autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPC smell

Post Thanks / Like

OPC smell

I just got my bottle of 17oz OPC the other day just to see what all the hype was about for this cleaner. I generally don't use mush apc, just on fenderwells, and cleaning pads and such.

In the past I have gone through a gallon of Adams APC and then switched to CG AC+. The Adams was good and smells like cleaner, and the CG smells citrusy, but man does the OPC smell bad... It is nauseating. I did separate it into a plastic bottle and refilled the original container with a diluted 3:1 of distilled water. I haven't used it on the ride, but I cleaned my bathroom sink with it and the smell was so potent, I almost gagged.

Is this normal? The smell lingered for quite some time. I cannot see using this on any interior and don't want to use it in general due to the smell.

I know we get used to some chemical smells, M40 being one- smells akward the first time you smell it, but then you start liking it. But this is something else...

Is anyone else having this problem with OPC? Did I just get a bad bottle? It was from AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: OPC smell

i don't find the smell of OPC all that offending, but then again it doesn't smell all that great either. if you bought the 17oz. bottle it's RTU and already diluted down if i'm not mistaken...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    if you bought the 17oz. bottle it's RTU and already diluted down if i'm not mistaken...

I hope it isn't... not for that price. It does state on the bottle about dilution ratios.

Post Thanks / Like

so if the 17oz. bottle comes RTU at full strength and can be diluted down, then it makes it a better value. i use it at 3:1 for just about everything and not full strength...

Post Thanks / Like

Some cleaners leave less of a scent behind than others so you may have to try a few that offers good cleaning ability and not offensive to your nose...

Out of all the products I've used, 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner is the most offensive to my nose and its smell lingers, something not acceptable to me..It works great but I personally don't like it's scent...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I actually prefer the smell for a APC and it doesn't linger for that long. It smells like a cleaner smell for me. I cant speak for Adams because I don't buy anything Adams, but OPC is quite a bit stronger than CG all clean+, while being just as safe IMO. I was having trouble with some dirt ingrained on the arm rest of a door with all clean+ 15:1. I switched to OPC 4:1 and the dirt came off quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Some cleaners leave less of a scent behind than others so you may have to try a few that offers good cleaning ability and not offensive to your nose...

Out of all the products I've used, 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium Interior Plastic Cleaner is the most offensive to my nose and its smell lingers, something not acceptable to me..It works great but I personally don't like it's scent...
    Cockpit is not bad I think you are referring to plastic deep cleaner. I had the same exact feelings about that one.
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Meguiar's APC+? I find it more offending than OPC

Post Thanks / Like

i don't find the smell to be offensive at all. not that i'd care in the first place because it works so well, but still...

maybe there is something in it that just doesn't agree with you. i know everyone is different so that could be the case but i have to be frank - i've been an OPT fanboi for a long time and i think this is the first time i've seen anyone truly object to the smell of OPC, haha. not many people say they are pleased with the scent, but i've never seen anyone talk about gagging from it hahahaha

maybe call them and discuss with Dr. G since he formulated it. he would know best.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

I give up.. what does OPC stand for? I personally love the smell of 1z Cockpit cleaner. I have not tried the Plastic deep clean but I have a bottle I will checkout soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast