autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Detailing of a new Tesla Model S

Hi everyone,

I found the community here a couple of days ago and I've been reading up ever since.

I've seen some threads dealing with detailing a new car. I recently purchased a Tesla Model S85. I love the car. The other day though, a bird that had an "accident" on my paint and I didn't notice it for a couple of days. Afterwards there was a ring around where the dropping was. This made me realize that I really need to take care of my car.

Anyway, the new detailing threads mainly assume that a car has been outside or on the showroom for months before being sold. Teslas are made to order though and the paint job looks to be in superb condition to my eyes. After I freaked out with the bird droppings, I washed the car and added Zymol Cleaner Wax. I'm attaching a photo of what it looks like. It didn't remove the ring caused by the bird droppings unfortunately or the small micro scratches my wife caused the paint when she tried to wipe it off without me arhhh.

I was wondering what products you guys would recommend to add protection to the car? I've read Mr. Philips' excellent article on detailing a new car. I'm a completely newbie to car detailing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Detailing of a new Tesla Model S-teslawhite-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Detailing of a new Tesla Model S

Welcome to AGO. I would use Opti-coat 2.0 or get a pro installer to put Opti-Coat pro on.

Post Thanks / Like

I've done a few Tesla's and the paint usually comes from the factory in bad shape. While they have been getting better it's not much. The paints on the cars is very soft.

I would highly recommend opti-coat pro as a protection option
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've read about opticoat and watched a video of somebody actually applying to a Tesla.
    I've read the repairing damage to the opticoat is very difficult and removing it in the future requires buffing?

Which products do you guys recommend in that case?

The steps to take, as I understand them would be to:

1-Wash & Dry
    2- Clay
    3- Polish - I'm not super clear on what this step is.
    4- Seal with Synthetic Sealant or Wax
    5- Opticoat ?

Post Thanks / Like

Opti-Coat is applied after the paint has been properly prepped and corrected to a reasonable level.

When examined under different light sources, it's likely that you have some paint defects (swirls, marring, scratches) that can be improved upon.

Here is the overall process:
    1) Wash
    2) De-contamination (Clay and Iron-X)
    3) Paint Correction (May use compound, medium polish and finishing polish depending on the severity of defects)
    4) Chemical wipedown to remove polishing oils (not needed if the final polishing step was done using Optimum Hyper Polish or Primer)
    5) Application of Opti-Coat

I would recommend getting a pro to apply the Opti-Coat Pro coating. It is far superior to the 2.0 product that is available to consumers.

Once Opti-Coat is applied, any wash swirls and defects cannot be removed without removing the coating and reapplying. The coating can be removed by way of compounding (or some form of heavy correction).

Post Thanks / Like

To Autogeek Online!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still hesitant with opti-coat because I'm not too sure about the long term effects of it.

I'll be doing the standard polish\sealant route for now.

I've been taking a really good look at the point and there are NO swirl marks or imperfections that I can see. I must be one of the lucky ones with this model. Based on this, what polish \ sealant would you guys recommend?

I'm going to make some purchases today. I'd love to hear what you guys think of my selections:

1- Wash - Meguiar's car shampoo (have some from a while ago).
    2- Clay - BlackFire fine Clay and Clay Lubricant
    2B - IronX
    3 - Menzerna Super Finish (SF 4500) PO85RD or BLACKFIRE Gloss Enhancing Polish ??? Any better suggestions based on the condition of my paint job mentioned above?

4- CarPro Eraser

5- BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection

I'll also be purchasing a Griot's Garage orbital polisher and a few different foam applicators.

If you guys have some more fine tuned suggestions, I'd love to know!

Post Thanks / Like
    As an owner and detailer of my own, I would be cautious about how you go about it. The clear coat is very soft and swirls easily.

The Menzerna lines work really nicely, but I've also used Megs 105/205 and Optimum polishes on the MS.

One thing to note: when you do wash, make sure you dry the rotor hats quickly. They're not coated well and rust easily over time.

My recommendation with the MS is to go the coating route. GTechniq, 22PLE or opticoat 2.0. Not sure what you mean by "long term effects," but they last 1-2 years in general with opticoat lasting longer. I'd go this route. Also, check out TMC; you'll see numerous threads on coating there.

Sent via mobile device.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Post Thanks / Like
    I also think that as an owner of a white MS you have a bit of breathing room that owners of the black and blue ones don't. Menzerna 4500, Sonax perfect finish, m205 and Optimum finish all work well.

Sent via mobile device.

Perfection is attained by slow degrees; it requires the hand of time. (Voltaire)
    2013 TESLA MODEL S | Gyeon Syncro | Gyeon Cancoat

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Are there any long term experiences with opticoat out there? I've seen one review where somebody hand applied it and it was flaking off.
    I'm really on the fence right now as to go the opti-coat route or polish\sealant...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast