autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Plastic trim lower-body scratches, how to deal with them? (pics)

What they are describing is very tricky, and although I agree that it does slightly improve the look, it does not restore it, mainly because the texture of the piece was physically altered by the scratch. So although I do support the suggestion, I would have to warn to have realistic expectations since heating and manipulating the trim just a "bit" too much would definitely convert a small problem in a bigger one.

The mechanism in which the heat gun works is based on the fact that the damage to the plastic leaves micro/macroscopic "frayed" edges and the heat will melt those thin plastic edges into something that would not catch your eye as much. It is essentially the same process (although mechanical and not thermal) that we use to "blend" a RIDS. If you CAN'T safely a RIDS, you can at least feather it so that only a trained eye or a keen eye looking will find it.

When using the thermal method, you heat the plastic till what you perceive is the best you can do.... then you dress it (or coat it). Personally I would not run the chance of putting heat to it if a more conservative cleaning and coating (DLUX) would work

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    What they are describing is very tricky, and although I agree that it does slightly improve the look, it does not restore it, mainly because the texture of the piece was physically altered by the scratch. So although I do support the suggestion, I would have to warn to have realistic expectations since heating and manipulating the trim just a "bit" too much would definitely convert a small problem in a bigger one.

The mechanism in which the heat gun works is based on the fact that the damage to the plastic leaves micro/macroscopic "frayed" edges and the heat will melt those thin plastic edges into something that would not catch your eye as much. It is essentially the same process (although mechanical and not thermal) that we use to "blend" a RIDS. If you CAN'T safely a RIDS, you can at least feather it so that only a trained eye or a keen eye looking will find it.

When using the thermal method, you heat the plastic till what you perceive is the best you can do.... then you dress it (or coat it). Personally I would not run the chance of putting heat to it if a more conservative cleaning and coating (DLUX) would work
    Not worth having to pay to fix it!

Post Thanks / Like

A safer method to feather the scratches in textured trim IME is to use CarPro Reflect and an orange pad on a DA. Try Speed 4 first and increase as needed. Wipe off residue immediately. This is another application of the BEST polish on the market!
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice explaination

Post Thanks / Like

check out U tube there is a good vid on how to use heat gun on plastic trim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zkilo View Post
    check out U tube there is a good vid on how to use heat gun on plastic trim
    I was just thinking I need a video.. I don't own a heat gun but my neighbor is a Bomb Tech so he probably has one lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12