autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Does this look like a professional job?

I just could not imagine turning out a car like that! I live in a small town and would not want to walk around and let people see me if that was my quality of work. I want people to say damn that guy does good work!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    By the way, the OP is not alone...

What I've learned over the years that in most cases, the people that work at dealerships, not so much the detailers but the people in charge... they don't know anyting about the paint on the cars they sale and they don't care to know.

So people that buy new cars that don't hang out on forums like this one to learn how to avoid dealership horror stories get taken.
    Thanks for all the input. I just want to clarify that this place is a "professional" detail shop and not a car dealership. They have been in business here for many years and I thought had good reviews.
    Unfortunately I wonder if they have tried to grow to much and get low quality workers in with not much training.

Yeah, I learned a big lesson. That is as Mike says.... Post a wanted ad here, looking for a known detailer in your area with modern day techniques! Or, learn and do it yourself.

I'll post here with the outcome from asking for my money back.

Post Thanks / Like

If this is a "professional" detailing shop then you must have asked for the "ghost flame" detailing job. I promise it would make your car cooler or make it go faster

^^ You know I am joking right?

I feel bad that your car was molested, and I echo the rest of the geeks in saying don't let them try and fix it. Bring it to a real detailer!! How do you know if he is a real detailer?? Here is my simple plan:

1) Educate yourself
    2) Let them open their mouth FIRST (after you explain your goals and expectations)
    3) Ask questions
    4) ..... and ask to see their portfolio, tools, shop etc...

I guarantee you that if you know the lingo, the process etc.. that it will take you 2 seconds to pick out a hack. I absolutely LOVE when a customer comes to my shop and shows interest, and asks questions. I actually like it when they challenge me about information they may have gotten online or from a buddy! In the end I will not accept the job unless they are 100% confident in my skills and knowledge.

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

It's not professional work. A professional is going to laugh at rotary finished paint correction services from places like this all day.

The question is, would a professional have charged you $400 to achieve a perfect finish on a non-metallic black surface? Maybe, that price is usually for a one-step and depends on how soft and marred up the paint is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    It's not professional work. A professional is going to laugh at rotary finished paint correction services from places like this all day.

The question is, would a professional have charged you $400 to achieve a perfect finish on a non-metallic black surface? Maybe, that price is usually for a one-step and depends on how soft and marred up the paint is.
    Meh, I know several guys on here that have converted back to rotary. Heck I might start using a rotary for heavy correction then follow it with a DA polish.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend, sorry:

I had this page open since the beginning of the thread to place a reply. I've ran out of time, and came back today could see you got 6 pages worth of precious answers by our friends.

I couldn't read them all to follow your advance, but I'm in for my $0.02...

Looking at the pics there are nasty holograms, like everyone said, poor work.

However, the pics says more to me. First thing, you're good at the Gary's washing method, since I see no improper washing damage to your car. This indicates you are talented, have all the care needed, and you will get rid of this by yourself.

Put your GG polisher to work, you'll not even need the M105 (sure, can't assure 100%, but I'm 98% in my opinion). You'll hang out using M205 and a white polishing pad, or even a finishing pad, or both (one followed by another).

Do it in the shade, wash the car thoroughly first, do your test spot using the M205 and finishing pad first, on inconspicuous place.

Always use a Swirl Finder light to inspect your work while you move between sections.

If you are not so sure about your abilities, feel free to ask in forum, inform yourself, watch as many Mike Phillips's threads and videos as you can.

If you even got Menzerna SF4000, I'd suggest you to give it a try.

Hope my $0.02 worth you something, although I'm sorry for you, I'm pretty sure you'll get the hang out of it by yourself, and in the end, will be proud you did it.

I'm placing a thread where I removed holograms and poor work like this on a black Kia, this weekend. I'll let you know when it's done.

Good Luck,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

I always pull it into the sun everytime Im finished. If its an over cast you gotta rely on the lights indoors
    Preserving your ride http://www.customab.com/

Post Thanks / Like

This post has been on my mind since i first read it. I feel terrible for you. Its so unfortunate and such a crumby feeling when some one messes up your pride and joy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by parttimer View Post
    Meh, I know several guys on here that have converted back to rotary. Heck I might start using a rotary for heavy correction then follow it with a DA polish.
    I agree, I'm not saying the rotary is useless, I continue to use mine rigorously. But the days are gone where I try to finish out paints (especially non-metallic black paint) without following up with a DA finishing polish as you said above. And the fact that the shop tried to get away with trying to hide behind polishing oils or glazes to cover up their rotary slop is what makes them unprofessional.

Post Thanks / Like

Some paints will finish better than others with rotary or DA, it's up to who's polishing to do the test spot, inspect the results, before reproducing it in the whole car.

It's obvious either the guy doesn't knew better what he was doing, or this is a classical (one more) hack job.

I insist in my comment above, grab your GG polisher, M205, document it and share your glory with AGO community.

Can't wait to see.

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast