bit of a risk but I guess my mind keeps thinking what else can I add to go that one extra mile. And I'd hate to end up going backwards so I may just hold back. Luckily I just bought a small size Bouncer's wax.

One thing he stresses is to test your topper on a small section. But I'm confused on what to do if the topper does not add positive results. Do I strip down that section of everything and re-do the routine of clay/cleanse/seal? What's the best way to "undo" your topper test?
    I'd say 2 coats of PBL Sealant is going the extra mile. I put one coat on my vehicle and it was excellent.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL